Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2018, 11:33 PM   #1
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

large scale pod culture

Has anyone tried raising pods in bulk? Say 35or55 gallon containers?

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 05:14 PM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

I haven't done it. I did do some tisbe's in 20 gallon. I've read many who raise copepods specifically tisbe's and Apocyclops outside in larger containers.

Are you planning it outside or inside? Do you live in an area where outside is a possibility?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:49 PM   #3
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

I don't know if outdoors would work. Summer temps might be to rough on them.. How much could you harvest from your 20 gallon?

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:19 PM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

problem was I was in a build up phase when I needed to use it to host some gobies for a quarantine tank which they ate up the copepods.

during the build up phase I was taking a couple hundred copepods a day but it hadn't reached full capacity and I had tisbe's in there. They breed faster than other I think. Tiggers take alot longer. I feel like once it was up and running it would have produce quite a few. I've read most copepods reproduce better at lower densities or frequent water changes as there is a hormone or pheremone that slows down production of females or eggs.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Anna LR
Registered Member

I haven't tried raising pods in bulk. They need some clean conditions, and cleaning big containers is not my favorite thing. I've raised all the pods I need in gallon plastic PETE jars, and that works for me.
Once upon a time, I raised tigriopus outdoors in a 17 gallon tub. I set it up with saltwater in the spring on a shaded patio, with bird netting over it, seeded it with tiggers and Isochrysis and left it to the force of nature. Tons of stuff fell into it, it rained, it survived no rain without top offs, and consistently produced tons of tiggers. It teemed with tiggers. No maintenance. Lovely.

In a separate time, I learned the hard way that contamination with tisbe of any culture will lead to the survival of the fittest. Tisbe wins every time. They eat other copepods or rotifers.

Anna LR is offline   Reply With Quote