Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2019, 02:12 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

Ritteri on day 8 in tank. What do you think?

Here's the vid I just took:

https://youtu.be/lxl7zd3tCU0

I love it!

if someone can please let me know why it shows up always as low res. I 'filmed' it in high res. My other vids took exact same way seem to come out in higher res. Is it the lighiting thats causing it to flip to low?

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 05:51 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The only thing of concern is that the anemone is quite close to the wall. If the anemone touches the wall it might get the impression that there is a higher place to go and start moving.
And you should put sponges on those powerheads.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 06:31 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with ThRoewer. Otherwise, the anemone look good.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 03:02 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY for that.
Here's a pic of where it is from front to back. It will be difficult to get nem more away from the back panel. The nem base is a good 7" from it. On the side. Though it may be moving very slowly to the left. Tentacles touching more and more the side drain box panel.

I can see now the rock its on has more ups and downs in it than I remember, since I can see more of it now, as nem moved some. I do have a much smoother rock. I attached a pic of that. I think it's a good candidate.

**Should I be very careful and get the nem from off the rock it's on now (gently remove the foot) to place on this other one? It seems to me it may be moving a bit because the nem is just not comfortbable on the surface its on now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri_back.jpg (82.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg rock.jpg (105.0 KB, 61 views)
Unread 09/27/2019, 07:24 PM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

If one tentacle touches either the back wall or the overflow box, the nem will move and try to climb up. Most of us who have magnifica create an island for it. The smooth rock in the photo looks like a good candidate, assuming the nem has enough space to flatten its foot complete (I like to describe it as looking like a fried egg).

Unread 09/28/2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Cliving1
Registered Member

My mag is currently not at the highest point it can be. It actually ran down to get in front of the wavemaker. I thought that was odd. It knows there is higher ground as it touches it. But I suppose it wssnt getting enough flow to be happy.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2019, 11:34 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
My mag is currently not at the highest point it can be. It actually ran down to get in front of the wavemaker. I thought that was odd. It knows there is higher ground as it touches it. But I suppose it wssnt getting enough flow to be happy.
Insufficient flow and/or light can cause a magnifica to move to a somewhat lower spot. But in general, if all their other needs are met, they look for the highest possible spot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/28/2019, 12:08 PM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

It did start moving up that right side. Tentacles touched it.. and boom lol. I was able to gently peel it off there. It's hard to put it on an island really far from a side panel esp with my huge drain box. It is secure on the rest of the rock it was on. But I'd like to get it on to that smoother, flatter one. What is recommended best way to do this? And once I do I'll have to negotiate a spot where the tentacles can't touch a panel, not not close at all to PH (whcih I'll later today actually put secure ties around the inlet , greatly reduding the intake gaps, it's what I did to the teeth openings on my drain box to keep neon gobies out). I really don't want to hurt the nem.

But I'm also thinkgin about next weekend. I wont be here for 4 days. So I'm hoping to get nem stabylized by monday/tuesday, ugh.

Unread 09/28/2019, 12:24 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Place a suitably sized tile, a tea-cup saucer, a ceramic flowerpot dish, or just a flat rock so that the anemone will move on to it. You should by now have an idea where that "transfer device" should go.
Once the anemone is on this transfer device, you place it near (below) the spot you want the anemone to be so that it moves over to right where you want it.
This shouldn't take very long, about a day or two most likely.

But you still need to cover that powerhead with foam, especially if you plan to leave the tank unattended for a couple of days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 09/28/2019, 12:38 PM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY TR
I have to work a lot this next few days.. so tyring to work this on there also... and deailing with CA reactor with some issues ugh.. all before I'm not here next Thursday. Will get it done .. The power head is a Tunze 3, so not just an easy sponge to stick on the inlet. I'm tryign to think of some type of sponge material I can cut and wrap around the large intake. which is this:
https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-tu...SABEgI9L_D_BwE. if I have to i'll cut a piece of towel or some other fabric if only for the long weekend til I get something better for when I return.

Unread 09/28/2019, 12:39 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

and I just figured out what you're saying how to postion the tfr device. Up higher where the tentacles can touch it , and as close as I can to the base to allow easier move on.
Ceraming mugs are ok, right? the paint on them that makes them whatever color they are (like off white) will not harm the water?
It's in now.. i need the tfr tohappen asap to get rit in place
TY

Last edited by CTaylor; 09/28/2019 at 01:01 PM.
Unread 09/28/2019, 09:30 PM   #12
CTaylor
Registered Member

I got it on the very end of the flatter rock. I'll take a pic later. It actually is right smack in middle from ftont to back now. though I want it to go to the middle of the long rock, so I have the end nem is on on the lower part, and rest of rock above it. hopefully it crawls to the middle. I know there's no way of choosing where it goes other htan prevent it ffrom touching something higher to help keep it put. It's actually in very intersesting spot now. I'll take pic if it stays there tomorrow.

Unread 09/29/2019, 07:16 AM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

If you give him enough light and flow, he will not try so hard to climb. But enough light is a lot like right under a 250W MH or right under a Radion G3 Pro.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/29/2019, 11:21 AM   #14
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If you give him enough light and flow, he will not try so hard to climb. But enough light is a lot like right under a 250W MH or right under a Radion G3 Pro.
Here's 2 pics. One shows where nem is in relation to the lighting. It has stayed put exactly here for past 18 hrs. It's on an end of that smooth rock (which has some long, narrow holes in the middle). Maybe it's the prime spot. I like it, it's centered, away from a side. I'm getting today a filter pad material to wrap around that power head. I turn it off when I'm not right near the tank, which is most times. I have it on right now only to let ritteri 'know' there will be more flow there.
I'll move the elegance that's below the nem also.

