Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 05:34 PM   #1
five.five-six
Registered Member

Tang

I have a 135 6’ SPS dominated tank. Existing fishes are gobies, dragonets 2 percs and a Scopus tang. I would like some more color in the water colum and something bigger than my scopus as apparently I have the Sp A.hole Scopus. I have read that a 6’ tank is what is required for a clown tang. Am I pushing it for that fish? I don’t plan on adding much more fish. Perhaps 4 lyretail anthias or some chromis but that’s it.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 05:42 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

As cursory reading will tell you, the clown (and Sohal) is about the most aggressive tang there is. Cramping just makes it worse. Personally I would not put either in a 6 foot tank - I think you're just asking for trouble.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
As cursory reading will tell you, the clown (and Sohal) is about the most aggressive tang there is. Cramping just makes it worse. Personally I would not put either in a 6 foot tank - I think you're just asking for trouble.
+1 if you don't mind having the other fish killed by the clown tang eventually then go for it. I was contemplating getting one for my 625g and decided against it because they are so aggressive and need tons of room to swim. I have the room to swim but don't want to see the other fish get killed because of a aggressive tang. My tank is 7ft long x 6ft wide x 2ft deep and I was very hesitant with a clown tang. They are beautiful fish though

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:33 PM   #4
saf1
Registered Member

Not that I would get one but why are they such poo heads? Anti social all around by nature or just fish adhd sort of thing that kicks in when there is nowhere to go and everything is the same.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:41 PM   #5
five.five-six
Registered Member

Any suggestions for another fish for me?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 12/14/2017, 10:39 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Powder Blue is a very beautiful Tang. However, they are not the easiest Tang to keep

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 03:10 AM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Powder Blue is a very beautiful Tang. However, they are not the easiest Tang to keep

Interesting.

Based on my tank size and it’s other inhabitants, That’s actually my top pick for the “big fish” in my tank now. I have been keeping fish for about 35 years and the powder blue was one that I failed at keeping many times with smaller tanks. So much so that I never even tried one in the 180 I built 10 years ago.

When I got this scopus, it was given to me by another reefer. He had bought it on line and it was too big for his tank, he posted it up for free and I accepted it. By the time I had gotten to pick it up, with still a 1 hr drive home, it was still in it’s shipping bag. We were very conserned he wouldn’t make it. We got into a good habbit of placeing veggie sheets in the tank as a result.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:52 AM   #8
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

What other tangs do you like?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 08:26 AM   #9
five.five-six
Registered Member

Double tap

"I hate that hole"

Last edited by five.five-six; 12/15/2017 at 08:32 AM.
Unread 12/15/2017, 08:29 AM   #10
five.five-six
Registered Member

I’d like a harlequin but I have a clam and hermits and I think he would eat them for lunch.

Just look at those giant crustacean crunchers!

"I hate that hole"

Unread 12/15/2017, 08:43 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

HT will not eat larger snailes or hermit. But all the sub 2 mm snails are tosted. Cleaner shrimp are OK, at least in my well fed tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/15/2017, 10:21 AM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Not that I would get one but why are they such poo heads? Anti social all around by nature or just fish adhd sort of thing that kicks in when there is nowhere to go and everything is the same.
Not an evolution expert, but probably the same 'logic' that resulted in the Wolverine (the actual animal, not Hugh Jackman). I guess there's a niche for lots of antisocial behavior.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 10:36 AM   #13
McPuff
Registered Member

Some animals are just jerks. :0)

If you really want a tang, you could try a mimic. They are very underappreciated and do not get huge. They are also a different genus which help (zebrasoma vs acanthurus). I added a pyroferus (chocolate mimic) to a tank with a well established scopas and no issues (though the lieutenant does chase the chocolate). There are a few species of "mimic" tangs. Do a quick search. They are very cool.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 10:46 AM   #14
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
HT will not eat larger snailes or hermit. But all the sub 2 mm snails are tosted. Cleaner shrimp are OK, at least in my well fed tank.

What about clams?

"I hate that hole"

Unread 12/15/2017, 11:23 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Does not bother tridacnid clams

Unread 12/15/2017, 11:41 AM   #16
nereefpat
Registered Member

How about a bristletooth (Ctenochaetus) tang like a kole or white tail?

A Genicanthus sp angel like a spotbreast or watanabei would work.

Or a foxface (one spot, bicolor, or magnificent).

Or if you want to take a chance on a dwarf angel.

Lots of wrasses to choose from too.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 12:43 PM   #17
jmm
Registered Member

I bought a tiny, juvenile harlequin tusk. He lived a few months with hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp (both scarlet and fire). As he grew, the shrimp disappeared, the snails and hermits were all eaten. He would lay very still beside a hiding hermit. As soon as the crab came out he would catch and eat it. Some hermits were small, some large. He ate them all. Now (after nearly four years of growth) he lives alone. I would love to put him in my larger tank but that tank has some shrimp that have been in there five years and lots of hermits and snails.

Minh has had much better luck with his harlequin than I have. When I get new fish and put them through TTM, he can see them across the room and he tries to get to them by attacking the glass on his tank. He's a mean one.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 12:27 PM   #18
Cknlove
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of Angelfish, trick is to get one that is coral safe. I recently added a flameback that shows no interest in coral. If that changes - he's outta there.

This was the second dwarf angel in the tank, first one was not coral safe.

My 2c- have a good way to remove the fish should anything go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 12:33 PM   #19
scooter31707
Registered Member

I get a Lavender or Chocolate/Lemonpeel Mimic Tang.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote