Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/20/2020, 05:19 PM   #1
callsign4223
Registered Member

Save Bangai Cardinal eggs

I purchased a pair of Bangai Cardinals from a local reefer through facebook. When I got there to pick them up he let me know that they had bred multiple times in the past. I don't really intend to raise baby fish but it was a cool story. On the way home my kid said there was stuff in the bag. I just figured it was poo or detritus. Nope, its bangai eggs. I'm guessing the male was broody and spit them out due to the stress.

I am attempting to save them, is this possible?

I drilled some holes in an old cereal bowl and zip tied it to the center brace of my tank and put the eggs in there. They appear to be pretty far along. You can see identifiable fry attached to egg sacs in them. Will they hatch being protected with flow? Is there anything else they need? Is this a lost cause already? If they do hatch, what am I going to need to get them to a size that is suitable for release in the main tank?

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Worth the effort and they will need to be fairly bigger than hatch.

Old 12/21/2020, 09:39 AM   #3
callsign4223
Registered Member

At this point I figure I'll keep the hatchlings in the cereal bowl until they're big enough to not get eaten immediately by the clowns. If they hatch. The cereal bowl is directly in line with my gyre so it's getting water circulation through it.

I just have no clue what to feed them if they hatch.

Old 12/28/2020, 09:20 AM   #4
callsign4223
Registered Member

We have at least 3 fry that hatched. Vigorously eating baby brine shrimp.

Old 12/28/2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Sounds like you made a good save! Hopefully the force is with you and you can at least save some of them, despite the male spitting them out.

Please do post progress reports as I just bought six in a effort to hopefully have a couple pair up. I wouldnt mind having a successful brood or two over the next couple of years for the experience if nothing else. Any pointers based off your experience you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2020, 11:25 AM   #6
callsign4223
Registered Member

I'll post updates as I go along. I've heard you need an urchin for the babies to live in, but I'm going to try to just keep them separated until they're large enough to survive in the tank. I'm still not sure I'm going to keep trying to breed them after this, I hadn't really intended to breed them in the first place it was more accidental that the male spit a clutch of eggs in transport. If I do, I will definitely be getting a clear acrylic box to magnet or suction cup to the side of the tank instead of zip tieing a cereal bowl to the brace. My cover nets don't sit right and it's hard to see inside the bowl because it's not much wider than the brace.

Old 12/28/2020, 01:32 PM   #7
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

I have herd they use those for protection against predatory fish. Some friends I know that have bred them just used some putty for gluing rocks together and stuck a bunch of zip ties in it and let it harden as a make shift Sea Urchin. Might try that if your so inclined...

Old 01/13/2021, 03:43 PM   #8
callsign4223
Registered Member

Lost one of the babies. The other two are still eating and growing. The one we lost was the last to lose it's egg sac and never really was as active as the other two.

Old 01/13/2021, 07:19 PM   #9
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to save a couple!!!