Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:17 AM   #1
sunsraps
Registered Member

Best LED Light

Which is the best LED light available in the market . Is it Hydra, Orphek, Kessil or Radion G4. which one is you pickup and why.

Current Tank Info: 130 Gallon
sunsraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:30 AM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

Orphek wins for the widest spectrum and coverage/watt per dollar but would likely have the most problem with color shadow banding (Disco) (No personal experience, just based on layout)

Kessil has the best shimmer and perfect blending and you can get 2-3 360's for the price of most others. Lacking a little on the warm end of the spectrum, I wish they put a couple warm white LEDs on the white channel rather than just cool.

Another to look at is GHL mitras, they cover from true UV to deep red and get rave reviews from just about everyone that has seen them in action. Should blend almost as well as kessil because of the 6 even tight clusters of LED. This is where I would go if I went for high dollar LED's. My second choice would be Kessil with T-5 to fill the spectrum and cut down on shadow and shimmer a little.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Right Now, my vote goes to the Mitras LX 7.

Unread 02/22/2018, 01:05 PM   #4
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Right Now, my vote goes to the Mitras LX 7.
+1 I love my LX7s.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:17 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Philips Coral Care might get my vote for best..
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/coralcare

Its surely not Hydra or Kessil or Radion IMO.. They are good but I wouldn't call any of them "best"..
But best is all relative so the question as posted is 100% opinion based..

Unread 02/22/2018, 02:08 PM   #6
HBtank
Premium Member

I think they all need to cook another generation, I am waiting before going all-in on high end LED lighting. Stuff like Wifi is not sorted out or standard on some high end models and seems like coverage still needs refinement. Thinking of just getting a auqahelios from reef-breeders to hold me over, even looking at just a T5 fixture.

That Phillips light looks interesting, first time seeing it!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 02:18 PM   #7
ArmanS
Registered Member

I have Orpheks, 6 of them and really like the colors and coverage and my tank is 30" deep as well. The app is lacking though, it works, just not as polished as other companies.

Unread 02/22/2018, 02:20 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think most people just pick whatever they have Best is subjective ....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:06 PM   #9
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I have Orpheks, 6 of them and really like the colors and coverage and my tank is 30" deep as well. The app is lacking though, it works, just not as polished as other companies.
Arman,

I am looking at Orphek for a few month now but my tank 36" front to back . Unit is about 22" long so if i mount them this way I I I I I I I i am afraid iwll have shadowing all around the tank by the the edge. My tank 99% SPS..
Your thoughts?

Mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:09 PM   #10
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHUR View Post
Arman,

I am looking at Orphek for a few month now but my tank 36" front to back . Unit is about 22" long so if i mount them this way I I I I I I I i am afraid iwll have shadowing all around the tank by the the edge. My tank 99% SPS..
Your thoughts?

Mike
My tank is 120" x 36" x 30". I have 6 units mounted in the way that you are asking. I do not have any issues with shadowing and the lights have fantastic coverage.

Unread 02/22/2018, 03:15 PM   #11
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Thank you..

Any disco effect ? Some people report this as an issue..

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:31 PM   #12
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I think most people just pick whatever they have Best is subjective ....

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:45 PM   #13
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHUR View Post
Thank you..

Any disco effect ? Some people report this as an issue..
I've had Radion's before and for me the disco effect on these is not a big issue, they look fine to me.

Unread 02/22/2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

Heard nothing but good things from Orphek. I personally have the radion G4 and am very happy

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 05:56 PM   #15
ReefJaws
Registered Member

Kessil / T5 combo.
-or-
Kessil / diffused LED strip combo

I challenge anyone to offer an alternative with better appearance, controllability, and spectrum.

ReefJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 06:06 PM   #16
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefJaws View Post
Kessil / T5 combo.
-or-
Kessil / diffused LED strip combo

I challenge anyone to offer an alternative with better appearance, controllability, and spectrum.
I have 4 Hydra52 and a AquaticLife T5HO 61" fixture. Love it and exactly what I needed for my aquarium. Now to see how much growth I will get. I think almost any current LED offering coupled with T5 is the way to go. No heat issues, full spectrum and flexibility of the LED color temperature. What more can you ask for?

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:34 PM   #17
RCS82
Registered Member

There are many top LED choices. Orpheks, Radion G4s, Mitras LX7, Kessils, and AIs would be at the top of my list in no real order. If I were to change up my lighting tomorrow I would be leaning towards a group of G4 Radion xr15 pros, but I really like the layout of the mitras too lol.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha

Last edited by RCS82; 02/22/2018 at 08:39 PM.
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 01:31 AM   #18
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Orphek wins for the widest spectrum and coverage/watt per dollar but would likely have the most problem with color shadow banding (Disco) (No personal experience, just based on layout)
I've seen them recently on two occasions and there is zero disco. The shimmer is moderate, less than a kessil.

I don't know how the achieve the blending, but it must have something to do with the acrylic shield they use. Take a look at a closeup of the light. It looks like they are actually using the acrylic both as a shield and a lens.

Unread 02/23/2018, 05:45 PM   #19
BClute
Registered Member

When ones is shopping for LeDs what specs do you look at? I run LEDs currently but I still am ignorant to what makes a LED system acceptable or above standards as far as reef tanks go. I got out of reefing for a while and when I took my exit it was all VHOs and MHs and I understood what specs to look for that constituted a good setup , but LEDs are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 09:27 PM   #20
RCS82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
When ones is shopping for LeDs what specs do you look at? I run LEDs currently but I still am ignorant to what makes a LED system acceptable or above standards as far as reef tanks go. I got out of reefing for a while and when I took my exit it was all VHOs and MHs and I understood what specs to look for that constituted a good setup , but LEDs are a different story.

What constitutes a good setup ?

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:30 AM   #21
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS82 View Post
Exactly..

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:44 PM   #22
nycman
Registered Member

I bought Mitras LX7s when I started my 180G last summer. Couldn't be happier with them. I love the programming and spectrum options. And they are very bright. No disco effect unless you program a low spectrum like an orange sunrise/sunset. Decent shimmering.

I also got LX7 for my freshwater planted tank. The bulbs are different - leaning towards lower spectrum, warmer light. The tanks are next to each other and the contrast is dramatic. One is a bright yellow white, and the other blue white. 6000K versus 20000K. Since the fresh tank likes the warmer light spectrum, I program a very warm sunrise sunset for a longer period of time. Tank starts at a dim 3500K, and then increments towards a brighter 6000K and reverse at sunset. Nice shimmering and no disco with this lamp, even at the warmer spectrums.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (79.6 KB, 40 views)
Aqua UV 28W

Last edited by nycman; 02/24/2018 at 10:54 PM.
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:51 PM   #23
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS82 View Post

Um That's exactly what I'm asking.. if your asking me what constitutes a good setup as far as MH and VHOs for some reason (the only reason I can come up with is as a back handed question) I'm not going to digress and talk about Metal Halides and VHOs . I.e what companies were considered superior, what temperature/kelvin, DE or SE bulbs, mag vs other ballasts, acceptable par readings etc as that makes no difference as far as my question pertaining to LEDs.

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 02:20 AM   #24
saltfishguy18
Registered Member

I just purchased orphek v4 compacts. Two of them over my 90. So far they are awesome. I will agree with the other guy that said the app isn’t polished yet. It works. Just not super user friendly

saltfishguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 04:09 AM   #25
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Radion G4 pro because it has the best proven results coloring SPS. I've used this these lights and I'm impressed. Only drawback is the price. They need to get the cost down so covering a large tank isn't the cost of a compact car. With that said, I am back to enjoying my 400w radium . That truly is the best lighting but it's not LED

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote