Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2008, 01:47 AM   #1
TheApprentice
Registered Member

sea horses?

Hey, I have heard that sea horses are a little bit hard to keep. I was going to start a 14 gallon reef only and put in one or two sea horses. What do you guys think? I know I can keep the water quality great with it being reef only.

What do I need to know about sea horses? I will get a tank raised one so that it will eat forzen foods.

any advice??

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon, 12gallon Aquapod reef only, 5.5 gallon DIY pico (reef)
TheApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2008, 01:54 AM   #2
NanoGurl
Moved On

Sea Horses are very difficult to keep... if only bc they require certain things. The only size SH that will live in your size tanks are Dwarf Sea Horses.. and from what I have read are harder to care for then others such as reidi.

SH must be fed several times a day.. they cannot go days without food. Forget about going away on vacation without someone to feed them. They also need cool water to surive long term. A chiller is probably a must unless you can keep your water temps in the mid 70s at the highest.

It can be done, especially with CB horses. But the effort required is much harder then expected.

I would highly suggest hanging out in the SH forum here on RC for awhile and learing everything you can since you are just a beginner with them. There are some very informative people on there that can help you.

GL

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2008, 03:06 AM   #3
TheApprentice
Registered Member

cool, thanks for the info. my girlfriend really really wants one. but I am the one caring for them. haha.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon, 12gallon Aquapod reef only, 5.5 gallon DIY pico (reef)
TheApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2008, 09:56 PM   #4
ReidiLoverLinds
Registered Member

Seahorses are not reef animals. Keeping a pair in a tank that small is a recipe for disaster. They are best kept in a species only tank that is at least 29gal or more

ReidiLoverLinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Saltwater_Dog
Registered Member

Dont know how hard they are supposed to be but I kept 3 in a 29 gallon tank for nearly 3 years. Caught them myself in the gulf and bay that surrounds the island I live on.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal, 160 lbs Live Rock, 120 lbs Live Sand, Octopus HOB Skimmer, PC Lighting, 2-Koralia 3's, 2-Max Jett 900's, Filter Guys Ocean Wave + RO/DI 75gpd
Saltwater_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2008, 05:14 PM   #6
SWaquariast
Registered Member

If you get sea horses get a 30g and put in tank bred sea horses like the ones of of liveaquaria.com they are all ready eating brine shrimp.

Here is the link
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...77&pcatid=2277

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...79&pcatid=2179

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...atid=2419These ones are supposed to be in a 50g but I know people who put them in a 30g do just fine.

These are easy to take care of because they are all ready feeding off of frozen foods.

Current Tank Info: 20g Mixed reef aquarium.
SWaquariast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2008, 05:17 PM   #7
SWaquariast
Registered Member

The sea horse links that I gave you aren't supposed to live in a reef and also they are suppossed to be in sea horse only aquariums.

Current Tank Info: 20g Mixed reef aquarium.
SWaquariast is offline   Reply With Quote