Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2015, 02:54 PM   #8376
thr007
Registered Member

Hi there new member here from Athens, Greece. Started setting up, together with a very enthusiastic team by local shop myaquarium.gr a 3 tank system, 2 reef already underway: custom 300gal (1100lt) with 80gal (380lt) sump and a 'plug & play' Innovative Marine 40gal NUVO Fusion (150lt). Future project will include a purpose built custom seahorse 40gal tank linked to the 300gal tank as a 2nd refugium. Will post soon pictures and technical specs under the large tank section. Looking forward to advice and ideas from the reef 'veterans' in the forum!

thr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 03:33 PM   #8377
starkiller
Registered Member

I figure I should do the obligitory intro. I'm new to the forum but not new to the hobby although I'm getting back into doing a salt tank after about an 8 year absence. I've done freshwater tanks my whole life.

Current set ups are
155 bowfront, planted, mixed tropical (mostly angels and gourami)
40 gal dwarf cichlid
93 cube reef, build n progress

Looking forward to interacting with forum members and on various tank build threads and soliciting advice and ideas from members on my own build thread.

starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 01:56 AM   #8378
LitoriousBIG
Registered Member

Complete newb

Hi everyone. I am still at the research phase and was planning on setting up a 75 gallon reef tank. I'm having a hard time finding a reef ready tank online(looking online because there is not LFS around) I did come across this and was just curious as to what everyone thought about this setup. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=294

LitoriousBIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 05:41 AM   #8379
the_ccm
Registered Member

Hi,

a Hello from France/Paris. I already own 2 reef tank since 4 years, 4Gal. and 20Gal. I will terminate the bigger one and currently building a 80Gal. I came here to find help building my 5 ch. driver PCB.

Cheers,

the_ccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 06:03 AM   #8380
Big Country
Registered Member

What's up everybody,

This is my first post. I am building my first Saltwater tank. RC has helped me in so many ways so far by pointing me in the right direction. Current build is as follows:

90 gallon corner overflow
30 gallon ADHI sump
Mag 9.5 return pump
200 watt Jagar heater
ASM protein skimmer rated for 150 gal.
Reef breeder proton 48 led light
Reef keeper elite controller
Aqua UV 25 watt
BRS RODI unit
Jebao wp25 wave makers
100 lbs. of reef cleaner rock
80 lbs. of sand

Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 11:31 AM   #8381
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Hi!
I am a new member, and have already gotten a lot of help on new to the hobby.
I currently have a 75 gal, empty, and a lot of plans for the future. I also have a 40b sump, which I built myself.

BigBlueTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 08:35 PM   #8382
pillar coral
Registered Member

Back in the game!

Hello RC. My name is John and I am getting back into the hobby after an 18 year hiatus. The wife and I broke down our old tank before our son who is 17 was born. We missed our tank and have decided to start the adventure again. Our tank was a 65 gallon tall, vho lighting, with wet dry and little giant pump. We had a powder blue, sailfin, chevron, lawnmower blenny, and 2 cleaner shrimp along with numerous corals. So much has changed and the more I read some things are the same. I was looking for a thread on cycling the tank and have not found it yet. Well enough of that, I am happy to be back! Hoping to start cycling the tank in a couple weeks as soon as I finish the Tank stand and canopy.

Our new tank set up is a 90 gallon Aqueon with overflow, E-shopps R-300, Coralife 220 Super Skimmer, TLF phosban 150 reactor, Mars Aqua 300 watt LED.
I may add another 165 watts of Lighting if that's not enough. I will also be adding about 60 pounds of live rock.

Looking forward to getting some help and helping others if possible!

Thanks RC!

pillar coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2015, 05:04 PM   #8383
nichevan
Registered Member

Getting into the hobby.

Howdy from Texas ya'll. I have been looking into doing a reef tank for over a year now and was constantly told by my mother (I'm 19 and in college) that I should wait to do that until older. Little did I know she was just waiting to get my a tank, stand and some equipment for christmas. The stand needed a bit of DIY rebuilding to allow for a sump, the 60 gallon she got me is 48x13x24 so not and ideal depth front to back but she is proud so I will make it work. Currently waiting on the tank to be delivered by my father but have the sump running and allowing it to start cycling a bit before the whole thing is assembled. Excited to start this beautiful hobby.

nichevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2015, 10:43 AM   #8384
dragit
Registered Member

Whats up! Names Nick... im from Wyoming and just getting into this hobby.

Got a couple smaller tanks I been setting up for reef. Soon as I get moved in my new home ill be starting them up. Here to learn like everyone else!

dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 11:50 PM   #8385
GmanReefer
Registered Member

Hello my name is Gordy . I started in the hobby a few years ago . Started a saltwater 3 gallon reef tank in June and then I just set up a 10 gallon . I don't have any fish right now but lots of different coral and inverts . Want to set up a tank with a sump soon. Hope to meet other people in the hobby !

GmanReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 01:03 AM   #8386
Sells
Registered Member

tanganyikan graduation

I've owned a freshwater tank fish since my dad gave me $5 for my first lawnmower job. Over the last 30 years I've moved from tetras, to fresh water cichlids, piranhas, and finally Africa cichlids. I’m now hoping to elevate my love of the hobby to salt water.

I've read:
Salt Water and Reef Tanks; Blanchard, Zechariach
The New Marine Aquarium; Michael, Paletta

Looking forward to learning more and meeting some smart people.

Sells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 10:00 PM   #8387
MartinMix
Registered Member

4 weeks in and love it! Bring on the tips, experts:)

Greetings! My name is Leslie and My husband and I started our tank in mid December (~4 weeks ago). I'm not sure how to properly list the tank info so I'll give it a try: 75gallon, live rock, live sand, 2 damsels, 2 clown fish, a few hermit crabs and snails. Just got a tiger goby but he doesn't seem to be enjoying the tank so I might take him back to the store so he will be ok. Had one fatality of an emerald crab. So sad. I'm attached to my little ocean community and want to take the best care of it all, eventually adding coral and anenome. Salinity has been pretty steady between 1.023-1.025, currently at 1.024. Have a refractometer and chem test. pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite between 0-0.25ppm, nitrate is 10-20ppm. Heater 78F, filter, fan. Next step is to get the quad lights (suggestions as to what type model and kind of lights would be great).

Also, where can I learn all about the cycle?

Should I do my first big water change due to the nitrate levels or do I just need to be patient?

How do I know when the cycle is complete /steady?

What would be the next time to add fish and what are some good ones? (I have compatibility chart).

Any tips from the reef community would be greatly appreciated! Loving my hobby!

MartinMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 11:21 PM   #8388
dinonightmare
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad to be a part of this community. I have a couple years of reef experience and am a part of my local reef club TCMAS (twin cities marine aquarium society). I currently have a 80 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump. For about 6 weeks now I have been battling dinoflagellates and have been reading and researching on the internet trying to figure out the best plan of action to defeat it. I came across a thread in this club and found it to be the best information available. So, I decided to join the club.

Thanks for making this a great club!

C.J.

dinonightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 11:49 AM   #8389
Hnybadgr
Registered Member

hello everyone. New to the reefing addiction. I have FOWLR tanks for a long time and finally decided to go the reefing route. I have a 12g 72x 18x 22 dual overflow tank now. I made the cardinal sin of having crushed coral when I started this project but since I have a new stand im building along with a custom sump that i designed and built almost ready to go in I will soon be changing to sand. Other than that I hve questions and see that there is a wealth of experience here.

Hnybadgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 03:14 PM   #8390
MissRenee
Registered Member

New to RC

Hello My Name is Renee.

I am new to reef tanks. I bought a 125 turn key reef & killed it...yes I'm serious! I can do saltwater in my sleep but a quick shortcut cost me a beautiful reef. I have recently started buying frags & starting over, so it is nice to see so many helpful people in one group!
Thank You for adding me as I will be reading, learning, & asking questions.

MissRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 04:49 PM   #8391
rickztahone
Registered Member

Hello everyone, my name is Ricardo.

I am a new member here but have have been a long time lurker from researching sumps/overflows and all that good stuff. Well, after so many years of using canister filters, I finally decided to go with a sump.

I wanted to join to read through general sump/overflow threads and to ask a few questions. If someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, i'll be more than glad. I will browse and use the search function as well to help me move forward with this project I currently have going.

I have only ever had freshwater fish, typically only discus, but have always had an itch for saltwater. Unfortunately, the current build will also be freshwater, but maybe down the line I will go over to saltwater.

Great site, and I hope I learn a thing or two

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 11:35 AM   #8392
OliverS
Registered Member

Hi

I am new to Reef Central & New to Reef Tanks.

Just bought a 58L Nano Boyu TL-450 to learn all about salt water & reef tanks.

Been running Malawi for a couple of years so hopefully that should give me some help but sooo much more to learn.

OliverS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 06:54 PM   #8393
m1k3
Registered Member

Not Exactly New...

Hi all!

Had to check my account, I joined 10/23/2012 and this is my first post! I am sure I lurked a while before that too. I was doing fresh water at the time and really wanted to get into salt but wasn't ready for the financial plunge. Made the plunge... Not sure I was really ready for it but having fun anyway. Good thing tax returns are right around the corner.

I have used the search function religiously and learned tons here. Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge for the noobs like me. I am only now getting around to an intro due to having a couple issues I can't figure out so see my next posts elsewhere...

Here is an FTS (hopefully I did it right since this is my first post) of my 40B with 20 sump lit with a photon 32.

Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1k3 FTSs.jpg (51.0 KB, 4 views)
m1k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 12:31 AM   #8394
josharni
Registered Member

HI All

Hi everybody

I am new to the forum and fairly new to the tank building hobby. I am Arnold from Chennai, India. I am 31 years old. I am really interested in gathering knowledge and know hows on building aquariums as i am planning to start my own aquarium business. Would appreciate any help and advice regarding this.

Cheers
Arnold

josharni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 01:27 AM   #8395
sorto21
Registered Member

Newbie in Long Beach, CA

How's it going? I'm Sam and somewhat new to the hobby. I had an 80Gal tank for a year then I moved and had to seek it. Well now I'm back with a 120Gal tank and need some help with getting the right plants for my refugium and I bought a pair of Radion and want to see if anyone had some good profiles. My tank will be a reef tank mixed with sps and lps. I'll see if I can post photos of it so far.

sorto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 07:55 AM   #8396
65Stang
Registered Member

Resurrected my addiction!

Hi All! Member since 2008 but getting back into the hobby seriously after taking some time off. I have a 110 reef with a DIY 29g sump, mainly zoas and lps. Looking forward to meeting great people and sharing and (mostly) receiving great advice!

65Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 08:25 AM   #8397
NOsushi4me
Registered Member

new to hobby from PA!

I am brand new to this hobby ... right now I have a 30gal setup. I am going to have a zillion questions!!!! Any experts out there that do not mind me bothering them with questions?

NOsushi4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 06:50 AM   #8398
j111
Registered Member

Talking Hello from Aus

Hi Guys

I'm Justin from Australia; I have been interested in marine reef aquariums for a few years. I have been hanging around the forum now for about 1 month and finally joined.

Today marks one week since I have set up my Orca 80L tank. The tank seemed to be a good size for me in addition to maintaining a fresh water 3-foot tank.

After 1 week I began testing my tank and so far the readings are as follows:
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 50+ (currently don’t have my RO/DI unit yet so couldn’t get an exact)

I haven’t ghost fed my tank (not sure if I should) but by the looks my cycle is well under way. I’m seeing small red growths and small algae growth on coral.

Looking forward to seeing my tank progress and hope you guys can help me with all the question i may have along the way.

j111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 03:19 PM   #8399
AR10
Registered Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I am new to hobby of reef keeping, having only had fresh water aquariums previously, I've decided to step it up, albeit not without a few early challenges which I am having at the moment.

Anyway, great to be here and see all the good info. I am sure I'll learn a lot.

Cheers.

AR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 03:25 PM   #8400
awittig
Registered Member

Greetings from PA

Hi there,

Just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Andy and I live about an hour west of Philadelphia. I have a 110 gallon saltwater setup that I've had for over 10 years. Shortly before my divorce I experienced a mass extinction after bringing in a beautiful queen angel that turned out to be diseased. (I've since set up a quarantine tank). Tank was broken down for several years and I finally got it up and running again about a year ago, and have been slowly populating it.

One of my other hobbies is that I collect, repair, and restore classic full size arcade machines from the 1980's. After lurking on an arcade forum for many years, I finally joined. The information available from the experiences of other members is amazing. Well, I've been lurking here for quite some time, so I suppose it's time to actually register, which took all of 3 minutes...

awittig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral