Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/13/2008, 11:42 AM   #901
sellout007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaintGuru
I think our next experiment should be to have folks who have seen success with Vit C reduce their frequency of dosing while keeping the amount added the same. I'm just curious if someone, who has been adding 2000mg 2x/day would continue to see the same benefit if they reduced it to say 2000mg 2x/one day then skip a day, or once/week. This would let us find the point of diminishing returns.

I would also like to see people dosing 20+ ppm (or whatever it is) reduce it to 5ppm and see if they see the same benefits.

Unread 02/13/2008, 08:27 PM   #902
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I'm up to ~23ppm now. Have been for about a week. I'm on my 2nd bottle of VC & don't want to keep going through it so fast, so I'm going to halve it this weekend.

Unread 02/13/2008, 11:41 PM   #903
sellout007
Registered Member

Did you see any added benefits going that high?

Unread 02/13/2008, 11:54 PM   #904
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Not really... Everything's really looking great but now the base of my purple bonsai is turning white. I'm not sure it this has anything to do with the C or not.

Unread 02/14/2008, 12:13 AM   #905
sellout007
Registered Member

Hmmmmm.... Two corals having problems since dosing the higher levels?

Did you change anything else? Add anything? Maybe a pest? Lvls all good?

Unread 02/14/2008, 01:19 AM   #906
Pufferpunk
Moved On

pH 8.2 (as always)
Alk 10.2 (haven't added alk in weeks--since using the buffered C)
Ca 385 (been trying to raise that from 320, earlier in the week. I think with all the extra growth lately, the corals have been using it faster. I used to use a tsp every night of Pedlow & now, I'm using a tbsp.
MG 1290 (I'll add a little tonight)

My concern is that both had white bases. Is that common w/SPS? The rest of the branches of the bonsai look fine--just where it's growing on the rock. There are also 3 other SPS very close to it (that rainbow monti is fighting it for space) & a large toadstook leaning on it but where it's touching is ok.

Unread 02/14/2008, 02:05 AM   #907
iairj84
Registered Member

I went from 500mg 2x a day to 1000mg 2x a day after about 2 weeks and noticed my Frogspawn and Leather closing up more.. I downed it back to 500mg and all is big and happy again! I think it is possible to over do it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump/fuge. 2x250watt 14k USHIO halides, ACjr network connected, 2x K4's
Unread 02/14/2008, 04:43 AM   #908
PaintGuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iairj84
I went from 500mg 2x a day to 1000mg 2x a day after about 2 weeks and noticed my Frogspawn and Leather closing up more.. I downed it back to 500mg and all is big and happy again! I think it is possible to over do it.
Nice observation. Perhaps you could add it to the data thread?

Unread 02/14/2008, 06:30 AM   #909
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Tried the Vitamin C trick now for 3 days and one colony of my Zoas had been closing up quite a bit...Now every polyp is open 95% of the time, that is until my lawnmower blenny goes flying by and smacks them with his tail!!!!!!!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 02/14/2008, 06:32 AM   #910
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Now, that you guys mentioned it my hammer coral has been a little closed up since I started adding the Vitamin C...

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 02/14/2008, 08:52 AM   #911
sellout007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iairj84

Interesting. Would you mind trying to go back up to 1000mg and see if you can repeat the situation? See if they close up again? As PaintGuru said, if you would add all this to the VC Data thread it would be much appreciated. I noticed you already posted in there, maybe post with a paragraph on what you changed and what reactions you had. Also include a link back to your original post?

If you don't know how to get the link to your post, there is a little link at the bottom of your post that says "Open this post in a new window". Click that and a new window pops up which goes straight to your post. Here is your post link

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...3#post11792143

Unread 02/14/2008, 09:55 AM   #912
Pufferpunk
Moved On

None of my LPS have been affected by the higher dosages I've been doing. In my 40g, I've got lots of different frogspawn/hammers & been dosing 1tbsp (sorry, I can't figure out the math)

Unread 02/14/2008, 11:28 AM   #913
Whalehead9
Registered Member

How do all of your ricordea and mushrooms respond to VC additions?

Current Tank Info: 12 asst fw+sw tanks
Unread 02/14/2008, 11:49 AM   #914
montanabay
Registered Member

my ricordea has never been happier, mushrooms are big and bright one day and contracted the next.

Unread 02/14/2008, 12:00 PM   #915
Ratkiller
Registered Member

Started 1/26 with a buffered C very small amount, increasing the amount as recommended. Sorry I don't remember how much I started with.

