Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Foureye butterfly fish

I've got a few questions about the foureye butterfly fish.
1. Are they softie and gorgonian safe?
2. Since they grow to about 5 inches (never seen a six inches and only a couple at 5 in probably 100-150 hours on Florida reefs) would a foureye be okay in a 40B?
3. How hard are they to care for(weaning to frozen)
Thank you in advance

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 06:44 AM   #2
MMacro
Registered Member

Chaetodon capistratus?
They are fairly difficult to get feeding and will require a tank much larger than 40 gallons. They are known to go after gorgonians and sps.

Here are some articles that mght be useful.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fi...n-capistratus/

http://life-sea.blogspot.nl/2011/07/...yfish.html?m=1

Unread 08/08/2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Ok thanks, I've read those articles and I'm not afraid of the difficulty, just didn't want to put one in too small of a tank. Why do you think they need a larger tank as they average around 4 inches (the same size and activity level as a dwarf angel).

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:08 AM   #4
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
Ok thanks, I've read those articles and I'm not afraid of the difficulty, just didn't want to put one in too small of a tank. Why do you think they need a larger tank as they average around 4 inches (the same size and activity level as a dwarf angel).
I have seen them get upwards of 6 inches. I wouldn't put one in anything less than 48" long, preferably longer. They get easily stressed in smaller tanks.

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:29 AM   #5
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Oh ok, thanks for dissuading me from getting one and putting it in too small of an aquarium. What about the Atlantic longnose?

Unread 08/08/2017, 09:50 AM   #6
MMacro
Registered Member

The longnose is a bit smaller and much easier to care for than the four eye, however an adult Prognathodes aculeatus is not suitable for a 40 gallon. I would not recommend any type of butterfly fish to a 40 breeder.

Unread 08/08/2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Ok, thank you for the advice

Unread 08/08/2017, 01:16 PM   #8
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, thank you for the advice
If you are looking for an active fish you could try an african flameback angel (Centropyge aurantonotus).

Unread 08/08/2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I already have a C. argi, I am making my tank a Caribbean biotope and was looking for a second open waterish fish.

Unread 08/08/2017, 08:57 PM   #10
mike61289
Registered Member

Butterflies are definitely not suitable for a tank that size. Even the small ones still inhabit large reefs and like the space to roam around. Confining any open water swimmers to a 40 gallon would just be cruel.

I'd advise you to look more into fish that like to stick to small areas of a reef. Royal grammas don't venture around much and are found in Caribbean waters. There are a few gobies too and even some damsels (although I wouldn't recommend the damsels since they can be jerks) that will venture out but won't feel confined in a tank that size.

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:05 PM   #11
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
Butterflies are definitely not suitable for a tank that size. Even the small ones still inhabit large reefs and like the space to roam around. Confining any open water swimmers to a 40 gallon would just be cruel.

I'd advise you to look more into fish that like to stick to small areas of a reef. Royal grammas don't venture around much and are found in Caribbean waters. There are a few gobies too and even some damsels (although I wouldn't recommend the damsels since they can be jerks) that will venture out but won't feel confined in a tank that size.
There are some damsels that would be ok in a tank that size. Allens, Azures, Talbots for example. Also Starcki's when you can find them. They will need caves and crevices to call home of course and your mileage may vary. I have had great luck with Azures and Talbots - that family seems to be a bit more calm or so it seems.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I like damsels and have had them in the past but I'm doing a Caribbean biotope with this tank. Do you have any suggestions for fish?

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:56 PM   #13
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
I like damsels and have had them in the past but I'm doing a Caribbean biotope with this tank. Do you have any suggestions for fish?
Fair enough. Its has been a couple years since I have been diving there but I seem to recall plenty of damsels native to the area.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef

Last edited by saf1; 08/09/2017 at 09:55 PM.
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 06:41 AM   #14
eastlake
Registered Member

Blue reef chromis are an open water swimming Caribbean fish, I just don't know how many would work in a 40 breeder as they get to be a pretty descent size for a chromis. This post is also being made under the assumption that you're not adverse to all damsel type fish.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 09:24 AM   #15
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I don't think blue reef chromis would be a great idea since they get pretty big

Unread 08/10/2017, 02:32 PM   #16
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
Blue reef chromis are an open water swimming Caribbean fish, I just don't know how many would work in a 40 breeder as they get to be a pretty descent size for a chromis. This post is also being made under the assumption that you're not adverse to all damsel type fish.
They would get too big for a tank that size. Besides that, I find that they are either not collected well or don't adjust to captivity. They bring in diseases and just wither away.

Unread 08/10/2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Mike, do you have any suggestions for a couple of Caribbean fish? I don't want a royal gramma, maybe a black cap or other basslet

Unread 08/10/2017, 09:57 PM   #18
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Sailfin Blenny is a Caribbean fish that we've seen on many dives. Cherub angel is another but they pack an attitude. Black cap basslets are great fish. We see them deeper than grammas and they seem to be more shy.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 10:17 PM   #19
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Mike, do you have any suggestions for a couple of Caribbean fish? I don't want a royal gramma, maybe a black cap or other basslet
Blackcaps are beautiful but can be more territorial than royal grammas. It's not a bad fish overall though.

Another suggestion and personal favorite of mine are the yellowhead jawfish. They're really cute, easy to care for if kept with peaceful tank mates, and are really entertaining. Like the wrasses, they need a cover of some sort over the tank because they do jump when startled. They also need a 2.5-3 inch sand bed.

Besides those, there aren't many fish I can think of for a 40 gallon. It's not much room to work with and many of the Caribbean fish that are imported are large (queen angels, rock beauty angels, porcupine puffers, etc...).

Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to a Caribbean biotope?

Unread 08/11/2017, 08:06 AM   #20
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Hi hats are good, interesting fish.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 08:42 AM   #21
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I want to replicate some of what I see when I dive in the Florida keys, that's why I am sticking to a Caribbean biotope. I like yellow headed jaw fish but it won't work with a future critter I'm getting. Hi hats look cool but how big do they get?

Unread 08/11/2017, 04:08 PM   #22
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Live aquaria says 70 gallon minimum. Never mind.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 04:12 PM   #23
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
I want to replicate some of what I see when I dive in the Florida keys, that's why I am sticking to a Caribbean biotope. I like yellow headed jaw fish but it won't work with a future critter I'm getting. Hi hats look cool but how big do they get?
What's the future critter? The yellowhead jawfish is peaceful and invert safe in my experience.

Unread 08/11/2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

The future critter is (hopefully) N. oerstedii. I have had these mantises with fish in the past and they have been great. I would worry about jawfish because of the burrowing nature of this fish. My luck would be the jawfish builds its home in front of the mantises cave. I'm not worried about the fish as long as it isn't a substrate dweller

Unread 08/12/2017, 08:42 AM   #25
PatW
Registered Member

Yellow headed jawfish dig burrows. They like coarse sand and rubble. Years ago, I had two. They built their burrows and decorated the entrances to their burrows with pebbles. They coveted each other's pebbles and spent most of their time attempting to steal the valuable pebbles. I never could figure out what made certain pebbles valued.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote