Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2018, 09:10 PM   #501
Wally.B
Registered Member

BACK to Serious Business (Anthias QT#2 [Odd Ball #4 Dies] , Transfering (Anthias QT#1 to QT #2)

So that Odd Ball Anthias that I thought was dead, kept Living, but he wasn't like the rest.

I noticed a red Mark Developing (even while alive)

When I pull him out dead this is the RED MARK, it got Bigger (What is it? Organ Damage?)

Now with only 3 Anthias in QT #2, I'm moving the Single Anthias Over.
-> I brought up the 1.018 Salinty QT #2 up to 1.024 over last few days.
-> And now I'm dripping the Single Anthias down from 1.025 to 1.024 as he comes over.

Then during the duration of the Anthias QT I'll bring it up to 1.025 and they will be ready (to be Dripped one more time before Going into DT.

I'll hopefully have 4 Anthias Left (Which will end up with 1 Male and 3 Females)

I hate the QT process, but better than having to deal with issues in DT. One reason I wanted to get all my Fish Hunting over with and done.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 09:14 PM   #502
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
BACK to Serious Business (Anthias QT#2 [Odd Ball #4 Dies] , Transfering (Anthias QT#1 to QT #2)

So that Odd Ball Anthias that I thought was dead, kept Living, but he wasn't like the rest.

I noticed a red Mark Developing (even while alive)

When I pull him out dead this is the RED MARK, it got Bigger (What is it? Organ Damage?)

Now with only 3 Anthias in QT #2, I'm moving the Single Anthias Over.

-> I brought up the 1.018 Salinty QT #2 up to 1.024 over last few days.

-> And now I'm dripping the Single Anthias down from 1.025 to 1.024 as he comes over.

Then during the duration of the Anthias QT I'll bring it up to 1.025 and they will be ready (to be Dripped one more time before Going into DT.

I'll hopefully have 4 Anthias Left (Which will end up with 1 Male and 3 Females)

I hate the QT process, but better than having to deal with issues in DT. One reason I wanted to get all my Fish Hunting over with and done.

Possibly uronema on the anthias?

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 09:58 PM   #503
Wally.B
Registered Member

Dosing Setup Time (Light are now Running 100%)

As per Matt's Advice.....to get tank running on Final Routines, even without Corals.

I programmed the Lights to run at Peak 100% [8 hour PhotoPeriod], with a Nice Ramp up, Ramp Down, and some Color Blending (using the T5 Dimming Capability)

Next is to Setup Dosing.

For those who followed my old thread, I started AquaForest, and then with the Dishwasher (soap) instability, did the RESET and switch back to ESV (Ed's Advice).

So I have a Full AquaForest 3 part system, and also a Full ESV-2Part.

99.9% I'm going with ESV, and for Mag I'll top up manually and watch if Mag Needs Auto Dosing down the Road.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/31/2018, 10:48 PM   #504
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
Possibly uronema on the anthias?
Thanks. I google "Uronema" up and I see photos exactly the same (red spot)

So it's a parasite that attacks weak fish, and attacks/destroys internal organs.

All these Anthias came from the Same Tank in same store.

Hoping this means only one fish was weak, and the rest resisted the parasite.

The dead Anthias (and the 3 remaining Anthias) was treated right from the beginning in the QT/Hospital with PraxiPro (Treatment ended today, and I'm stripping of the Med with Carbon).

Not sure this PraxiPro was the right treatment.

I have to make the assumption that the Parasite is still there.

And thank goodness the sick fish wasn't exposed to the New Wanatabi Angels. (but the Angels are in a QT system that had Anthias (the Anthias that I just brought over).

The remaining 3 Fish didn't get sick. (so resisted the Parasite) I HOPE.

But they were in close contact with the Dead fish, constantly.

SO I need to figure out what to do next?

The only Good Slither of Hope I have is the 4 Anthias are back together Again.

And boy or boy are they cheer up.
The 3 were always trying to perk up the sick one.

Now everyone is very active, and I hope NOT going to get sick (Since Strong)

ANY SUGGESTIONS? (I'll be researching, but from Brief reads..antibiotic Nitrofurazone is one option) If any fish show any odd syptoms.

I assume I don't need to pre-treat as a precaution, or Do I?

Unread 05/31/2018, 11:01 PM   #505
Wally.B
Registered Member

hmmm.

I started looking into Med (started with NitroFurazone) which Led me to Furan-2

On the packaging I see a similar symptom like the Anthias had.

"hemorrhagic septicemia", which is a virus, not a parasite. Causes bleeding in fish.

Man, I don't know what to do, except treat the Whole Hospital with Furan-2 as a precaution. (Anthias are Sensitive, and I'm not sure if Copper is what I should do...and is Copper just for Parasite, not for Bacteria/Virus).

I hate QT, but it's a MUST!!!!
(This proves it, and my DT is hopefully Safe"

Unread 06/01/2018, 12:26 AM   #506
Rakie
In Memoriam

Furan 2 is a good goto, so is PraziPro for deworming. For the most part nearly all fish need to be dewormed, and many anthias will need medication.

Anthias can be tricky. At this rate if something happens and these guys don't make it, give it some time before picking up more anthias and do some reading on 'em.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 01:32 AM   #507
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Furan 2 is a good goto, so is PraziPro for deworming. For the most part nearly all fish need to be dewormed, and many anthias will need medication.

Anthias can be tricky. At this rate if something happens and these guys don't make it, give it some time before picking up more anthias and do some reading on 'em.
Rakie,

Yes, this will be my last Anthias attempt if they don't make it. (However I have a gut feeling they will).

I'm exhausted from reading, digging for info.
I reached out by email to a couple of store owners who deal with fish a lot.

For now I'm not panicking, since this fish was questionable from the start. (The other remaining Anthias are in fantastic shape, and The QT with the Transfer Anthias has actually perked up.
The Anthias were a bit drawn to the Sick Anthias (kind of trying to get him out).
Now that he's dead and gone, they joined in with the Newbie Anthias and are acting totally different (a true bunch on the loose). Like the newbie behaving was alone in the other QT. Active, Swimming everywhere, eating like crazy.
So hoping the Single Anthias just died being a weak one. (but from what???)

I ordered Furan-2 (express ship), just in case it's bacteria to possibly save the other Anthias if there is bacteria in that QT that need to be eradicated.
Ordered a few other items.... more Matrix, Prime, Stability to have things handy on the Spot (for the QT duration).

This QT (That Anthias Died in) started Fresh, Sterilized with new Water, new Matrix, Stability, (PraziPro from the Start...Treatment ended Yesterday) and these Anthias were the only thing in the QT (That's a good thing).
Nothing from this QT left to contaminate any other TANK.

Of course I worry Terribly about the New Wantabei Angels, but they are in a separate QT (far away distance wise from any tools, mist, etc).

Have been, and Will be Sterilizing all tools, buckets, (new pipete's each day), etc.

Another thing in the back of my mind is why did he Tomini Die so suddenly in DT. Hoping just the new setup/transfer. NOTHING Related I hope.

So a few balls in the air. Hoping they land gently, with a good ending.

Taking this ONE DAY AT A TIME.

I paniced originally with the Copperband getting the ICH, but that ended well. So hoping for a similar outcome.

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/01/2018 at 01:38 AM.
Unread 06/01/2018, 07:37 AM   #508
Wally.B
Registered Member

I just spoke to a guy who QT's fish for a Living.

His opinion is this is a Bacterial Thing. Contained to a weaker fish.

Furan is the way to go. to eradicate the Bacteria from QT....I may be fine.

AND he says......Most Anthias are a HIGH RISK THING....Pain in the A$$

Unread 06/01/2018, 10:55 AM   #509
Wally.B
Registered Member

Anthias Update (SIGNIFICANT Behavior Change: Positive)

So All 4 Anthias are Looking Good, including the Newbie which has been accepted by the original Threesome.

What's interesting is the whole QT behavior has change after the Sick/Injured/Dead Anthias was removed.

They are all out and about instead of hanging around in the Cave with the Sick Anthias. (NOT IN THE ROCK CAVE AT ALL), He may have been bumming them out since they stick together.

As I posted on another thread, that dead Anthias could have sustained Injurty (either from Netting Process at Store, or constantly being Crammed into the Rock Nook).

HERE IS his Other Side.

No red mark or BRUISE.

Still best to lean on the side of Caution, I will treat QT for Bacteria with the Furan.

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/01/2018 at 11:01 AM.
Unread 06/01/2018, 01:19 PM   #510
Rakie
In Memoriam

Might help. And yes, Anthias are a pain and high risk fish.. When it comes to Anthias, I think it may be wise to buy directly from people who DO QT for a living. Cherry fish, PIA, etc etc. Lots of places sell fully QT'd, healthy, eating fish. AT A PREMIUM.

But if you really want that rare fish... It's worth every penny to not have it croak on you. I know if I wanted some rare $3000 angel, I'd rather pay $4000 for one that's professionally QT'd, with a guarantee, healthy, and eating.

In the future, consider buying from one of these guys (or the guy you've talked to who professionally QT's fish). It probably would have been cheaper than going through about 10 Anthias in the long run!

Unread 06/01/2018, 01:53 PM   #511
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
But if you really want that rare fish... It's worth every penny to not have it croak on you. I know if I wanted some rare $3000 angel, I'd rather pay $4000 for one that's professionally QT'd, with a guarantee, healthy, and eating.
Well if I had $4000 for buy a Rare fish, I wouldn't need to buy a Rare Fish.

That's because.....I'd be swimming with a bunch a tropical fish, on my Island Property with a Powder White Sandy beach, and the Turquoise Blue Ocean would be my backyard pool with Built in Reef .

....and I'd be drinking Pina Colada's with the Pipette's...The larger ones )

Till I make some a Extra Pile of Cash, I'm treating my $29 Anthias, with some $9 Furin and as my QT guy said, also some CopperSafe $14 (he says Anthias Handle Copper fine).

I'm also going to treat my $199 Angel Pair with some Treatments too. Still deciding exactly which, and in what order.
The Wanatabei Angel PAIR is as close as I get to Rare. I really like them.

Unread 06/01/2018, 04:27 PM   #512
Rakie
In Memoriam

Oh that's not too bad! For some reason I thought those Anthias were like $69 each

Unread 06/01/2018, 05:54 PM   #513
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh that's not too bad! For some reason I thought those Anthias were like $69 each
They were $59 each Regular Price, but BUY-5 Was less, and they had a 25% off sale that day (so actually cost $24 each inlcd. Tax). I'd never get them single price.

That's why I want at least part of the Bargain to stay alive.

My Furan-2 should be here Sunday Or Monday, but I don't want to wait, so I got Seachem Metroplex (which is lighter bacteria treatment), and I already started.

I'll do a water change, run some Carbon, and then start the Furan.

These are my last chance Anthias.

The Foursome are doing really, really well right now, but you never know.
Also soaking their Food in Seachem Zoe, (Vitamins) to boost their immune system. They gobble everything up, and beg for more (key to success)

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/01/2018 at 06:01 PM.
Unread 06/02/2018, 10:59 PM   #514
Wally.B
Registered Member

POLYP LAB Medic TEST - Kitchen Tank (2nd Copperband - Pro Treated [with Copper Safe / Nitrafurazone : 21 day QT ] )

RECAP (Replacement of The Copperband with ICH, Cured, and in my DT)

Few weeks ago, I added a Copperband Butterfy into my other 90 Gallon Kitchen Tank.
It got ICH after a few Days.

No Fish can be removed from my other Tank since it's too complicated being Mature with Bonded Corals. Impossible to catch. Tried Traps.

The Copperband was getting worse and one night I tried a Bright Flashlight Trick and I netted the ICH sick Copperband.

So I did a Tank Tansfer Method and Succesfully treated that Copperband for Ich. He is in my 110 Gallon New tank.

I still wanted a Copperband for my Kitchen Tank since it has an Aptasia Outbreak. In the meantime I put in a couple of tiny Pepermint Shrimps and now ONE IS HUGE, and there is I think (less Apatasia....Certainly less small Aptasia).

Since ICH doesn't go away unless treated, I couldn't treat tank with typical treatment since it's loaded with Corals.

So I tried POLYP Lab Booster. Reef Safe ICH Treament (Basically Hydrogen Peroxide in Powder Form).
After I treated, I added an Spot Breast Angel to that tank (from my old Tank, that didn't go into my 110Gallon). It hasn't gotten ICH yet.
Maybe the Polyp Lab worked.

I still want a Copperband Butterfy in there to take care of the Large Aptasia, thus I got another Copperband.
But I wanted a 100% ICH Free, and Healthy Copperband going in.

So I got one from a Pro QT guy named Carl.
http://www.carlsaquarium.com/index.html (Yup his Setup looks just like the Photo on his HOMPAGE)

He treated the Copperband for me. (21 Days)
Treated with Coppersafe, and Nitrafurazone. They way he explains things to me.....is that Copper Treatment lowers a Fish's immune system so fish get susceptible to bacteria Infections. And the Nitrafurazone is bacteria treament.

So today was Pickup Day for the Copperband.

Here is the New Copperband being transfered to my Kitchen tank after acclimatization.

HERE IS THE YOU TUBE VIDEO (of Copperband Transfer to my Kitchen TANK)

https://youtu.be/4E0usXRUm2I

If he does NOT get ICH the Polyp may have worked.

If he GETS ICH, it didn't.

That is not 100% conclusive, since many other factors.

I just want him to Stay Healthy. Eat, and Eat away all my Aptasia.

Well see.

Wally.B

Unread 06/03/2018, 01:52 PM   #515
Wally.B
Registered Member

GENESIS MACHINE ( Loaded and READY FOR Launch ) FIRST FRAGS

Things are ready.

-> I got most of my Fish IN
-> I know my lighting PARS, and Lights are running Peak 60% for now, with Sunrise, and Sunset
-> Basic Circulation is set-up (will fine tune Peak Flows later)
-> Water Chemistry is Perfect ( P dropped down to 0.04), so I removed GFO (N is just below 25)

And I got my first two Frags. (Dipped, Mounted, and Sitting in Sump-Refuge) Donated by Generosity of Tenurepro

The Pac Man will test the Pars at the Bottom of tank.

The Miyagi will test the Par at the Middle of Tank.

I'll mount them later today and setup the Doser (in Manual Mode)

Unread 06/04/2018, 08:57 AM   #516
Wally.B
Registered Member

Update on New Copperband Butterfly (Was Worries Yesterday NOT EATING) MASSTICK Food in [Upright Self Flipping] Sea Shell did the TRICK

New Copperband in Kitchen Tank looks promising.

The Trick That Carl (Pro QT) Taught me, is if you Stick Masstick food in the Cup of a Sea Shell, it will always Fall Upright (food upward)
When the food is eaten you simply collect the Empty sea shells for Next Feeding.

https://youtu.be/GLq8JjcaLkM

The Angelfish likes Masstick too.

Glad the Chromis Fish haven't figure it out, or Copperband wouldn't have a Chance. They are High Speed Food Processors.

Same for the Algae Blenny who makes an appearance, but scoots off uninterested.

Unread 06/04/2018, 01:10 PM   #517
Wally.B
Registered Member

Frag Mounting Trial (CaribSea ROCK - Shapes, Purple Plugs) Temp Frag Rack - Flexible, No-Obstructive

So I was struggling how to mount the new two ACRO FRAGS.

Don't know my new tank, and don't want to leave a bunch of PLUG/GLUE Test blemishes on nicely aged Coraline Rock.
Not ready to break off Plug and mount Frags Directly on Rock (Permanency, and Encrusting issues).

Plus I have no loose pieces in my RockScape to Take out for mounting on. Except the two Tonga Pieces on Bottom.

THESE ARE MY FRAG Rack Choices of Past. (And a new one I discovered today, while a Canada Corals LFS)

I've used CaribSea Rock before. Thoses two Tonga Rocks, lying Flat in my Tanks are CaribSea. They have kept the color, and haven't had any Algae problems, even at Top with Bright MH Lights of past.

CaribSea Shapes are interesting pieces and the Arch Piece I got might be ideal.

This arch piece will allow me to mount at Various Heights, and looks more natural than a Rack. I hated the Glass mounting rack since they make cleaning glass a pain. Or alage and debris would build up.
This Rock Rack can be moved around, mount horizontally, or vertically in my Tank.

(Just for the short term, till I know what SPS Selection I have. I know moving around SPS isn't suggested)

I also have these Purple Blue Ocean Wonder Plugs that I got a while ago, but haven't yet Tried.

Can't wait to see how my first to Frag come on.

Unread 06/04/2018, 02:24 PM   #518
Wally.B
Registered Member

CaribSea Rock Shapes (Frag Rack Mounting Options) 2 OPTIONS

The rock is a bit bigger than I thought. IT ONLY Naturally Fits in TWO WAYS. Since I want this rock placed firm/stable, BUT NOT GLUED for Frag Mounting (outside Tank).

HERE IS FIT #1

PRO: Blends in well. Expands the Shelter Cave
CON: Takes away from my 3 separate ISLAND look (which I like)

HERE IS FIT #2

PRO: Add Height to my Rockscape. More SPS mounting point too. No Shading of any existing Rock Scape. Create a Barrier for mid swimming swim fish.
CON: No Shelter expansion for fish to hide in.

#2 Wins, for me since I really wanted 3 Islands, and this Arch doesn't ruin that.

And looks pretty spectacular from the Side and Corner View, to adds to the Right side ISLAND overall L-Shape.

This is WITHOUT the New CaribSea SHAPES Rock Piece.

Last edited by Wally.B; 06/04/2018 at 03:01 PM.
Unread 06/04/2018, 02:59 PM   #519
Wally.B
Registered Member

Woah!! Skimmer has gone nuts with Treated CaribSea Rock.

The LFS store said DEAD Carib Sea rocks are coated with an Bacteria Live Rock Enhancer so you shouldn't rinse them too much.

But I wasn't going take chances, and my rocks are established anyway. I rinsed, soaked, and rinsed in RO.
And still the Skimmer has gone crazy.

I figure it's because I have skimmer tuned for Senstive Wet Skimming.

I just threw in some Carbon/Baggie into Filter Sock.

Unread 06/04/2018, 09:45 PM   #520
Wally.B
Registered Member

Skimmer Calmed down.

Fish Calmed down and are swimming nicely.

Fish seem to like the Arch for some reason. A rock above them for Shelter.

Fish are swimming around more Mid level, compared to Mostly at the bottom (before)

I'm gluing the rock in place and then plan the new Frags. Where to place them and how to mount them.

Unread 06/05/2018, 10:45 AM   #521
Wally.B
Registered Member

Copperband Butterfly ( Improved MASSTICK Feeder)

The Clam Shell Feeder Works, and it was a great way to start the Copperband's Appetite for Masstick.

Now he smells the Masstick a Mile away, but the shell's sometimes get poked around and hard to recover, or get lost.

This feeder is perfect. He eats it all. Super Easy to get IN/OUT.

Basically I drilled a hole and then rounded and Larger hole into the end of an Acrylic Stick.

Masstick is squished in and holds. (I add Kent Zoe Vitamins to the Masstick Mix)

Stick is held with a solid base.

Stick fits thru my Tank Screen Top.

Easy Peasy Clean Feeding (High up so other fish get a sniff/taste.) Zero Waste.

Unread 06/06/2018, 09:03 PM   #522
Wally.B
Registered Member

Folks.....Just too busy to maintaining TWO THREADs.

This thread continues here for now.

Plenty of updates happened....(since last post above)

https:// www(dot)reef(#two)reef(dot)com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/page-6

Unread 06/10/2018, 12:35 PM   #523
Wally.B
Registered Member

Gone is an ERA.

My old tank and MH fixture setup has gone up for sale.

http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthre...66#post1742666

Unread 06/12/2018, 04:53 PM   #524
Wally.B
Registered Member

Small update.

TWO Copperbands doing well (One in in 110DT and one in Kitchen DT). Healthy Eatting Masstic and Frozen.

4th Carrberryi Anthias died, but last 3 are hanging in

Got two Wanatabei Angels (A Pair). in QT.

Already up to 6 Frags, some nice ones.

More significant updates on the other thread.

https:// www(dot)reef(#two)reef(dot)com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/page-6

Unread 07/15/2018, 01:40 AM   #525
Wally.B
Registered Member

Tank Update (Things moving along) Rockscape redone, and some new Frags.

Things may seem ok with the Photo taken today, but I had a brown Alage Bloom that took some time to get rid of. Started with added the CaribSea Rock (the Arch). So I removed it and kind of Cured it in a buck for a few weeks.

I also lost a few frags to RTN. Red Dragon, and a couple of Acro.

I forgot to remove 3 baggies of ChemiPure Carbon, and I think they were stripping off the Trace Elements.

I got busy designing and building this Advanced DIY ATO.

and a couple of weeks of missed water changes may have stripped trace elements a bit too much.