Now I'm up to 1 tbsp 2 twice a day.

They have looked like this for about 2 weeks now. But before you start saying "WOW that's a huge difference" I have had a couple of other things happening. One major thing is my Girlfriend was messing with the settings of my camera. So the after pic is much brighter and more vivid. But the Zoa are brighter then they were before but not as much as seen in the after pic. And 2nd, which I think is the most significant, Before I started dosing the Vit C I found out my refractor was off by 5 ppm. I was getting 35ppm but it was actually 30. So while I've been dosing the Vit C I have also been doing weekly 5gal water changes to slowly bring up the salinity.

So I can't say really say if the response of my Zoa looking as good as they do now is because of the salinity increase (Coralife salt) or the Vit C.

I might stop with the Vit C and see what kind of reaction I get.

Current Tank Info: 120g glass, euro braced, half-in-wall, w/ 30g H sump & 20g L refugium
Unread 02/14/2008, 01:56 PM   #916
Jeff
Registered Member

30 ppm=1.023 which, although a tad low, isnt bad at all. I keep mine at 34 ppm which is 1.025. I bet the vitamin C was a big help with your zoas. Great before and after pictures.

BTW, they are awsome looking .

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 02/14/2008, 03:45 PM   #917
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Pufferpunk........I dont think your "buffered" vitamin C you are using will buffer the alk...especially if its bufferered with calcium. I cant imagine how you dont need to add alk without dosing VC......especially with.

Has anyone else been testing the crap out of their alk while dosing either the buffered or the non buffered pure powder?? I want to hear some specific results if you have been.

I dont like what its doing all fo a sudden. I am having a problem recently in some of my sps. Maybe related maybe not.....but all 3 of my stylos are ticked. Really ticked...started yesterday. It appears as though Im going to lose a 2" peaches and ***** stylo, and my rainbow which is a little larger doesnt look good, but has hardly any PE.......lastly I have two pinks and both of them have poor PE but its there throughout.

Everything else looks great and although I didnt start this for any real problems...I can say my polyps look super happy and I think a few even look more brilliantly colored. No changes noticed to any of the other 150+ sps in the tank besides the stylos mentioned above
??

back to the alk.......every time I dose there is a massive temporary alk swing.........2 dkh or so...TWICE a day. I wasnt letting it bother me as I would follow as soon as I would wait a little and measure........the last few days I have been dosing the 75 ml sodium carbonate necessary at the same time in the tail side of my 100 gallon sump.

I stopped dosing today until I figure this out.

jdieck...or anyone who knows chemisty much better than I......are there any other secondary potential affects to the rest of my 2 part methodology and water chemistry due to having to add that much additional alk??

To throw a little bit of relevance on that number, I am dosing roughly 300 ml a day of each part

Last edited by flyyyguy; 02/14/2008 at 03:52 PM.
Unread 02/14/2008, 04:11 PM   #918
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

ok... i'm on page 22 of this thread.. i'm not sold on this..

the one huge glaring problem with this treatment is that alot of the reported positive results were with ascorbic acid... wouldnt that not really last very long in a basic solution? wouldnt the acid be oxidized very quickly? will the ascorbic acid even have the effect that it's supposed to have when it is bonded to OH-? I'm no chemist but i do have a rudimentary understanding about how ions work in solution and it just seems like very little of this stuff will actually make it to any of the tanks inhabitants. Also nearly all ** hits the submit button by accident** organisms produce it internally.

Unread 02/14/2008, 04:26 PM   #919
jdieck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
Pufferpunk........I dont think your "buffered" vitamin C you are using will buffer the alk...especially if its bufferered with calcium. I cant imagine how you dont need to add alk without dosing VC......especially with.

No changes noticed to any of the other 150+ sps in the tank besides the stylos mentioned above
??

back to the alk.......every time I dose there is a massive temporary alk swing.........2 dkh or so...TWICE a day.

jdieck...or anyone who knows chemisty much better than I......are there any other secondary potential affects to the rest of my 2 part methodology and water chemistry due to having to add that much additional alk??

To throw a little bit of relevance on that number, I am dosing roughly 300 ml a day of each part
As I mentioned befor none of the "buffered" forms should increase the alkalinity but should not decrease it either.
The non buffered one (the acid form) will reduce alkalinity and PH.

300 ml/day of Randy's recipe 1 will add about 2 dKh of alkalinity to your 225 system which for a daily consumption on a heavy loades sps tank could even be on the low side.

