Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Eug40
Registered Member

JBJ 24g circulation/filtration questions

I have a JBJ MT-50 24g that has been running for a few months now. Lots of diatom and algae growth on the dead coral pieces I use for rocks, on the walls and glass and even the shells of the snails lol. I am not too concerned with this as much as I am with the construction or rather the mechanics of the tank itself. Was hoping anyone with experience with these units can help me, as JBJ customer service is the absolute worst. Like they can't be bothered to help...

There are three chambers in the back, the water from the tank spills into the top of the first section on the left, which has a small hole halfway down the first divider allowing water to run into the second chamber, which has a slit at the top of the second divider which allows water to enter the last chamber with the return pump at the bottom. These are my observations, and from what I see, it really seems like there isn't much flow going on back there from the first entry point, to the return pump. I hung a bag of with some carbon in the first chamber, which also has a sponge floating around in there, the second chamber has chaeto. Shouldn't the opening for water be at the bottom of the first divider to let the water pass down through all of whatever media I have in there and back up through the chaeto? Also regarding the little flow I am seeing, I have a lot of chaeto packed in the bottom half, could that be the cause of the little flow I am seeing? Any suggestions, questions, or setup ideas for these chambers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eug40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 11:34 AM   #2
dtapke
Registered Member

I’ve got an old jbj24, I’ve added the skim plate to the intake, foam filter with carbon filter in the first chamber, second chamber of mine has a tunze 9001 and a sheet of plexiglass that covers the stupid slot to get a higher water level before dumping into the third chamber which houses my pump, heater, and top off system. I can send a pic when I get home.

Not sure if the newer jbj’s have the same setup or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Eug40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtapke View Post
I’ve got an old jbj24, I’ve added the skim plate to the intake, foam filter with carbon filter in the first chamber, second chamber of mine has a tunze 9001 and a sheet of plexiglass that covers the stupid slot to get a higher water level before dumping into the third chamber which houses my pump, heater, and top off system. I can send a pic when I get home.

Not sure if the newer jbj’s have the same setup or not.

Nah ths is an old one, I bought a while back. Ive looked at youtube videos, but I just dont get the flow dynamics, nor what to really put back there, if anything at all. Thanks, any help, much appreciated.

Unread 10/09/2018, 11:41 AM   #4
dtapke
Registered Member

The design back there seems to be complete garbage. I can’t even count how many times I’ve though of ripping it all out and drilling it for a bean overflow.

Unread 10/10/2018, 08:04 AM   #5
dtapke
Registered Member

Skim plate, and the back there. I don’t run a refugium though. The little silicone tube holds the tubing in place to the outlet. I use a hydor rotating head on the outlet of a 290gph pump and a mp10 in the tank on low. Works pretty nice I think.

Unread 10/11/2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Eug40
Registered Member

[QUOTE=dtapke;25507127]Skim plate, and the back there. I don’t run a refugium though. The little silicone tube holds the tubing in place to the outlet. I use a hydor rotating head on the outlet of a 290gph pump and a mp10 in the tank on low. Works pretty nice I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Where do you find one of those skim plates? So you run the rotating head on the pump in the third chamber? They make heads that small to fit in there? When you look at the chambers from the top, can you see water moving around? Mine looks pretty stagnant, even though the pump is shooting out water into the tank pretty strong.. I'm really worried that there isn't the correct water circulation from tank through the three chambers. And can you tell me how you place your media in the first chamber? Media basket? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a correct visualization of how a functioning unit looks back there.. Really appreciate the feedback.

Unread 10/12/2018, 05:00 AM   #7
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

I intentionally grow hair algae in the center chamber and upgraded the return pump to achieve the amount of flow moving through the chambers. I use a vertical mechanical filter in the third chamber just in front of the return pump, sometimes. I started with cheato in the center chamber (8w red LED on the outside directly on glass shining in) but cheato migrated into the tank so I promoted the hair algae growth that I harvest with 12” tongs by just grabbing big clumps. I have used algae scrubbers for years and I think this functions like a hybrid refugium/scrubber. Works for me.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 07:49 AM   #8
dtapke
Registered Member

skim plate can be bought on amazon, or straight from jbj. you could also make one if you've got any plexi and weldon hanging around pretty easily.

the rotating head is in the tank. the powerhead is setup just like original, except a slightly better pump (the marineland 1200 pro). the flow in the sump section seems just fine to me. but i also have some added flow in there from the skimmer.

Unread 10/12/2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Eug40
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Crusinjimbo;25507976]I intentionally grow hair algae in the center chamber and upgraded the return pump to achieve the amount of flow moving through the chambers. I use a vertical mechanical filter in the third chamber just in front of the return pump, sometimes. I started with cheato in the center chamber (8w red LED on the outside directly on glass shining in) but cheato migrated into the tank so I promoted the hair algae growth that I harvest with 12” tongs by just grabbing big clumps. I have used algae scrubbers for years and I think this functions like a hybrid refugium/scrubber. Works for me.[/QUOTE

When I got the unit, water was just trickling in on the return, so I swapped out pumps and got a much stronger output. Just seems from looking at surface in the chambers, that there isnt much water moovement going on. Someone mentioned that there is, and the surface just looks stagnant, but I dunno. Is this the case with you? or do you see movement across the chambers through your algae and filters. And is your first chamber empty? Thanks

Unread 10/13/2018, 04:10 AM   #10
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

My surface water is relatively calm as well but the passage between the 2nd/3rd chamber are low in the chamber this making for low surface agitation. My guess and I’m sticking with it. I harvested 48g of green hair algae yesterday.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Respen
Registered Member

I use an in tank media basket in chamber one. Top layer is filter floss, second layer is chemi pure elite, and on the bottom sachem purigen.

Second chamber houses an in tank media basket. Placed along the right baffle I keep the water level just below that baffle. Third chamber is my return and heater.

You will need the 4 dollar surface skimmer to use a protein skimmer in the back. I suggest securing it wit a rubber band or hair tie.

Works great for me! Be sure to use the 9001 exactly as shipped or those micro bubbles wont be going anywhere.

I'm writing from my phone, let me know if you would like pics or a video.

Respen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Respen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respen View Post
I use an in tank media basket in chamber one. Top layer is filter floss, second layer is chemi pure elite, and on the bottom sachem purigen.

Second chamber houses an in tank media basket. Placed along the right baffle I keep the water level just below that baffle. Third chamber is my return and heater.

You will need the 4 dollar surface skimmer to use a protein skimmer in the back. I suggest securing it wit a rubber band or hair tie.

Works great for me! Be sure to use the 9001 exactly as shipped or those micro bubbles wont be going anywhere.

I'm writing from my phone, let me know if you would like pics or a video.
Wish I could edit this lol. I only use one in tank media basket in chamber one, in chamber two I use the tunze 9001. For flow I bought a replacement stock return for 30 bucks, and a hydor pump for 40 off of amazon. I use the original canopy... and it makes an annoying noise as the fans turn on every single time... but it does the job lol.

Respen is offline   Reply With Quote