Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2019, 09:28 AM   #1
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Leaky kalk reactor.

So the kalk reactor I have had unused on a shelf for a few years, finally dusted it off and sure enough, it leaks form the bottom. Not just in a single place I can pinpoint either, it's a very VERY slow leak, over night with freshwater there was a couple small puddle that didn't go past the rim of the base (and yes I'm absolutely certain this wasn't spillage from filling it up).

I've tried to use a bead of weldon 16 on the inside, on the outside, heck the outside is like a fillet weld around the entire base but still a leak, not sure if there's some level of contamination that didn't allow a bond so a tiny pinpoint hole allowed a leak or something. Unfortunately I don't know I can stack weldon on top of weldon and give it another go or if it acts like silicone and doesn't bond to itself. But I'm kind of at wits end.

So any advice? Do you sell just the bottom piece of the reactor? If so I possibly can chop off a half inch off the bottom and just start over again (maybe need to change the size of the rod for the stirrer). Or plan B (less ideal), just get a bucket with a good lid and drill a hole in the top to mount the motor on top.

Unread 06/14/2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Hi Mike,

How old is the reactor?
How long was it used before putting away?
Was it a kit or a pre-built unit?

There are definitely options to get this fixed for you but if you can answer the above it will help me make the best recommendation.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2019, 12:39 PM   #3
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Age hmmm... I'd say somewhere in the 4-5 year time frame if I wanted to make an honest guess. Old enough to be not even close to warranty period if that's what you're getting at

How long was it used, couple years maybe? First motor is still going strong from what I can tell. Sorry for the vagueness of the time answers, it was long enough ago that I can't honestly remember how long it was

And it most definitely was a kit.

Unread 06/17/2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

I think best option is to send us the base. We can pressure test to find exact pin hole leak and should be able to get it stopped. We do sell replacement bodies as well as all of the components to build a new chamber here: https://www.avastmarine.com/collecti...cement-parts-1

I do think we can fix it here though, so if you want to go that route, open a ticket on our site and we will get a RMA started for repair.

Unread 06/18/2019, 01:40 PM   #5
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

When you say send the base, you mean just the white acrylic bottom part? Or the whole base + tube? Because I'm not sure how I'm going to get the base off the tube unless I cut it off.

Unread 06/19/2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
When you say send the base, you mean just the white acrylic bottom part? Or the whole base + tube? Because I'm not sure how I'm going to get the base off the tube unless I cut it off.
Correct, the base + tube.