Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2018, 10:11 AM   #1
BaleKlocoon
Registered Member

QuietOne 4000

Maybe they were trying to be ironic with the name, but has anyone else ever experienced how loud this pump is? It isn't vibrating against anything in my sump, it's just the sound of the motor. A constant humming. I'm a noob to the hobby and wondering are all the pumps this loud?

BaleKlocoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 05:38 PM   #2
reeftivo
Skim junkie

had one many moons ago and it was also loud. It turned out to be a decent water change pump. There are many choices for quiet pumps that are both reliable and work well with head pressure. Sicce, eheim are some really good ones that come to mind. Even the mag pumps are less noisy than the not so quiet ones. Sicce and eheims can be a bit pricy but not too bad when you consider how much some of the high end control pumps can cost like red dragon & abyss. What size system do you have?

I run a jecod DCT6000 on a 60 gal cube and it's the least noisy (barely audible) I've had on my system. I do, however, have back ups just in case. The jecods are overall good pumps but have clunkers on occasion.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 06:06 PM   #3
gonereefing654
Registered Member

I had one on my site next station happened but it was also ridiculously loud. The name has got to be ironic.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 12:57 PM   #4
BaleKlocoon
Registered Member

reeftivo,

I have a 90 gallon DT with a 20 gallon pump. About 4ft of vertical rise from my pump to the return jet. With this, the 3 90's, 2 45's, and a ball valve I calculated that my QuietOne 4000 can run 600 to 700 GPH through my tank/sump. I read in some threads that you don't need more than 400GPH through your sump so I have it turned down a bit.

Thanks for the response.

BaleKlocoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:29 PM   #5
reeftivo
Skim junkie

as long as you can turn over around 4 times your system volume an hour you should be fine. many run in the 3 to 5 x's turnover rate. If you think you're around 4 then i wouldn't worry ;-)

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote