Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2016, 09:36 PM   #226
pszemol
Registered Member

Have anybody seen cerith snails (sand diggers/algae eaters) in local stores anywhere?

pszemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 09:40 PM   #227
MidwesternTexan
Average Joe

Yes, Best Fish usually has them, Milwaukee, WI.

Do you have your own website?

40B FT- ~320gallon system total
DIY Large ATS

Current Tank Info: 180g- C2C overflow- 125g sumpk 40B FT; Lots of Coral- mostly sps
MidwesternTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 10:05 PM   #228
MidwesternTexan
Average Joe

Hey Chi town ians,

Our club, the Wiscon Reef Society, www.wireefsociety.com,
takes a tour bus every March to many of the stores mentioned in this thread.,

For those of you around Chicago, on the average day, if you want some on the BEST costomer service, go to:
Best Fish, in Milwaukee WI!!!, you'll be glad you did. The money you'll save will probably more pay for the gass you'll spend than save on on your purchases.

40B FT- ~320gallon system total
DIY Large ATS

Current Tank Info: 180g- C2C overflow- 125g sumpk 40B FT; Lots of Coral- mostly sps
MidwesternTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 01:02 PM   #229
92reefer
Registered Member

Good livestock store near Algonquin area?

I'm in the Algonquin area looking for a good store to buy SW fish, not so much corals etc.

The 3 LFS stores here are very pricey. I had been making rather infrequent trips to Xzotic Aquatics in Bensenville (rather lengthy drive from Crystal Lake/Algonquin) but they've closed shop in December '15.

Any other relatively close stores that have decent/cheap prices on common SW fish?

92reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 08:08 PM   #230
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92reefer View Post
I'm in the Algonquin area looking for a good store to buy SW fish, not so much corals etc.

The 3 LFS stores here are very pricey. I had been making rather infrequent trips to Xzotic Aquatics in Bensenville (rather lengthy drive from Crystal Lake/Algonquin) but they've closed shop in December '15.

Any other relatively close stores that have decent/cheap prices on common SW fish?
Reefwise is a 45 minute drive from the area. Take the Elgin Ohare and let your GPS find the way. Google wants you to take 90 to 290 which is a dumb way to get there.

Xzotic is going to open soon in Niles.

kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2016, 01:04 PM   #231
kennytze
Registered Member

Aquatica in Tinley Park, IL

kennytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 03:34 PM   #232
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:

Ocean Blue Aquatics in Elgin has been good to me so far. They have a decent amount of fish and they are about 25 minutes from Algonquin.

Unread 01/13/2017, 08:03 AM   #233
reef freek
Registered Member.

i would deff. check out something fishy in fox lake. never had a problem with there live stock ever. owner is Ron. also Pet Co. on Randal, lake Geneva, and lake Zurich has some pretty good stock. And then there is allways Birds n Beasts. in CL. Pet Central in McHenry is in the pocess of moving to green st. dont know when they will be up and running

reef freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 08:59 AM   #234
brandonnissen1
Registered Member

Quote:

I would recommend Ocean Blue Aquatics in Elgin. They have a ton of great fish that aren't very pricey.

Address: 297 S Aldine Ave, Elgin, IL 60123

brandonnissen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 07:13 PM   #235
kendrid
Registered Member

I was just in Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman Estates and like always the fish were not in good shape but one interesting thing is they now sell Planet Aquariums tanks. Those are pretty "high end" and surprising in a store like that.

Unread 02/25/2017, 09:22 PM   #236
Kevy792
Registered Member

hey guys don't use this very often but I have also been out of the hobby for awhile. I had a tank crash hard and it kinda set me way off course. Anyway the closest store to me was Coral Reef. Their selection coral wise is terrible, but they had an employee named Wojtek who always treated everyone right and I found out recently he has his own business and sells corals at crazy good prices with one of the nicest selections ive seen. He is definitely worth checking out. You can reach him at his site http://www.wojteksreef.net/ Not sure if links work here or not but its Wojteks reef dot net.

Kevy792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 06:33 PM   #237
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy792 View Post
hey guys don't use this very often but I have also been out of the hobby for awhile. I had a tank crash hard and it kinda set me way off course. Anyway the closest store to me was Coral Reef. Their selection coral wise is terrible, but they had an employee named Wojtek who always treated everyone right and I found out recently he has his own business and sells corals at crazy good prices with one of the nicest selections ive seen. He is definitely worth checking out. You can reach him at his site http://www.wojteksreef.net/ Not sure if links work here or not but its Wojteks reef dot net.
Wojtek's basement setup and prices are great. Super nice guy also.

Unread 03/11/2017, 06:27 PM   #238
danielp
Registered Member

I just got back from "Tank it Easy".
They have a great deal, every time you spend at least 20usd you will get up to 10 gallons of their RO/DI water for free. Love their staff, love their corals, definitely worth checking out.
2 weeks ago I scored McCosker's Wrasse, this week some Butterflyfish.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 02:47 PM   #239
Poppy828
Registered Member

Sea Escapes - South Elgin

Poppy828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 10:57 AM   #240
Esh1
Registered Member

Reef Plus in N Aurora is a pretty decent place. The owner's very knowledgable, well kept store, and they have a decent selection of fish, coral, and equipment.

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 10:58 PM   #241
Esh1
Registered Member

Stopped by Reefwise this past weekend in Lisle. Really cool store. Its setup more like a warehouse with a couple of huge frag tanks with a pretty big selection and greatprices. once my tank is ready to go I'll be headed back to stock up on frags. It seemed like they had redone half of their holding tanks as their fish stock was low but the new tank setups looked awesome.

Another shop, Aqua Pro's, is about 6 miles north of Reef wise in Glen Ellyn and worth the trip if you are already at this shop. The shop appears like they have 2 parts to it, one on the street that I don't know if is open to the public, and the store itself is located in a smaller building directly behind that one. This store was smaller, but had a lot of supplies that many stores I've gone to didn't seem to carry. Worth checking out and had decent prices on things as well.

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 06:41 PM   #242
danielp
Registered Member

Copy of my post from another forum.
Wojtek's Reef
Went to to Wojtek's on thursday, holly cow his selection of acans, great favias, Euphyllias, zoas, chalices...
Damn I wish I had a bigger tank
Well worth the travel and visit.
And on top of everything Wojtek is just no nonsense guys, great to talk to, picked his brain up about reef stuff, answered a lot of questions.
Will definitely be back.
One mistake-I didnt take any pics, but he uploads enough on fb so all is good (I hope ).

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
Unread 07/22/2020, 03:00 PM   #243
Dag
Premium Member

How do I get in touch with Wojtek?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon reef tank
Dag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2020, 06:34 AM   #244
danielp
Registered Member

Facebook "Wojtek's Reef"