Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:13 AM   #726
soulpatch
Registered Member

Wow. It is one thing for someone to say their sandbed is hard. It is another to see it.

I hope you also took the time to vinegar soak those pumps and such. The vinegar smell would also cover up the other odors for when the wife came home. LOL

Wishing you all the best with this go around Homer.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 09:41 AM   #727
homer1475
Registered Member

Most certainly! I cleaned everything with vinegar. Think I ended up using about 5 gallons. The precipitate in my sump was as thick as my monti. lol

A few more pics now that the lights are on. I just realized even though I rinsed the sand, there is still a bit of fog on the inside glass.

Left side of tank

FTS

A little closer FTS of the right side, and the few corals I was able to save(fingers crossed they make it).

Closer FTS of the left side.

Actual left side.

Close up of the left side. I fragged the gorgonian and placed 2 big chunks on either side of the tank.

Overall I'm happy with the change, its the same poundage of rock, but a lot less of it. Not sure I'm exactly happy with the scape, but I'm going to go to a couple LFS's and see if they have any actual live rock, not just cured rock. I'm going to break up some of the larger pieces of pukani once I acid wash it and throw it in my sump for additional filtration and pod heaven.

I have an order coming from reefcleaners for some snails and a bag of pods. The only snails still alive was 1 big turban snail, and one of the original bumblebee snails from the biocube.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"

Last edited by homer1475; 12/06/2017 at 09:51 AM.
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 04:22 AM   #728
homer1475
Registered Member

And a week later everything still looks awesome with no recession! Only thing that worries me a bit is the lack of algae for the army of algae eaters I now have. I've been putting in sushi nori, but I have never fed it before and my fish are super scared of the clip. I would assume they will eventually get used to it and actually eat the stuff.

While I really like john over at reefcleaners, 90% of everything I order from him ends up dying, or arrives dead. Not sure why this always happens, but I feel like an a** every time I make an order he has to refund me half of it. I didn't bother this time, but I need to find someplace to get snails and such that doesn't have exorbitant prices, and and arm and a leg for S&H.

Unread 12/11/2017, 08:26 AM   #729
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
And a week later everything still looks awesome with no recession! Only thing that worries me a bit is the lack of algae for the army of algae eaters I now have. I've been putting in sushi nori, but I have never fed it before and my fish are super scared of the clip. I would assume they will eventually get used to it and actually eat the stuff.

While I really like john over at reefcleaners, 90% of everything I order from him ends up dying, or arrives dead. Not sure why this always happens, but I feel like an a** every time I make an order he has to refund me half of it. I didn't bother this time, but I need to find someplace to get snails and such that doesn't have exorbitant prices, and and arm and a leg for S&H.
So few things:

Nori - rubberband it to a small rock and put in there. I have fish that will nto touch the suction cup clip but will pound it from a rock. The IM nori feeder is AWESOME BTW and all of my fish will eat from that. One of the better purchases I have made honestly.

For CUC I actually have turned to Live Aquaria. They have a build your own package for $75 which is pretty sweet. Sure a hair more then John at RC but you have a MUCH larger selection to choose from in terms of type of CUC. Never had any die off with them. Speaking of which I need ot place an order after the holiday anyway...

Unread 12/11/2017, 11:41 AM   #730
Pellikan
Registered Member

+1 on rubber banding nori to a rock. Same thing happened to me, nobody would touch it from the clip but the rock gets cleaned off in a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pellikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 07:00 PM   #731
homer1475
Registered Member

Nori on rock noted. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I'll have a look at LA, didn't know they carried CUC. I typically like to look at my fish before buying, so I've never really browsed LA.

I'm sorry to say I'm just not happy with RC anymore. I honestly think it has to do with him using USPS. It gets to me the next day, but it sits at my post office till 9am the next day(late delivery is after the office to pick up packages closes), and doesn't make it to my tank until 4pm if their lucky(by time I get out of work).

Unread 12/11/2017, 07:03 PM   #732
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have been pretty impressed with diver den fish. I actually dont have any fish in my tank that I saw before buying. Even local LFS guys I tell them to order me in something and I pick up later.

Unread 12/19/2017, 06:02 AM   #733
homer1475
Registered Member

Looking like it's time to do a WC. Got the uglies starting (although I didn't think I would get any with the completely live rock and dry sand). Only thing I can see really is some lite dusting of brown on the sandbed(diatoms).

Algae scrubber seems to be working better as I have actual algae growth and not just slime. Parameters seems to be good with some actual measurable N&P. I think the issue lat time was ULNS and algae creeping in strangling out the corals. More so the algae then the lack of N&P as I obviously had N&P in the system but the alage was using it up faster then the corals could so they were getting starved of nutrients. Also I wasn't feeding my corals either as I was trying to keep nutrients in check so I could starve the algae, and ended up just starving the corals to death. I'm measuring 0.17 PO4, and 2.5 NO3. Going to see if I can keep it there as that seems for my corals the sweet spot right now with 0 algae growth in the display.

Corals seems to be doing much better. My ducan that had heads receding is actually recovering and the few dead heads have some life starting. My clam is the biggest I've ever seen it open(not gaping, just doesn't have any algae bothering it as my fish picked it clean), and I'm starting to see feeding tentacles extending at night again on what few corals I have left.

My fish have calmed down and seem to be setteling in. My flame angel has stopped pacing up and down the side wall and actually has become quite docile(used to be the tank bully). My pajama cardinal actually swims in the front of the tank now instead of just hanging in the back corner.

All in all, a good move so far. I'll post some pics later after I do the WC.

Unread 12/19/2017, 12:53 PM   #734
soulpatch
Registered Member

The sand will have some silcates and such to fuel a short algae bloom. Should end quickly and not get out of control though.

Unread 12/20/2017, 05:29 PM   #735
homer1475
Registered Member

I unfortunately didn't take any pics, nothing to really take pics of. lol

I did have a look on LA, ended up with a nice CUC and a blue maxima(I just had to make my order 99$ for free shipping).

I'm still going to wait a bit before I introduce more corals. When the ones I have are thriving and growing again, I'll think about adding more.

Unread 12/25/2017, 01:40 AM   #736
homer1475
Registered Member

Don't ask me how, but I came home yesterday to all my fish being peppered with ich. I have no new additions, and all my fish have gone through TTM. So I have absolutely no idea where it came from.

Sometimes this hobby really ****es you off.

Merry f***ing Christmas!

Unread 12/25/2017, 03:39 AM   #737
homer1475
Registered Member

Only thing i can think of is the new LR.

At any rate, I think I will be tearing the tank down for a while. This setback is one too many for me right now. I've just had way to many losses and way to many setbacks since I set this tank up to continue on this path.

I will try to TTM all the fish, but I need to get some supplies first as 5 gallon buckets will not do for 8 fish.

I should have stuck with the biocube!

Unread 12/25/2017, 04:01 AM   #738
homer1475
Registered Member

Come to think of it, I did add several CUC. Maybe something was encysted(sp?) on a snail shell?

Unread 12/25/2017, 07:40 AM   #739
soulpatch
Registered Member

My guess new live rock since it was from a tank and many choose to live with ich

Sucks man. Shame you weren't closer as I have enough supplies to qt those fish and would do it for ya so you didn't have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 12/25/2017, 07:46 AM   #740
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks for the help!

I think I'm going to TTm the worst ones for now one at a time and put them in the 40 I have and leave my display fallow. I'm hoping the worst ones make it through TTM, and the others live long enough in the display for them to go through TTM.

Ordered a small bag of sand so i can TTM the wrasse and have more sand to offer her so she's not so super stressed out like last time I TTMed her.

I don't think its the rock as no one broke out until a couple days ago after I added the CUC. Also the rock sat in a fishless tank for 6 months prior to me buying it.

Unread 12/27/2017, 04:38 PM   #741
homer1475
Registered Member

LA order fginally arrived today. Was about 6 hours late and the water everything was in was super cold(its like -9F out ), but everything looks to be in good shape. All the CUC arrived alive and has already skittered off into the sanbed and scouring my rocks.

The little blue maxima is tiny! It was listed as 3/4 top 1 1/2", its almost 3/4". Tiny little thing, I put it on a frag plug that I buried in the sand. Hopefully he'll attach to that(read in the clam forum this is the ideal way to get them to attach to something besides your bottom glass or immovable rock). Opened right up and responds well to light. Fingers crossed this little guy makes it.

I forgot I needed salt so waiting on that arrival before I start TTM. Already lost one little clown goby, the rest of the fish look OK although peppered with ich. I just hope they make it anohter week or 2 before I can start TTM.

Unread 12/28/2017, 03:20 PM   #742
homer1475
Registered Member

Pics of tiny blue maxima, as well as how well some of my other corals are doing now.

A p[ic next to my gold squamosa for size comparison. The squammy is about 4" now.

The scoly that has recovered very well and is actually starting to grow again.

The only euphyllia I have left, a lone torch. Nothing seems to affect the growth of this one.

Green plate that was really suffering before. It was super bleached and I never saw its tentacles out. Now they are all puffy and always out ready for food.

Got my salt, and other thing I needed for massive TTM in today. I think I'll start with my pair of clowns Monday as I have a super busy weekend at work, and I need to get the 40G cycled with some of my old rock. The old rock I have sitting in a bucket of bleach water to try and clean some of it.

Typical ich life cycle, my fish look "OK" today but I can still see some of the peppering on the brighter fish(orchid dottyback, naked clown). Everyone is still eating and swimming just fine, so I think they'll be fine waiting for TTM for a few more days.

Last edited by homer1475; 12/28/2017 at 03:28 PM.
Unread 12/28/2017, 08:08 PM   #743
Novice101
Registered Member

Damn dude I just read through this whole thing today and I kept saying wow I can’t wait to see the end when the tank finally gets back to norm because you know what you’re doing you just got screwed someway some how throughout your whole build I have a feeling when you reboot this tank you’re going to do very well keep your head up. By the way it took me probably 7 hours to read this thread hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novice101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 01:59 PM   #744
homer1475
Registered Member

Damn 7 hours! Thanks for reading!

Woke up this morning to my yellow eye kole dead, and the dottyback dead. Guess they can't wait for TTM. Started today with my clowns. Just hope the larger tank will cycle fast.

Unread 12/30/2017, 02:02 PM   #745
Novice101
Registered Member

Quote:
Damn 7 hours! Thanks for reading!

Woke up this morning to my yellow eye kole dead, and the dottyback dead. Guess they can't wait for TTM. Started today with my clowns. Just hope the larger tank will cycle fast.

Very well documented thread I really hope you can get this worked out and also I had the same problem you had with gha it just kept coming back so once I had to move homes I decided I wasn’t going to go that big and I might do a Im 25 lagoon tank or maybe a little bigger not sure yet but I’ll tell you what I’m going all in on this next tank mp10 kessil all the good stuff

Unread 12/30/2017, 02:19 PM   #746
homer1475
Registered Member

I just said to my wife that we should have just stuck with the biocube. That little tank was rocking!

At this point I almost wish my fish would die and I could take a break for a while. With all this loss I'm just burnt out on this tank and the hobby in general.

Enjoying the hobby, the people, the sense of calm when gazing at the tank, and the challenge is what keeps me going. Quitters never win!

Unread 12/30/2017, 02:48 PM   #747
soulpatch
Registered Member

Homer I am currently struggling with aiptasia. Seems I can't get ahead. It is always something but at same time keeps tank from being mundane. I think once you are over this hurdle you will be good. A period of calm and tank stability is all you need

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 12/30/2017, 03:03 PM   #748
homer1475
Registered Member

Thats exactly what I need. I don't mind the hurdles, I hate throwing the money away.

Like I said, it's the challenge that keeps me going.

But a while of stability would help a ton right now. Loosing the kole tang is tough because it'll be a fish I can never get again unless I happen to find one somewhere.

Unread 12/30/2017, 03:13 PM   #749
Novice101
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats exactly what I need. I don't mind the hurdles, I hate throwing the money away.

Like I said, it's the challenge that keeps me going.

But a while of stability would help a ton right now. Loosing the kole tang is tough because it'll be a fish I can never get again unless I happen to find one somewhere.

You know they say having a fish tank actually helps depression but sometime the hobby causes it lol

Unread 12/30/2017, 03:34 PM   #750
homer1475
Registered Member

Just ordered the last yellow eye kole from bluezoo. Make me a little happier.

I don't think my flame angel is going to make it the night. I have him in a tank starting TTM, but it doesn't look good. Thats the one fish that doesn't really hurt my feeling to loose, he was a d*ck to all my other fish.