Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2017, 09:17 PM   #26
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
yea - these are great ideas. Never thought of the plug either.

Regarding ball valves instead of true unions - that is certainly an option to save space. My first goal in any system I build is to use threaded fittings where I can (longer runs - I dont mind gluing). The RD3 has what looks like 1/2 of a union - so I'd be looking to replace the internal socket connection with an internal threaded connection. I never ever glue fittings into the proprietary pump parts (inlet / outlet) - that has to be 100% threaded fittings.

That is part of why I shy away from the abyzz. 40 and 50 mm connections that appear to require glued metric to British adapters. I wouldn't use fernco's for these types of connections in a saltwater environment.
The abyzz comes with 2 ring adapters to make it work. You just glue them to the metric connections then they are 1.5" and 2"

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 06:09 PM   #27
marinelife
Registered Member

So far the tank temp has gone up to 80 Degrees from 76 with the Red Dragon running at 100%

I have set the controller to run at 160Watt for most of the day and then jump to 230W a few hours a day. I wish the controller would let me do speed adjustments more than once a day like the Abyzz controller does.

I do think I will need to change something on the output, right now its T'd to 2" bulks. The flow does not push far out. I am going to try and drop them down to 1" or so maybe. What ever I do I have to make sure I can keep the snails and stuff out of the pipes.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
Unread 12/02/2017, 07:08 PM   #28
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
So far the tank temp has gone up to 80 Degrees from 76 with the Red Dragon running at 100%

I have set the controller to run at 160Watt for most of the day and then jump to 230W a few hours a day. I wish the controller would let me do speed adjustments more than once a day like the Abyzz controller does.

I do think I will need to change something on the output, right now its T'd to 2" bulks. The flow does not push far out. I am going to try and drop them down to 1" or so maybe. What ever I do I have to make sure I can keep the snails and stuff out of the pipes.
Do you still have the A200 running? If so, I’d be curious what happens to the temps with the A200 off. The RD3 dissipates most of the heat at the controller but there is still some heat transfer. When I switched from a pair of Reeflo Super Dart Golds to a pair of RD3 230’s, my temps dropped 2 degrees in my system which was 600 gallons at the time. Obviously that is a larger volume than yours but that is with two RD3’s. One running at 150 watts for my return and the other at 170 watts during the day. Mine are running externally. I assume yours are as well? We have a couple customers who switched from Abyzz and saw a temp drop so it has me a bit curious. This could be because they didn’t need to run their 230’s at as high a power setting as the Abyzz so it was less wattage over all. They also didn’t require high head pressure so that made a difference in terms of the power settings they need from the Abyzz vs the RD3 for flow.

Also, if the controller is under the cabinet where your sump is located, make sure it’s well ventilated because the controller may be warming up the cabinet which will contribute to your tank temp increase due to the increase in ambient air temps.

If you reduce your pair of 2” outputs to a pair of 1” fed by the 2” line, that will increase the velocity of water out of the outputs. If the bulkheads are 2” threaded ones, you could get a 2” male thread to female slip, heat it and put it in a vice and clamp the end to make a nozzle. That would also increase velocity without reducing it. You should ditch the T and replace it with a wye. They will reduce friction losses and improve flow.

This is a 2” x 1” PVC WYE that is a manifold style which would be ideal.
https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p...n&ppinc=detail

This is a 2” x 2” PVC WYE that is also a manifold style.
https://www.getpoolparts.com/product...CABEgJb_PD_BwE

This is a 1.5” x 1” WYE which would also work if you reduce it from 2” to 1.5” closer to the to top of the tank.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VTG668...VTG6685289109/

And a 2” x 2” 120* WYE.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/water...iABEgK5GfD_BwE

If you have a controller like an Apex, I would take advantage of 0-10v Control. It will allow you to ran a wider range of flow through the RD3 with virtually unlimited changes in flow. As for the snails, I don’t think you will need to worry about them getting into the output lines if the pump is running.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/02/2017 at 07:42 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 07:44 PM   #29
marinelife
Registered Member

I will be testing and see if either pump is the issue. I am going to leave them off one at a time. If may not be either pump not sure. I am testing things.

Both pumps are on a shelf beside the tank with plenty of air. Space is limited for plumbing so not sure I can fit a WYE in the loop.

No apex at this time.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/03/2017, 03:22 AM   #30
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Comparsion chinese DC Pump 200 Watt vs. RD3 Speedy 230 Watt ... ( right Picture = Speedy)

In the summer is heattransfer a important Point ....

best regards ...Klaus

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20171128_140405-1.jpeg (22.9 KB, 87 views)
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 08:29 AM   #31
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Not as big a tank or pump but I have been battling temps with an internal pump for over a year.
The original Waveline's ran so cool I needed a heater to maintain anything over 76 degrees. Well, then 2 pumps died.
Nothing I tried AC or DC ran under 80 degrees, some over that.
I now run a RD Speedy 3 80 Watt @ 72 Watts. Temps are now right around 77-78 degrees.
I'm a "Happy Camper" again.

Unread 12/04/2017, 09:25 PM   #32
marinelife
Registered Member

I have been testing both pumps to see if one is causing the tank temp to go up. Right now I am feeling like it is the room temperature that is causing the issue. I did show a little temperature rise with the RD3 running and the A200 off but I want to blame our Ohio weather. I think the tank is getting warmer not from the pumps but the room temp. I think it is just a coincidence that the temp jumped with the RD3. Right now with my AC running the tank is holding steady at 78.1, the RD3 is at 230W and the A200 is variable. Ohio is getting warm days and cold nights right now so I will monitor the temp and pumps to see what happens.

Also Scott from Royal Exclusiv is kicking butt on support!!

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/05/2017, 08:51 AM   #33
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Scott is a great guy to know, passionate & honest.
Temps will rise because of lighting also, even with LED.

Unread 12/05/2017, 09:54 AM   #34
marinelife
Registered Member

Tank temp has not been an issue in years since going LED, I thought it was the pump(s) because that is when the issue started. I do feel now that it is the room getting warmer because the AC was off because our mornings are cold.
I will be watching the temp closely.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/11/2017, 06:57 PM   #35
marinelife
Registered Member

Well, I have done what no one else has I guess. The driver for the A200 is dead. Support has been contacted and they responded but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what will happen. I have not even had it a month and it's already having issues. I guess they have to contact Germany to find out how they want to handle my issue. Very disappointed to have to wait but at least this is not my return pump.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/11/2017, 08:07 PM   #36
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

So let me get this straight, the AbyzzUSA warehouse in Louisiana outsourced their customer service to Coralvue which has to contact Germany any time there is a problem with a pump? Sounds highly inefficient and very disappointing for a pump that costs that much. Scott would of had a replacement on the way already, and he wouldn't have to contact Germany about it.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:13 PM   #37
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I have done what no one else has I guess. The driver for the A200 is dead. Support has been contacted and they responded but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what will happen. I have not even had it a month and it's already having issues. I guess they have to contact Germany to find out how they want to handle my issue. Very disappointed to have to wait but at least this is not my return pump.
how did you mount the controller? Horizontal or vertical? Just curious.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 12:46 PM   #38
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
how did you mount the controller? Horizontal or vertical? Just curious.
Posted on the first page.
Abyzz Controller
Abyzz Controller

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/12/2017, 12:50 PM   #39
gcarroll
Registered Member

Looks to have been mounted properly so no excuse for that.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 12/12/2017, 08:14 PM   #40
marinelife
Registered Member

Update:
They are sending me another controller/driver. They sent me a return label and once they see FedEx has the old unit from me they will send the new one. So it should be sent to me tomorrow with delivery Friday I hope. I was at FedEx within 20 minutes of getting the label. If they would have responded early in the day they may have been able to send it out today but it was too late by the time I got the label and got the Fedex. At least it's checked in at FedEx so they can send it out tomorrow.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/12/2017, 08:14 PM   #41
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Looks to have been mounted properly so no excuse for that.
I am not really sure what the issue was, not sure if they will update me or just send it to Germany when they get it back. I am going to ask. I would love to know.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:41 PM   #42
gcarroll
Registered Member

Bottom line is they got you taken care of! I must admit, The way Scott handles customer service with these pumps is great. But then again it wasn’t always this way and he has had some practice over the last couple years to iron out the kinks.

Unread 12/13/2017, 05:37 PM   #43
marinelife
Registered Member

I have a tracking number that shows Friday delivery.
I think they handled the situation just fine. While it is upsetting that the controller stopped working in the first place, it's under warranty and is being taken care of.
They could have responded yesterday a little earlier but, They did respond in the morning Monday to the ticket I opened over the weekend. CoralVue's CEO responded to me right away over the weekend about it.

I am sure as they get things for Abyzz understood, the speed of service will improve. Nothing out there is 100%. Anything you buy no matter the cost can break. It happens.

So far I am happy with Tunze, CoralVue, and Royal Exclusiv's support. They are the best in the business. They have the right people in place to serve the community. This can change at anytime. Hopefully it does not!!

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/13/2017, 07:27 PM   #44
Braver69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Not as big a tank or pump but I have been battling temps with an internal pump for over a year.
The original Waveline's ran so cool I needed a heater to maintain anything over 76 degrees. Well, then 2 pumps died.
Nothing I tried AC or DC ran under 80 degrees, some over that.
I now run a RD Speedy 3 80 Watt @ 72 Watts. Temps are now right around 77-78 degrees.
I'm a "Happy Camper" again.
Did they stop making the Waveline pumps? A shame if they did as they have worked very well for me and they do run cool.

Braver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 07:39 PM   #45
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braver69 View Post
Did they stop making the Waveline pumps? A shame if they did as they have worked very well for me and they do run cool.
Waveline pumps are still made!

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/15/2017, 06:13 PM   #46
marinelife
Registered Member

the new controller came and I am getting low volt error on it this is very aggravating. Support is closed until Monday so no solution until then.
Also most ready to return it and get another Red Dragon.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/16/2017, 06:57 PM   #47
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
the new controller came and I am getting low volt error on it this is very aggravating. Support is closed until Monday so no solution until then.
That's disappointing to say the least. Surprised they don't quality control new products before sending them out. 0 for 2 now and you have the pump for a month.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 09:36 PM   #48
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I don’t know the Abyzz controllers but is it possible that it’s in 0-10v mode or something via a setting in the controller and not detecting a 0-10v connection and throwing a low voltage error as a result? Maybe a setting that needs to be changed via the menu?

Unread 12/18/2017, 06:48 PM   #49
marinelife
Registered Member

Looks like the replacement was the 220v until. It is on its way back to them and a new one is in shipping to me. Hopefully, this will be the fix!!

All LED since 2010.

Unread 12/20/2017, 06:16 PM   #50
marinelife
Registered Member

Update:
They sent me a 2 controller. It works but was damaged in shipping.

All LED since 2010.