Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2021, 06:21 AM   #26
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib View Post
Hi Lebowski! I remember you!
I feel even more special! Thanks for being online. I hope to share some exciting work soon!

Unread 03/03/2021, 12:20 AM   #27
gkarshens
Registered Member

Hello, I am thinking about jumping back in as well. I sold off my tank about 10 years ago. Kids ate up all the money! Tagging along here because I want to learn what’s new as well. I had the MH VHO setup as well. A lot has changed over the last decade!

It's about time!
gkarshens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2021, 09:11 PM   #28
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^^ Lots of great reefers in the So Cal. area, you could join the club that puts on the RAP show's around the country, I would follow build threads for great tips. Happy Reefing.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2021, 01:28 PM   #29
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
Hello all,

My goodness, it's been so long since I have posted on this site. More than a dozen years ago I left my 10 gal seahorse tank and 29 gal reef.

Anyhoo, I am considering setting up another tank. This time, I am 32. I will be living on my own, I have a buttload of cash. You know... as opposed to when I was 16, living in my room and selling scrap metal for money to purchase corals. Times have changed.

1. Since I have been in the hobby, there has been change. Obviously. The biggest change is in the lighting. I am used to probe/pulse start ballasts with a 250w 14k-20k Halide bulb. Oh the days. Shimmer effects, DIY canopies and an electric bill.

Is anyone still running halides? I see a growth in the LED. Obviously there are benefits environmentally and perhaps even in coral growth, but please enlighten me or try to deter me from my old ways... otherwise, perhaps LED ISN'T necessarily the way to go. Like I said, money isn't an issue here. However, I am still very active in reducing costs and energy consumption.

2. Automation. Is anyone running any really effective gear (software) for maintaining temp, salinity, alk, ca, mg, top offs, water pumps? I would like to set up the most automated system imaginable. I like tech. I would like to feel safer knowing I can leave my tank alone for a few days if necessary.

I am basically interested in this topic for now. I have read countless opinions and can also do the math and plug in some scientific variables with PAR and all that, but I am looking for actual experience and some anecdotal evidence and backup for claims.

Thanks for any interest. Please feel free to post pictures and detailed information.
Hi, I use to run my system with the 250watt Phoenix bulbs, but switched to the Mitra LX 7206 lights, and couldn't be happier, as they have a very good shimmer effect and no disco bulb effect, plus they don't transfer heat to my system like my old M/H, VHO system did. The new G5 Radion lights are nice to, as I installed 8 on my sister's system. I still prefer the Mitra's though. For the tech stuff, look into the GHL Profilux or the Apex Fusion systems, and both are really good systems for automation.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote