Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Orsamax
Registered Member

My first acro

Howdy,
I’ve got monti’s doing wonderfully, a maxima that survived (and is growing after) shipment during a snow storm in January, and now I’m trying my first acro. A little purple and green bonsai from aquashella Dallas. I’ve read and watched a ton of things before diving in. But YouTube doesn’t know it all. What advice would any of you give to your former selves about your first acro? Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Unread 03/30/2019, 09:19 PM   #2
ali1
Registered Member

Like most sps, the slightest swing in Alk ticks them off

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Orsamax
Registered Member

thanks!

Unread 04/01/2019, 05:51 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsamax View Post
What advice would any of you give to your former selves about your first acro
don't buy five pieces of cheap sps coral all at once.... instead, use the money to buy 1 piece of fantastic coral....they grow big eventually (years) and take up valuable realestate ….go slow and buy only great looking pieces....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Orsamax
Registered Member

Thank you outssider. I pretty much have my tank how I want it now, room for my things to grow. However, whenever I do get around to making my next purchase, it will be as you described, a fantastic coral, once I am sure that I know what I'm doing with these SPS I have. So far, so very good. But I'd hate to buy a very expensive coral at this point until I know that I know for sure what I'm doing. Everything I have right now is on the "hardy" side, which is good since it is a nano. I'll up my game for the next purchase.

Unread 04/03/2019, 11:42 AM   #6
houstonreefer
Registered Member

Since you dont have much room, i agree with outsider. Cherry pick the fantastic ones.

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 02:42 AM   #7
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Like most sps, the slightest swing in Alk ticks them off
How large (or slight) of a swing are we talking about? .1? .5 in a day? Like the OP, I'm new to acro's as well and I'm trying to keep my Alk as steady as possible.

Orsamax, sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but, I thought this could be helpful for you as well.

emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 07:39 AM   #8
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilese View Post
How large (or slight) of a swing are we talking about? .1? .5 in a day? Like the OP, I'm new to acro's as well and I'm trying to keep my Alk as steady as possible.

Orsamax, sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but, I thought this could be helpful for you as well.
No swing would be best. In fact, if you spread out your dosing throughout the day, that would keep parameters consistent. Regarding your question, I would say anything above .3 swing in a day is bad. They will tell you by their colors and polyp extension.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote