Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2020, 08:32 PM   #1
kluivertfan2
Registered Member

Plumbing through heating vents

I'm looking at purchasing a house with a basement, and If I do, I think I'll put a large sump in the basement. Rather than drilling through the flooring, is it reasonable to route plumbing through heating vents? Part of me thinks that any increase in heat will be offset by having the sump in a cool basement, but I'm not really sure. I'm in Southern Michigan, if that makes a difference. If this isnt possible, are there any other ways to have a sump in the basement without drilling through the flooring?

kluivertfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You have to get to the space below somehow & the floor is the easiest.
A friend did just that, used a heating sized hole in the floor. HOWEVER, there is nothing else used in that space. He found it easier to run multiple hoses through the opening rather than a circular hole.
I would think it's possible but troublesome.

Unread 11/25/2020, 03:35 PM   #3
Heart of Dixie
Registered Member

I did exactly that. There was a flexible line to the vent off the main header in the basement. I disconnected the flex and capped it off. I then purchased a plastic vent from Home Depot and used hole saws to cut a 3/4 & 1" hole in the vent, then ran the flex PVC line thru to the tank. There are three other vents in the room and we don't notice a difference in the heat or AC.

Heart of Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2020, 06:30 PM   #4
rezaktp
Registered Member

Just drill the holes you need close together, then if you tear down the reef, you can cut a rectangular hole and just put in a grill as if there was ductwork behind it. Just buy the grill as soon as you can so it will match the rest in the room, and just wrap it up and put is in the stand. Then when you tear the tank down or move you have a easy fix to the hole in the floor / carpeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 180g. Reef w/8-80w t-5's, 70g. Rubbermaid basement sump w/10g. fuge, APEX, Reef Octopus SRO 2000 Skimmer, 1/3hp Aqualogic chiller, 57w Aqua Ultraviolet UV, BRS 2-part w/2-Drews Dosers, 4-MP40wES
rezaktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2020, 10:13 PM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Another option is to cut open the wall drywall & drill thu the 2X4 wall floor plate to the basement, this way no harm is done to the floor and is easy to repair if removed, its 10 times easier to repair drywall then a floor. I'm a contractor you can trust me on this one. Plus, nobody likes fake holes in the floor of a home they are contemplating purchasing.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Another option is to cut open the wall drywall & drill thu the 2X4 wall floor plate to the basement, this way no harm is done to the floor and is easy to repair if removed, its 10 times easier to repair drywall then a floor. I'm a contractor you can trust me on this one. Plus, nobody likes fake holes in the floor of a home they are contemplating purchasing.
That!!! ^^^^

Unread 11/26/2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

We run a quarter-inch topoff tube through the hvac grating to our freshwater tank. Fill the 5 gallon bucket in the basement, go upstairs, tell Alexa to turn on the topoff pump, and we sit and sip coffee instead of hauling water up by hand. Our saltwater rig is more techie, but the on-demand fill of the freshwater's evap works just fine.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote