Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Piper27
I love bengals

Any acro guys using the new wavepuck pump?

Any sps keepers using the new waveline wavepuck pump? I just picked one up at the local store and am excited to use it on my 8' growout. The tanks in the store had them running and they looked to be moving water great and looks to have a nice wide water distribution like a vortech.
I will give a review once I run it on the tank but the things I like about it from looking are the following...
-The pump pulls off the magnet so there is no fighting to get pumps mounted right after cleaning and cleaning would be much easier.
-The pump doesn't have grills that are exposed to light so the pump won't need to be cleaned when algae grows and flow won't be hampered.
-Flow looks to be wide and looks like it pulls water in behind the pump very well to keep the whole tank moving.
-It's only 130 bucks.
-There are not a lot of parts.
It's looks great for adding a little more flow to an sps tank or just running one on an lps tank would provide great movement for the coral.
I am very turned off by the review reef builders has on the pump. Seems the writer has bad blood with the company? He said it was to big, but it's no bigger than any other power head out there and honestly it's not as ugly as a jeabo. If it lasts longer than a jeabo and doesn't lower in power as it ages I will be happy.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 05:34 AM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

I haven't even heard of them. Now I'm going to check them out. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~

Last edited by Pife; 01/26/2018 at 07:04 AM.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Piper27
I love bengals

Yea check it out and let's hear what you and everyone thinks. The guy on reef builders says it's a weak pump, but the flow I saw it pushing was definitely not weak. Either way I will find out for sure when I get home. I encourage everyone to read the reef builders review and give an opinion on it as well.

http://www.coralvue.com/waveline-wavepuck

Unread 01/28/2018, 09:52 AM   #4
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Am really tempted but am lucky to have a wife who keeps my wants and desires in check .
Am still running like 5-7 year old tunzes and everytime I wanna buy new wavepicks she reminds me - don't change what's not broken !!

But am interested to know how the wavepuck performs in sps dominated tanks .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Piper27
I love bengals

Well here is what I have done so far, I have put mine in my 100 gallon rock tank aiming across the tank mounted at the top of the water line maybe less than 2"!!! It's pushing water the width of the Rubbermaid stock tank and all the way across. Even with an mp40 on 100 percent power mounted halfway down from the waterline and aiming across the flow of the wavepuck. It really throws water across the surface of the tank. I really like this and how it won't suck any air into it when so close to the water on 100 percent.
I had a very easy time figuring out the controller. Took me about 5 min to have all the options figured out. I have not set up the option to run it on a tank controller but it's supposed to use the DC power to ramp up and down like a reef rest program. It doesn't have a reefcrest mode on it's own controller but that's ok with me since I can still set it up if I need to.
I am cleaning all the corals in my holding tank tonight and mounting the wavepuck on my overflow in the center of my 8' shallow runway tank. The store I got it from had them mounted like this and they pulled water in through the back better than being mounted on a flat surface. If you pull the wavepuck away from the magnet mount it really gains power. I bet if they made an extension to keep the power head off the glass about three inches it would really move more water with force. But would be an eyesore for anyone not mounting them behind rockwork. The flow is a little soft but I prefer flow very wide since not many power heads have it like that. And it's hard to get forceful flow distributing it so wide in the tank. If this power head lasts a good amount of time and doesn't weaken of time I am a repeat buyer well if they don't have a bunch of recalls at least...
The design of the wavepuck looks solid as any power head I have seen. The grill won't break like an mp40 or jeabo, that's for sure. There are a ton of things in the reef builder article that we're negative, well everything was, but I have not seen anything the same way. Seems like a great pump so far and I will update again when I mount it in the runway.

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:43 PM   #6
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Thank you for the review.

Keep in mind that some of those internet sites only say good things about people who advertise with them... they shill for money. I have found that one to be no different.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 11:51 PM   #7
tklb
Registered Member

I have one as well on my 120 Gallon tank. It is working great connected to the Apex on a 0-10v connection. Really love the pump. great value.

tklb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Piper27
I love bengals

Jda, I agree a lot of sites you gotta be weary of.

I am looking forward to hooking it up to our Apex once I finally set it up, it's been three years at least just sitting there. When running it on the Apex I wonder if you can only control one power head that way? It's only got one connection from what I remember. Anyone know how that works?

Unread 01/30/2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Piper27
I love bengals

So I have the wavepuck mounted on my overflow in the middle of my 8' runway and it's really moving all the water in that side of the tank very well. It's not hard flow but very wide and it pulls a lot of water back into it like they gyre does. I have mine mounted 2" under the water on 80 percent and it's not sucking air off the surface. It does have a strong pull into the backside of the pump and I am kind of worried about small fish even though I don't have many.

Unread 01/30/2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Great information......
Keep posting!

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 04:37 PM   #11
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Thank you for the information. I have a 14' build coming up and this is good information.

If EcoTech had made this, they ReefBreeders would have christened it the best thing since the wheel was invented without even testing it.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 06:34 PM   #12
clk51212
Registered Member

I was thinking of using 2 of these on my back wall on each side of my reefer 350

clk51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:46 AM   #13
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Thank you for the information. I have a 14' build coming up and this is good information.

If EcoTech had made this, they ReefBreeders would have christened it the best thing since the wheel was invented without even testing it.
I don't know about you man but I think there hasn't really been much of any good inventions since the wheel anyways...

clk I wouldn't use these as the only source of flow until their durability and longevity is tested. Not that I don't think they won't last, but I have seen one or two issues from people. Could be user error or a simple fix though.

Unread 02/01/2018, 05:58 AM   #14
clk51212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
I don't know about you man but I think there hasn't really been much of any good inventions since the wheel anyways...

clk I wouldn't use these as the only source of flow until their durability and longevity is tested. Not that I don't think they won't last, but I have seen one or two issues from people. Could be user error or a simple fix though.

Was going to use them break up the flow from the Tunze 6095 across the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clk51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 06:58 AM   #15
Piper27
I love bengals

That would probably be a good idea, they would compliment a tunze well.

Unread 02/16/2018, 06:22 AM   #16
Piper27
I love bengals

No one has got one yet? I figured a few people would give a review.

I have noticed this pump moves a lot more water than it looks like. It's moving the whole left side of an 8' shallow runway tank in motion even with two jeabo pumps pushing against it to breakup the flow. I am going to get another for the other side of the tank.

Unread 02/19/2018, 06:30 PM   #17
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Hey ,

How's the pump doing man ? Thinking of picking up a couple butcame across a bad review in ************ .
How's your thoughts on the pump ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:04 AM   #18
Piper27
I love bengals

The pump is running great. That whole review that you read on the site is bunk. The only way to show how well it works is by making a video. It's still aimed at two jeabo pumps and moving water right through their flow. Whenever the pump kicks on water rolls across that half of the water surface very well. I really hope they make other sizes of this pump. It's made very solid. It seems that review may have put everyone off from buying it. Which is unfair for the maker of this pump. Being that it's a completely new design it works great. I will try to figure out how to post a video from my phone when I get home.

Anyone else try or see one in action yet?

Oh and just to add, this is the best pump I know of for shallow frag tanks or displays like 12". I have been fighting to get flow everywhere while having to move corals away from the front of other power heads.

Last edited by Piper27; 02/22/2018 at 03:09 PM.
Unread 03/04/2018, 12:17 PM   #19
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Piper27 - Any idea when you are planning to take the video ? Am about to pull teh trigger on one or 2 of these to replace my icecap gyres.

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 03/04/2018, 01:24 PM   #20
GQuinn
Registered Member

I liked everything about these pumps except the noise as they ramped up and down. For me, there were quieter pumps available. Maybe I had a bad one.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 07:32 AM   #21
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Piper27 - Any idea when you are planning to take the video ? Am about to pull teh trigger on one or 2 of these to replace my icecap gyres.

Regards,
Abhishek
Hey sorry for the late reply, I have been busy at work. I haven't had time to figure out the best way to post and make a video. I have tried on Tapatalk before and never got it to work.
Just get one and test it out and let me know what you think. It really does move water differently. The gyre moves water similar to this pump but has a very very tight flow pattern.

Unread 03/10/2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I liked everything about these pumps except the noise as they ramped up and down. For me, there were quieter pumps available. Maybe I had a bad one.
I would call them and see. I don't have a way to test how quiet the pump is but I have never noticed a thing. My fish room is loud though. A pump that works great and is cheap can be loud in my house I can barely hear anyways

I have one on either side of my overflow aiming to the left and right corners of my 8' frag tank now. Water movement is much better and corals are much happier, a few brown dud pieces even started to grow beautiful new colored growth once I placed the pump in the tank. I don't believe the jeabo power heads we're moving the water completely at all. The one brown acro I got in maricultured and knew the colors it was. Once I changed the flow in it's area of the tank it started new colored growth in days after sitting in the same place for a year. Obviously not only flow is a factor but definitely one people should not be overlooking.

Anyone know an easy way to post videos?

Unread 10/15/2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Piper27
I love bengals

So guys I have just cleaned both pumps for the first time since installing them. Normally I clean pumps more often, I didn't even take them apart yet just soaked in vinegar and tossed back in. The flow was slightly hindered from algae and detritus buildup but not as much as I figured would happen. The pumps are still pushing water very very well and I have not had a single issue. The flow is still exactly as it was when new, wide dispersed flow that moves through the tank similar to a gyre but doesn't have a thin area where flow is too powerful to put corals in front of it. My across don't mind being very near these pumps as long as there is at least a 1 second break in the lineup.

Really hoping for some other experiences with this pump guys. Anyone else using them or even just one?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Unread 10/15/2018, 10:05 AM   #24
Piper27
I love bengals

Wow so it's been 10 months I ran these two pumps without cleaning, in a very dirty tank with lots of fish. I have never been able to go that long without cleaning a pump before because algae grow inside every other pump I have used and completely ruin performance. Performance didn't slow on these pumps until about last month. My jeabo had to be cleaned three times since then.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Unread 01/08/2019, 02:44 PM   #25
mattinmn
Registered Member

I am not sure how I did find this post until today. I was looking up how to clean them, not sure if they come apart or just soak them. I have 2 of these pumps and was having second thoughts after reading that bad review. I don't think they could be more wrong! I have them on opposite sides of a 90G and only run them about 40% at most on a wave pattern. They give alot of flow and wide flow. I have had them for 6 months and am just cleaning them today because I feel guilty not cleaning a pump for so long. They did not seem to loose performance or get covered in algae like most pumps I have had. I have them hooked up to one 0-10v port on my apex using a homemade cat5 "Y" cable. Coralvue does not stock them anymore, at least not 6 months ago.

mattinmn is offline   Reply With Quote