Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Roche1995
Registered Member

Issues

I recently acquired a saltwater aquarium from a friend. He had it for 15 years. 25 gal tank I believe. When I was setting it up I set up the canister filter the wrong way so it didn’t receive the proper treatment for a few days. Lights didn’t work for a day or two after I got them. Everything is fine now except for the tank itself. Rotten egg smell, which I know is Hydrogen Sulfide. Got some snails and crabs but they haven’t moved. Haven’t even seen the crabs. All the coral in there is dead. Should I take the coral out? I’ve been doing water changes and it’s helping the tank clear up. The temp is right around 76 degrees and the salinity is 1.024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roche1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2019, 04:01 PM   #2
becon776
Registered Member

first welcome to the hobby! next the more details you can give us the better ex: type of light flourescent or a bulb or LED. what kind of filter? you said canister filter so i assume you are sumpless. Also i am assuming you are operating with old tech. nothing wrong with that i have setup beautiful tanks with old tech.

my immediate advice to you: give yourself a month. you are going to have a pretty good cycle. every week do a 50% water change. if things smell toss them. bring water sample in a clean rinsed container to a local shop to he test at 2 and 4 weeks. at this point DO NOT run lights for any extended period till your cycle is done.

p.s. pictures of tank and equipment help IMMENSELY!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2019, 04:02 PM   #3
becon776
Registered Member

also shoot for 1.025 salinity

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote