Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

The different between using Kalk stirrer and calcium reactors !

What is the different between using Kalk stirrer and calcium reactors ?

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 08:15 PM   #2
poppin_fresh
Registered Member

A kalk stirrer is just that... a device that stirs a kalkwasser solution. It is used to keep higher concentrations of it in suspension during dosing. While it helps get the most from the kalk, it cannot make up for the fact that Kalk is not the best choice to try and raise Ca levels...too much affect on PH. Kalk should be primarily used to maintain Ca not raise it.

A calcium reactor on the other hand is capable of raising Ca with out so much of a PH effect.

Which one you use is up to you and the demand for Ca and Alk by your tank. Some people may even use both as a balanced solution. I would recommend you check out the chemistry forum for more info.

Current Tank Info: None now. Past- 180g w/ 100g basement sump and 20g 'fuge. H & S skimmer, T'5s & Tunze
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 09:22 PM   #3
alpha0r
Registered Member

Both Kalk stirrers and CA recators add calcium and alkinity in a balanced fashion that is in the ratio that corals consume both to make their skeletons.

If you only drip clear Kalk you add almost no impunities while a CA reactor will add to the tank everything in the media both good and bad. So any magnesium and strontium in the media will be added but so will any phosphate. Greg Hiller has written some articles about impurities in reactor media if you want to know more.

Greg Hillers analysis of limestone media for CaCO3/CO2 reactors
http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariu...cid=124&search=

Calcium Reactor Substrate -- Phosphate Levels
by Greg Hiller
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...l2003/short.htm

A CA reactor also allows you to add much more CA and ALK than kalkwasser. Because Kalk can only be mixed with fresh water, you can't add any more than your amount of evaporation while a CA reactor uses salt water so evaporation isn't an issue.

A major difference between the two is how they effect PH. A Kalk stirrer will raise the PH significantly relative to the amount of calcium added while a CA reactor can slightly depress PH.

Here are some good articles for you.

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-...ature/index.htm

alpha0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Semper Fi 1959
Moved On

I apologize for not having anything pertinent to the topic to add, as it has all been said already...but came in to read the thread because I am about to setup both a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor.

The reason I'm commenting is that poppin_fresh's avatar is KILLING me. That looks like Bob Ross, the guy that painted scenery on PBS back in the early 80's like NOBODYS BUSINESS. Not to mention he used knives to do the painting. I'm gonna sound stupid if that's not him though...

Semper Fi 1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2008, 03:16 AM   #5
aquacare
Registered Member

If you do something with calcium and alkalinity, please check your magnesium before. If Mg is far below 1350 mg/l you will never raise calcium.

aquacare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

That's hilarious Semper Fi

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Patis46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Semper Fi 1959
I apologize for not having anything pertinent to the topic to add, as it has all been said already...but came in to read the thread because I am about to setup both a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor.

The reason I'm commenting is that poppin_fresh's avatar is KILLING me. That looks like Bob Ross, the guy that painted scenery on PBS back in the early 80's like NOBODYS BUSINESS. Not to mention he used knives to do the painting. I'm gonna sound stupid if that's not him though...

YaKnow i though the exact same thing when i seen it here on this happy little forum.
Pat

Current Tank Info: 55G with nothing but SW in it;) 20G sump, skimmer, 6X54 T5-HO 48in light
Patis46 is offline   Reply With Quote