Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2019, 10:11 PM   #1
reef_dude76
Premium Member

Dosing pump

Ok, need some opinions on a good dosing pump. I currently have a Kalk reactor that I would like to use to dose kalk for calcium and alkalinity. I do not have any type of fancy controller for my reef so I need something that I can program or comes programmed that will let you dose based on the number of mL's I need to replace and will replace that volume over the course of a few hours.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon Nano SPS/LPS mixed reef
reef_dude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 10:33 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I had a bunch of used MasterFlex pumps that were good, but they are pricey new. Any of the peristaltic pumps might be good enough. I'd start with BRS, personally, but all the various vendors get good and bad reviews.

Unread 01/11/2019, 11:02 AM   #3
marzvt
Registered Member

are you running a controller? if you maybe just a brs doser. outside of that bubble mangus are good.

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 02:37 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzvt View Post
are you running a controller? if you maybe just a brs doser. outside of that bubble mangus are good.
Did you read his post? And I quote from his post "I do not have any type of fancy controller for my reef"

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 02:44 PM   #5
marzvt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Did you read his post? And I quote from his post "I do not have any type of fancy controller for my reef"
Sorry, I missed the controller line. Though for the price of good programmable dosing pumps, you can buy a controller and simple ones and its a lot safer. Especially with Kalk monitoring ph is a good thing.

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 02:59 PM   #6
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Do you have an ATO? You could use it to add kalk if demand is not too high.

I've used an $80 BRS 50ml/minute doser on a Home Depot digital timer for kalk in the past. It worked just fine. I've also use a Litremeter III programmable dosing pump. It worked better but would have been a little pricier had I not found a good deal on a used one. I stiil have both but I don't use either right now, as a little Kalk in the ATO keep up with demand.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use the Jeboa with 4 dosing channels.
You can dose down to 1ml, controller on board, $100 bucks.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote