Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2019, 08:00 AM   #1
rogersb
Registered Member

Reef Roids

I picked up a free sample of this at a recent swap. It's a tiny tube, like the size of one of my pinky finger knuckles. I did a water change Wednesday and spot fed a few corals this stuff. I could swear my PPE zoas were larger than normal on Thursday, my goni was more extended, and my rics were also more swollen.

I have 40 - 50 different corals and only fed a few of them because most others I do not want growing faster than they already are. My tank is a 125g w/ 20 or so gallon sump. I do 5g water changes once every week or every other week. Could the positive changes be from the water change? Possibly. Water changes are the only time I plan on doing these feedings so I won't be able to try to feed on any other day to record my findings.

I will try to get some pics up later and plan on documenting my results here. I'll probably focus on my PPE and my goni in this thread. I received the goni on 3-29-18 as a stock frag from Unique Corals. It was a small chunk glued to a plug. I popped it off the plug and glued it to a rock. It has not grown onto the rock in all that time(10 months). I got my PPE around the same time and went from 1 polyp to(I think - I'm not at home) 11.

I feed only frozen. LRS reef frenzy and Mysis. I think the tiny bottle would last me a month with the limited amount of corals I am feeding, but I plan on getting a jar this weekend if my LFS has it. If not, I'll order some and keep feeding. No promises on monthly progress pics, but I'll try.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 03:45 PM   #2
rogersb
Registered Member

Well I wasn't able to upload the pic from my phone and wasn't able to do it from my laptop either. What photo sharing sites is everyone using to post on this forum? I only ever used photobucket but I think that you have to pay now?

Unread 02/02/2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Jason9488
Registered Member

I love reef roids. Feed it X2 a week

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 03:39 PM   #4
rogersb
Registered Member

My PPE was at 11 at the last update. I'm up to 27 polyps as of today. The goni has encrusted more than it was in February but it's a slow grower. I upped the flow recently and that has seemed to make it happier. I bought a small jar of the reef roids and am going to keep feeding. I have no solid proof but I got a seriously damaged torch and kept giving it roids and not only did it pull through but went from that damaged head to 3 heads in less than a year. My bubble coral also never grew until I started feeding it roids. I'm a believer.

Unread 06/26/2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Desertoasis
Registered Member

The only issue that I had with reef roids is my phosphates jumped when I fed it. I don't notice this with benereef but that's just my experience. Both give a good response from my corals but the roids cause instability issues.

Desertoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2019, 04:51 PM   #6
rogersb
Registered Member

I could see that being an issue depending on how much you use. I have a 125 with a 30 sump. I only feed a pinch a week. Way less than recommended but I'm not trying to feed all my corals.