Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:36 AM   #1
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

eb8 triac outlet pulsing

is it normal for the non relay outlet of eb8 to pulse or is it sign of a bad eb8?

my power supply wall wart has an led and it pulses every second.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 11:02 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Low power consumption devices should be on the relay outlets and not the triacs. An AC Adapter won't play nice with the triacs. Move it to a relay outlet.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 11:10 AM   #3
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

it switches on/off fine. just that if it is off, the led indicator on the ac adapter pulses. which goes back to my question, is this a sign of bad eb8? I did a google search and one theory is bad triac. I take it that is just a conjecture.

Unread 12/04/2017, 12:01 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

I don't think the EB8 or that triac is bad. Put an incandescent light on the outlet and see what happens when the outlet is off. You could also put a volt meter on the outlet and see what kind of voltage of any is passing through the outlet.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 12:13 PM   #5
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it will show a pulse every one second.
if triac is not bad, it could be apex firmware testing for current load?

Unread 12/05/2017, 08:01 PM   #6
mal7887
Registered Member

I suggest trying incandescent light as slief suggested (or something that will for sure be switched on/off). This will for sure rule out whether on not the TRIAC. As mentioned, they do not always function as intended with low consumption devices.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 08:49 PM   #7
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

The outlet works fine. If the outlet is OFF, and is correctly off as the 12v fan is not spinning. If I switch the outlet on, it correctly comes on. The question I have is, while it is off, is it normal for the outlet to pulse every second. I already know it is pulsing, just want to confirm if the pulsing is by design and for what reason. As this pulsing may actually cause some unexpected result for some devices.

When I google searched, it seems that this behavior existed even in the old DC8s.

I’m hoping someone from neptune who knows the firmware can give a definitive answer.