The lighting is strong enough to support some acros even further away, on bottom of tank ins same area (seen in one of the pics)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri092919_1.jpg (96.8 KB, 33 views)
Unread 09/29/2019, 11:24 AM   #15
CTaylor
Registered Member

I forgot the pic where it's in relation to the lights...here it is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri092919_2.jpg (95.1 KB, 32 views)
Unread 09/30/2019, 06:45 AM   #16
CTaylor
Registered Member

nervous.. some tentacles are deflated

Hi,

Some tentacles are flattened, delflated. It's only the ones on the right side about 1/3-1/2 way down from top. Its 8:30 am, and tank lights come on at 11. So it's at tail end of night cycle. FLow was light at night b/c I turned off the nearby power head until I wrap it with filter cotton floss tonight to keep nem from getting sucked into it. From my past deflations are all over the nem when they are full on infected. Mouth looks tight and good.

I cant treat nem b/c I'm leaving for vaca on Thursday.
*Is this a very likely infection? Or likely not, just a possible one?
I think if it is infected it must have happend when I thought I was gentle enough in taking the foot off the drain box. And I stirred up detritus last night when I did a partial water change. I dont know if it can pick up something from that.

ty

I hope it's ok!

EDIT: 30 mins later > I can't seee any deflated tentacles. The overall diameter of the nem is less, though, it just looks smaller. But I think that can be normal itself. I'm being super careful with this guy. All I can do is hope it's not sick. I'd even consider canelling my trip if it is for sure sick, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri2093019_1.jpg (97.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by CTaylor; 09/30/2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: shorrt time later
Unread 09/30/2019, 08:00 AM   #17
CTaylor
Registered Member

Cr*p, now it has some deflation on top left corner. Maybe 12 tentacles there, and the same spot as original pic. I think my luck ran out

Unread 09/30/2019, 08:07 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

I would not over worry about it. Something irritated it there.

Unread 09/30/2019, 08:12 AM   #19
CTaylor
Registered Member

Here are pics right now of the middle area where some defltation the the top area. The only 2 I can see that have any defl.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri2093019_2.jpg (69.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ritteri2093019_3.jpg (73.9 KB, 26 views)
Unread 09/30/2019, 08:12 AM   #20
CTaylor
Registered Member

Thank you Minh .. We'll see!

Unread 10/01/2019, 04:34 PM   #21
CTaylor
Registered Member

I got the nem as far from a wall as is possible in my tank. Not easy with the drain box being so wide front to back and left to right also. Nem looks close to that wall of the overflow, but the furthest tentacle tip right now is about 6" away. I know to still watch it of course, but this is as good as physically and dimenionally possible lol. I'm going to wrap that power head intake fence in filter floss secured by rubber bands. It seems happy to me. No more ltitle deflations that I had yesterday morning. It wasnt easy to rework the rock work and get the nem right like this. It's also positioned on the rock it's on (smoothish and flatish) so that it cant go UP to anything. If it goes up to the end of the rock it's on, which is close to where it's at now, there's no where to go.

Lighing Is pretty intense, I'm guessing 300-350 par from last I took a reading in that area (it crosses lighting of both the a700 and the a600 spot lights there. Flow is medium or more. It's stayed put there the entire day.

**for pics, I took one showing where in relation to the kighting. One of the nem close up.. and one closer up of the base, hard to see though.

Looks good? or? If not, I just don't know where else I can try to put it....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri100119_2.jpg (84.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ritteri100119_3.jpg (99.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg ritteri100119_1.jpg (73.6 KB, 29 views)
Unread 10/01/2019, 11:37 PM   #22
CTaylor
Registered Member

It looks like that may be a great spot for nem. It's just odd at first to be so far front in relation to it's height in the water column, like in your face (in person when you see it in 3d). My next tank will 100% not have this huge overflow box.

I'm not going to comment on how good the ritt is looking as I don't to hex it. I got the inflow covered with cotton filter pad. I hope everything is nearly the same as when I get back on Monday (leaving Thursday).

Unread 10/02/2019, 12:20 PM   #23
CTaylor
Registered Member

Don't cover the intake with filter floss pad. It clogged up overnight, causing very little flow, and likely stress on the pump. Luckily I did this a day and half before leaving. I just have that pump off...

**Anyone know where I can get a flat, thick 'sheet' of sponge material that I can wrap around the intake? A sponge material I'm thinking would not get clogged so fast.

Unread 10/03/2019, 05:22 AM   #24
mnchartier
Registered Member

You can use the mesh they use for needle point.

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2019, 06:29 PM   #25
CTaylor
Registered Member

Good idea on that mesh. I'll get it as soon as I can. tonight assuming I can find it. Are all innocuous to salt water? No chems to leach, etc?

**I came back from my 4 day trip. Nem was nearly in same spot. Now I'm back and it's on the move, pretty quickly. Heading over some rocks that are a little lower down and rough. Only thing different from me being here to not is that I fed the tank some difrent (frozen, not freeze dried autofeeder food) food than it got in the last 4 days. But I fed the tank this same food before I left. I also turned the temp down in my apt by 1 degree. That's it.

I'm just goign to have to block off the inlets to my drain box more, and mesh around both power heads. One has been off.

*At least nem is looking wonderful ... COming on three weeks ... 11 more days to the month hurdle.

***>> What is bad about feeding it while on the move? If I feed it some bits, will that possibly make nem stay and not move?