Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2020, 04:22 PM   #1
TJ
Registered Member

making the LED jump

We're downsizing a 240 tank, that is a 17 yr. set up, to a 90 gallon. Of course we can't use the current lighting system, which was an 'old' setup (I guess), MH's combined w/pcs.... It's been a lot of yrs since our initial setup researching from 22+ yrs. ago! I know I might get a LOT of opinions, but Id like some input
on great leds for a 90 reef tank, about 120 lbs live rock, a few fish, & will be adding a few softies. We'd like fixtures that can retro mounted in a canopy. Something very techie is not necessary... I've read & read numerous reviews on various led lighting & my head is swarming....

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Great LED's are Radions. Not my opinion but Many others, & you don't need the newest ones. Gen 4 is still a great light.

Unread 03/18/2020, 04:41 PM   #3
LQT
Registered Member

Agreed, pick up a pair of used Radion xR30 G4 Pros right now for a good deal as people upgrade to the new G5s. I wouldn’t go with the latest G5s at this point as there are a bunch of issues reported with the new Mobius app, set up, fit and finish issues. Let the early adopters go through the growing pains of a newly released product.

For a more economical solution, you can also look into the ReefBreeders Photon 48 V2+. While not as sexy as Radions with all the bells and whistles, they are solid performers. Adam of Battle Corals uses these fixtures with stunning results.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2020, 07:35 AM   #4
TJ
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Unread 03/21/2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

BRS TV has a new article on AI HYDRA lights.
Take a look.

Unread 03/23/2020, 10:37 AM   #6
TJ
Registered Member

Thanks so much! That helped tremendously, luv their tutorials!

Unread 03/26/2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I've used a Kessil AP700 for the last 4 years. It also a really great light. It's techy perhaps if you want it to be, but I haven't touched it since I set it up. I really like the shimmer from the two point sources. I imagine you would want two units for your next tank. Anyways, it's a great light.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2020, 08:30 AM   #8
TJ
Registered Member

thanks! I've been looking at those, as well!

Unread 03/27/2020, 03:30 PM   #9
cvrle1
Registered Member

If you are going to mount inside canopy, looks dont really matter. Look into Noopsyche K7 Pro II units or even something as basic as Viparspectra 165W units. These are as low tech as you can get, as they only have a timer for 2 channels and that is it. But they are dirt cheap, and will grow any coral you want, including SPS. For 90G you would need 2 of these, and at cost of less than $250 for both, they cant be beat for value.

Now if you need all the bells and whistles and features, thats cool, but just keep in mind that none of them will grow corals better. They are for your enjoyment only.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2020, 07:51 AM   #10
TJ
Registered Member

cvrie1, I'll definitely look at those too.... Yes, I just want leds that will be suffice in growing corals, just lps, & strong enough for an anemone. Right now, we're using (just trying them out, from a friend), a couple of the "China- black box" kind, I think they're called. No idea of the wattage. We had a few mushroom rocks from my 240g that I used in this "new" reef, & they have just shriveled up to nothing! Don't know if the lights are too strong? They're just a 2 channel set up (actinics & the whites, reds, greens...) is that what that is? Since they're just sitting on top of the glass until hubby gets the canopy completed, maybe they need to be turned down about 1/2 way? Thanks so much guys, for the direction, gives me much needed guidance on which ones to end up with!

Unread 03/28/2020, 06:11 PM   #11
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Another recommendation I have might be one of these.

https://www.rapidled.com/corona-by-rapid-led/

I've built their old kits in the past and they were really nice, yet basic. Now it looks like it all comes premade. But I bet this would suit your needs just fine and be half the cost of my previous recommendation.

cheers,
FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2020, 06:42 PM   #12
TJ
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 04/03/2020, 11:30 AM   #13
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Don't forget T-5 and LED combos. It'll probably be the closest 'type' of light to what you have. LEDs alone are very directional, even with wide lenses, and cast much stronger shadows than MH bulbs. They also tend to be optimized for a more blue look. That's great for florescence, not so great for overall aesthetics, IMO. Coming from MH/PC, you're likely going to see the average LED spectrum looking like an actinic only tank. Now, these fixtures are 100% programmable, so you're not stuck with that look. It's just how most of the LED-lit tanks are set up. You can absolutely dial back the blues, but I wonder if you lose some efficiency since blue LEDS are PAR heavy. I honestly don't know...just another research point.

I think T5s alone are a little lacking. I loved T5/MH combos, and now I'm a big fan of T5/LED combos. If you go custom, you can really dial in what you like. On a 90g, you could put 2-3 LED fixtures in the center of the hood, flanked by 2-3 T5s on each side. Build it like the LEDs are MH bulbs. You could also get an inexpensive 4-6 bulb T5 fixture and put some nice LED fixtures angled into the tank in front of the T5s, but I prefer the first option.

LEDs can bring out colors that the 'old tech' couldn't hardly touch, but I think they look better with some help from that 'old tech.' They don't need it for growing capability. It's completely an aesthetic decision.

Also, have you considered a 120g? I think you'll like the depth over the 90g, especially coming from your current tank.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 04:52 PM   #14
wildman926
Registered Member

I use a 2 bulb T5HO, along with a 3 strips of 21ledusa.com Reef Bar Pros on my 90g. The Reef Bar Pros come with a controller for dusk/dawn ramping time and I am using 1 445 actinic, and 2 blue heavy. The T5HOs are 1 Coral plus and 1 Blue plus

Excellent growth. Hope this helps

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote