Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 09:12 PM   #26
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

A UV may still work its way into my system in the future when there is more budget. Slief, Thanks for your help and suggestions.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 01:50 PM   #27
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 View Post
Thx for the great discussion. Slief's notion that a lot more people would be using this tech if it worked as advertised is on point. Maybe there needs to be a test! �� I suppose it would entail running straight UV vs. UV/Ozone combo unit on very similar systems for a significant period of time. Even then it would be difficult to tell which unit works better without dosing some nasty stuff. Undersranding the physics of how UV and Ozone work may have to suffice. What are the flow requirements for each? I thought Ozone reacted so quickly that flow was inconsequential.
Your test idea sounds like a great BRS investigates series. It's been a few months now and I won't run a tank without ozone now. All of the fish are healthy, water clarity is improved, odors are eliminated and I never experience diatoms. From a scientific standpoint, Ozone kills bacteria and viruses on contact. It's also effective in destroying organic contaminants, pathogens, and a variety of inorganic materials. For all of ozone's inherent power, it is perfectly safe and will not adversely affect people, pets, or equipment when properly installed. I followed the instructions on setup, vent skimmer exhaust outside, only run it at night, and use a controller fitted with an ORP set of a max ORP of 325. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:13 PM   #28
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
From a scientific standpoint, Ozone kills bacteria and viruses on contact.
BRS already did a video on Ozone. They state it does not kill Bacteria in the quantitly that can safely be run in a Reef tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKMRHtNCNE

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 08:34 AM   #29
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I use the Ozotech electronic dryer. It is fantastic and I'm so glad not to be drying beads and baking them. I like in Maryland (the swamp), so would need to dry beads constantly. Consider adding it later in the future if you get tired of the bead drying.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 08:42 AM   #30
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 View Post
No one has responded to this line of inquiry. I have the same questions.

Reefkeeper64 -- did you get one of the PRO models? Seems to me like a great deal on combo UV/Ozone.
I would say most of those points are correct.

The disadvantage that the bulbs can be expensive. UV systems use similar bulbs. What I did for my UV system was to find a medical supplier to buy the bulbs from for much cheaper than fish sites. Also you can buy 3-6 at a time. It's a pain though because you should test them all when you get them and not when you later just get around to it.

The part that I think is false is about not needing the carbon post ozone. This is to convert some toxic oxidized byproducts and it shouldn't depend on how the ozone was generated. That being said, I never post filter with carbon for my ozotech set up.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 09:14 AM   #31
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I went with an ozotech Poseidon 200 instead of the ozone/uv combo. I didn’t want to get something that required bulb replacement. The Corona discharge setup is really working out well. I run it on a controller from 12 midnight to 7 am. I use the lowest setting on the ozotech and the controller shuts it off when ORP raises to 350.

Unread 12/16/2017, 05:16 PM   #32
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
BRS already did a video on Ozone. They state it does not kill Bacteria in the quantitly that can safely be run in a Reef tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKMRHtNCNE

Respectfully, the science of ozone use in aquatic facilities is well documented. I want to insure that modern science is shared with other hobbyists.

Harmful Microorganisms

Disease causing microorganisms need to be controlled in aquatic facilities, and ozone can destroy harmful microorganisms by direct oxidation or indirectly by the formation of germicidal byproducts. In aquariums, harmful organisms include: parasites, which can cause infections; viruses, resulting in Lymphocystis; vibrio disease causing bacteria such as Aeromonas and Pseudomonas; fungus, which may invade vital organs; protozoans, such as dinoflagellates, which can cause external and mouth infections; and flatworms, which may attach externally to the fish (Spotte, 1973). In marine mammal facilities, E. coli is used as an indicator organism and allowable fecal coliform counts are regulated by the Marine Mammal Protection Act (Fed. Reg. June 22, 1979). Effective ozone disinfection is governed chiefly by the following mechanisms: transfer efficiency, good mixing, adequate contact time, and minimal short circuiting in the contactor. This criteria suggested by the U.S. EPA (EPA/625, 1986) reflects trends in current LSS technology for the use of venturi ozone injectors and pressure contactor/degassers.

http://www.intaquaforum.org/PROC%20M...25-Johnson.doc

Unread 12/19/2017, 06:59 PM   #33
origreefer
Registered Member

I've been running ozone since 1993. Use to run it into the venturi intake of the skimmer and just put a dry bag of carbon on the skimmer cap lid's opening (to absorb any residual from getting into house environment) and run the skimmer's effluent thru some carbon in the sump. This method will still work perfect today for venturi skimmers. Currently, I use an Avast reactor which dumps into an Avast carbon reactor. Sorry to hear Avast doesnt make them anymore. They made kits you assembled yourself, could save some bucks on those.

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:09 PM   #34
Arthur1
Registered Member

Reef, I never fully understood why corona discharge ozonators are so much more popular than uv ozonators. I had ozone pumped through a Precision Marine Reactor reactor and everything was fine but I detested drying the beads in the oven so often. The air dryers are nice but for most people, an expense that could be applied somewhere else in their system. Per an individual on here, I bought a Clarathon Ozonator off of ebay for about $75 put a 3 prong plug on it and when the unit actually gets use and needs replacement, back to ebay.
Slief, properly utilized, UV should control an ich outbreak, I just wonder why yours didn't respond to my experience. Way back when, late 90's and then again early 2000s, I managed a fish room, in which we had 2 freshwater systems and 2 salt, each equaling up to a couple thousand gallons. Many UV units were inline synchronized for each system and never was there an ich outbreak. If an aquarium full of fish displayed ich, it was taken offline and independently treated. I credit the lack of an outbreak to the systems set up. Sadly, the greed of some, led to that facilities demise. I wish I could go back in time to snap some pics. And Reef, if you haven't already read his articles on the subject, Randy Holmes-Farley did write a 3 part series upon ozone, a good read. In the mean time, enjoy!

Arthur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:13 PM   #35
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by origreefer View Post
I've been running ozone since 1993. Use to run it into the venturi intake of the skimmer and just put a dry bag of carbon on the skimmer cap lid's opening (to absorb any residual from getting into house environment) and run the skimmer's effluent thru some carbon in the sump. This method will still work perfect today for venturi skimmers. Currently, I use an Avast reactor which dumps into an Avast carbon reactor. Sorry to hear Avast doesnt make them anymore. They made kits you assembled yourself, could save some bucks on those.
1993? That's 24 years and an impressive run using ozone or even in reef tanks for that matter. I use a venturi intake of the skimmer and carbon as you do. I'm always impressed with folks like yourself who were doing this before we had the internet to share tribal knowledge like this. Paul B is another long time reefer and he leverages ozone like yourself. I consider you in the same club as him. Have you found that your animals have fared better as compared to others who didn't use ozone over such a long period of time? Any other observations you wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks.

Last edited by ReefKeeper64; 12/19/2017 at 09:19 PM.
ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote