Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2014, 01:32 PM   #1
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

Lightbulb Setting up a Frag Tank

I have some 3'x1'x1' acrylic tanks laying around as well as a stand, sump and some live rock.

I want to try a frag tank, but can't run it off of my existing setup, since my sump already gets to a high level from overflow back fill.

The sump I have extra has many chambers and should be able to handle a lot of live rock and any other filtration I need for a frag tank.

Questions:
1) What size pump should I use? The main frag tank is about 25 gallons and the sump would be around 15-20. Pumps I have laying around: Mag 5, mag 12, Sicce 5.0, MaxiJet 1250. For random water flow, was thinking of using a SCWD

2.) The live rock is sitting in a box in my garage. How do I get it ready for the tank? Does it need baked or cured in any way or can i just put it in with water and wait for the phosphates to leech?

3.) When filling up the frag tank, should I take some water from my main display tank water change, just to get the bacteria in?

4.) Do I need to include any fish in the frag tank? How about inverts? I plan on having a large sheet of egg crate for coral plugs

5.)What filtration should I use. I am thinking a filter sock and live rock. Is a skimmer needed? I plan on doing weekly water changes in line with the display tank

Unread 11/19/2014, 01:41 PM   #2
hbrochs
Registered Member

Frag tank

Bulk Reef Supply has a video on this.

Good luck,

Howard

hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2014, 01:53 PM   #3
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

I have watched it. It really just goes into lighting and to use a sump, not really what filtration to use...unless they have a part 2

Unread 11/19/2014, 03:13 PM   #4
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

What I would really like to do is attach the frag tank to my display sump. Problem is, the display tank has a coast to coast overflow that pretty much fills up the display sump when I turn off the power. I am sure if I plumb a frag tank (about 6 feet across the room) to the common sump, the drain water will overflow it.

I do have another sump, could I use that as a safety overflow for the main sump? Essentially increasing the volume of the sump?

Tags
filtration, frag tank, live rock, pump size, sump