Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2020, 06:00 PM   #1
docdubz
Registered Member

Getting a new tank?

Hi all, I've been wanting to get back into the hobby for a long time now. And, I'm starting to go stir crazy in the house with this stay at home order stuff, so I'd like to get started as soon as possible. My biggest problem holding me back from going on an online shopping spree right now is... I can't decide what size display tank to go with, nor where to get it from. This lockdown stuff has made buying a tank, especially anything reef-ready, from a LFS pretty difficult so I think I might have to order a tank online.

So, I've been looking online for a while. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places but most of what I seem to be finding is acrylic and/or rimless, I'm looking for glass (I have a feeling my sons beagle would find a way to scratch the snot out of acrylic) with a traditional rim (because I like enclosed canopy's and I'm not so sure about putting a wood canopy directly on weight bearing glass like that). As for size, I have room for anything that will fit in a 84"x24" footprint.

I'm having a bit of a meltdown about what size to be shooting for. Half of me is screaming "go as big as you can you dummy!" the other half of me is pleading "yea you idiot get the most ridiculous tank you can!" but then I have the other, other half of me (my wife) saying "do what ever will make you happy" and, obviously, I smell a trap.

If you were me, what would you get and where would you order it from (this way I can blame some random internet person once that trap gets sprung)?

docdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You will be able to fit anything up to & including a 265 gallon standard aquarium in there.
A 180 standard glass aquarium would be nice. It will be easier to light ( less $$$) & maintain because of the lower height.

Unread 04/06/2020, 04:11 PM   #3
paul17
Registered Member

180 is the best imo…..
not to deep you can still reach the bottom
same with front to back
I used to own a 10.000 dollar system
it was the best aquarium I ever had

Current Tank Info: cad light 100 gallon
paul17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 09:44 PM   #4
docdubz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
You will be able to fit anything up to & including a 265 gallon standard aquarium in there.
A 180 standard glass aquarium would be nice. It will be easier to light ( less $$$) & maintain because of the lower height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul17 View Post
180 is the best imo…..
not to deep you can still reach the bottom
same with front to back
I used to own a 10.000 dollar system
it was the best aquarium I ever had
Thanks for the replies. I was going back and forth in my head between 120 and 180 being the most preferable choices. And, realistically, there is not much difference in equipment cost going for the 180 compared to 120. I mean, at that point what's couple extra hundred bucks? Now for the final question. What manufacturers have the best reputation for price/quality?

docdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 05:58 AM   #5
Sharpimage
Registered Member

I just received a waterbox 220.6. I am very happy so far. I had a red sea before, and was very happy as well. I would avoid the red sea 750 xxl and 900 xxl. Google the failures. A custom tank will be 2 months out at the least. Good luck. I had a 120, 300 deep dimension, 5 foot shallow and now a 180. I like the 180 the best, personally

Sharpimage is offline   Reply With Quote