When you refer that the vitamin when added causes a "temporary" alkalinity swing do you mean it swings back by itself to the previous level or do you do something to bring it back up? Is it a swing on PH and not alkalinity, what exactly do you refer too?

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
Unread 02/14/2008, 05:05 PM   #920
pinetree
Registered Member

Hey!
My first post on RC. This thread is great.
set up:
40 breeder
30#LR
AC Remora
Koralia nanos - 3, #2 - 1
5 36" T-5's - 1 420nm, 1 460nm, 1 10000k, 2 6500k
STOCK :
1 sm clown
14 SPS 2 of which are large (7-8") rest are frags - 3-4"
6" wall hammer
3 headed torch
6 headed spawn
6head candy cane
5-6 zoas - small colonies / frags
4 micromussa frags
4 4" acan frags
2 GSP's
2 rics
2 favia

I've lost a few zoa colonies to a "pox" looking issue. I treated sick colonies w/ SeaChem Reef Dip, lost a little more but some came back. Now I'm going through it again. Only Zoas and not all are affected. I mentioned on my local reef club site that the affected colonies were being ravished by large amphipodes - like I read from someone here. Last week I lost my last 3 yellow polyps OVERNIGHT. They were being eaten by large amphi's when I got up in the middle of the night to let my elderly dog out. By morning all 3 were gone. Last night a similar thing happened to a micromussa frag (2 heads) that had shrunk over a week or so - saw big amphi's on it and this morning it was totally gone. I've never tried Furan-2. I did more that usual water changes (usual is 4 gal / week on a 40 breeder) Paly colonie is doing great - grownig pretty fast. SPS are all growing fast. Acans growing slow (normal).
I'm starting VC dosing today - 500mg once / day for rest of this week. I'll go twice / day next week, and creep dosage up each week or less as long as things are looking OK.
I've logged water parameters, taken pictures and will log doses. I'll organize in the other thread soon.
I'm optimistic this will help me. I think this tank is over stocked and I have anothe r40- coming online soon to try and relieve this tank. Water Parameters have been excellent, but I can't measure any possible chemicals corals might be emitting...

Unread 02/14/2008, 05:34 PM   #921
pinetree
Registered Member

Now for some pics: (One tank is obviously newer. I'm dosing both.)

Unread 02/14/2008, 05:38 PM   #922
pinetree
Registered Member

And a few more:

Unread 02/14/2008, 05:50 PM   #923
pinetree
Registered Member

OK I rushed these - not use to posting pics here so it took me awhile. After reading most of this thread (hours) I'm hungry and need to get away from this machine for a while. I've lots of pics at club SWAM . org - my local club - name is snowmaker. Have diy's there too.
Thanks,
I love experiments!

Unread 02/14/2008, 05:50 PM   #924
jdieck
Registered Member

Welcome to posting Pinetree!

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
Unread 02/14/2008, 06:55 PM   #925
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
As I mentioned befor none of the "buffered" forms should increase the alkalinity but should not decrease it either.
The non buffered one (the acid form) will reduce alkalinity and PH.

300 ml/day of Randy's recipe 1 will add about 2 dKh of alkalinity to your 225 system which for a daily consumption on a heavy loades sps tank could even be on the low side.

When you refer that the vitamin when added causes a "temporary" alkalinity swing do you mean it swings back by itself to the previous level or do you do something to bring it back up? Is it a swing on PH and not alkalinity, what exactly do you refer too?

Thanks jdieck. I didnt get it from when we touched on this earlier and left the last time thinking it was going to lower your alk whether it was buffered or not........and using the unbuffered stuff it was behaving how I thought it should......

so for one I wont use the unbuffered anymore. Still not sure what could have caused what happened to the stylos although in looking at them just now now that the lights have been on for a while(my photoperiod starts at 2 pm)......both the pinks are out in full, and both the other ones look a lot better than they did last night.......the one is still pretty rough, but it lost that soft look so im hopeful......Someone else also pointed out that stylos can be more sensitive to flow, and I did just reaquascape the tank with absolute flow in mind, as well as added a ton of flow on top fo that....so that could be a factor, although I would have thought they would have showed more of an affect tot his a couple weeks ago instead of waiting until now....

as far as my alk/calcium/mag consumption........while the tank may be loaded....its a forest of frags, no real colonies yet as the tank started over last summer so I think my consumption where it should.

The swing I was referring to was alk, and I was adding additional to maintain.

Last edited by flyyyguy; 02/14/2008 at 07:17 PM.
Closed Thread