Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:45 AM   #1
ryanpal
Registered Member

PH too high even after water change - can't get under control

hey guys, i've been having high ph problems for the past week. during the day i can't seem to get it below 8.5. about a month ago i moved the tank from another location. i know this has possibly causes a mini cycle in the tank but i'm not sure why the ph can't get to acceptable levels.

here are the details of my setup:

75 gal mixed reef with 30 gal sump
running brs 2 part for alk and calcium
neptune apex with ph probe

earlier this week we did a 25 gal water change to see if the ph would drop and it didn't seem to have any affect. i just did another 7 gal water change and it seemed to increase the ph .3

i also tried dosing with vinegar early this week but the swing was too drastic. i also tried aiming the return pumps upward to aerate the water more but this didnt seem to have any affect either.

any suggestions of how i can get the ph under control?

ryanpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:47 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Is the tank having problems like precipitation of Ca and alk? Problems with livestock?

If not, I would just not worry about it.

How are you measuring pH?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:49 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

8.5 is okay. Although it is on the top end of the scale, it's fine to leave it there. What is your Alk level?

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:56 AM   #4
frey
Registered Member

Airation will increase PH. Is your PH probe calibrated correctly or is it in an area with alot of bubbles say next to the skimmer? Take a day off from the 2 part and/or reduce the amount you are dosing. If non of the corals or fish are showing stress I would say what most of the more advanced guys I have read say. Stop worrying about PH. If your calc and alk are good and stable and your mag is appropriate none of your tank life is showing stress leave it alone. 8.5 is not that much higher than the 8.2 which would be ideal and I would think it is better than being below say 7.5 and unable to raise.

frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:27 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Stop looking at PH... Problem solved

Unread 02/22/2018, 12:10 PM   #6
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpal View Post
earlier this week we did a 25 gal water change to see if the ph would drop and it didn't seem to have any affect. i just did another 7 gal water change and it seemed to increase the ph .3

Did you check the pH of the new water before you added it? If the new water has a high pH as well then all the water changes in the world won’t make a difference.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 12:43 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

What are you using for the alk part? If you’re using soda ash, that will raise pH levels. I’d switch to baking soda.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You must have a big coral load if your dosing any 2 part.
Corals use the Alk faster than calcium, have you measured the weekly use of Alk by corals and factored that into the dosing?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Bent
I got nothin'

Backup.

Your alk has to be sky high for the pH to also be.

What is your alk? If It isn’t 12 or more, the pH test is suspect.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:38 PM   #10
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

Don't go chasing potential Hydrogen....(in my best singing voice)

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFace Fish View Post
Don't go chasing potential Hydrogen....(in my best singing voice)
Bwahahaha

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 05:58 PM   #12
HBtank
Premium Member

Do not try to control pH, control alk.

Regardless, my first concern would be verifying the results and calibrating the pH probe.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:18 PM   #13
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Is the tank having problems like precipitation of Ca and alk? Problems with livestock?

If not, I would just not worry about it.

How are you measuring pH?
a few days ago i tested alk and it was extremely low: 3.7 and calcium was 350. i didnt understand why it was so low and i found out it was because the coding for the apex is set to stop dosing alk if ph raised above 8.4. i decided to raise the threshold to 8.5 so i could raise alk but the ph rose with it as well.

i'm measuring ph with the apex probe

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:24 PM   #14
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
8.5 is okay. Although it is on the top end of the scale, it's fine to leave it there. What is your Alk level?
current alk is at 5.7

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:28 PM   #15
BrettDS
Registered Member

Alkalinity that low and pH that high should be mutually exclusive. I suspect that you are getting a bad reading somewhere. Either your alkalinity is higher than you think it is or your pH is lower than you think it is. I would suggest getting a pH test kit and a second alkalinity test kit to check your numbers because I don’t think the numbers you are seeing are right.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:30 PM   #16
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey View Post
Airation will increase PH. Is your PH probe calibrated correctly or is it in an area with alot of bubbles say next to the skimmer? Take a day off from the 2 part and/or reduce the amount you are dosing. If non of the corals or fish are showing stress I would say what most of the more advanced guys I have read say. Stop worrying about PH. If your calc and alk are good and stable and your mag is appropriate none of your tank life is showing stress leave it alone. 8.5 is not that much higher than the 8.2 which would be ideal and I would think it is better than being below say 7.5 and unable to raise.
most of the corals and fish look ok. the probe is on the other side of the skimmer without any bubbles. id say most corals and fish look ok but the duncans and a few others look a little stressed. about 95% of the tank looks good.

i would turn off the dosing but the alk will drop even further. is that still a good option?

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:31 PM   #17
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
Did you check the pH of the new water before you added it? If the new water has a high pH as well then all the water changes in the world won’t make a difference.
i tested the ro/di water to see if it was suspect. it was a lot lower. i did not check the ph of the water used during the WC.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:34 PM   #18
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
What are you using for the alk part? If you’re using soda ash, that will raise pH levels. I’d switch to baking soda.
im using soda ash from BRS

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:34 PM   #19
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
i tested the ro/di water to see if it was suspect. it was a lot lower. i did not check the ph of the water used during the WC.

Trying to pH test RODI water will give you a bad reading because there are no ions in the water and it throws off the meter. The better test would be the newly mixed salt water before you add it to the tank.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:35 PM   #20
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
You must have a big coral load if your dosing any 2 part.
Corals use the Alk faster than calcium, have you measured the weekly use of Alk by corals and factored that into the dosing?
i did measure almost daily to get the adequate dosing each day. after the move i didnt test until recently since i noticed the high ph.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:37 PM   #21
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Do not try to control pH, control alk.

Regardless, my first concern would be verifying the results and calibrating the pH probe.
i have not calibrated the probe since i purchased the apex. i hope one of my LFS's have ph calibration solution. i'll have to get this tomorrow.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:38 PM   #22
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
Trying to pH test RODI water will give you a bad reading because there are no ions in the water and it throws off the meter. The better test would be the newly mixed salt water before you add it to the tank.
thank you for all the replies. i'll be sure to test the new batch of water that i make.

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:10 PM   #23
ryanpal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
this seems like a viable option until i can make sure the ph probe is calibrated correctly. the reef calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) determined that in order to raise from 5.7 to 8.5 i would need to use "28.6 grams, approx 6 tsp, or 1 oz" in baking soda. i understand i should only raise it by 1.5dkh a day maximum so i figured i would split this up into two days.

i'm not sure how much ro/di i should use and how to figure out what i should set the dosing too. i use this apex program generator for the for dosing: https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

anyone have any feedback as to how i would set this up?

Unread 02/23/2018, 12:58 AM   #24
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey View Post
Actually, during the winter months, aeration will often lower pH levels, due to increased carbon dioxide in the indoor air. But I agree, don't worry about a specific pH number unless your tank is having problems.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 09:16 AM   #25
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
i have not calibrated the probe since i purchased the apex. i hope one of my LFS's have ph calibration solution. i'll have to get this tomorrow.
Make sure it is clean as well. Also in generally make sure you verify with a pH test kit periodically to help identify when recalibration is needed.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote