Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/13/2019, 08:35 AM   #751
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Cautiously optimistic is a good place to be! I looked at pics from right after I added the grasses and it was a mess! Heavy dinos covered everything.

Then.

Now.

Mr Zippy was in v1. For avatar images you really need a big, sharp, bold picture, so it reads well small. I tried several pics from v2, but they just weren't big enough. Once the tank matures a bit more I'll get something more up-to-date.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2019, 02:37 PM   #752
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Cautiously optimistic is a good place to be! I looked at pics from right after I added the grasses and it was a mess! Heavy dinos covered everything.

Then.

Now.

Mr Zippy was in v1. For avatar images you really need a big, sharp, bold picture, so it reads well small. I tried several pics from v2, but they just weren't big enough. Once the tank matures a bit more I'll get something more up-to-date.
Wow, what a difference in the 2 pics. Yes, I see lots of dinos in that first pic and the 2nd looks so clean and healthy. Good job!

I guess I was not reading v1 when you had Mr Zippy. He does make a nice avatar for sure.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2019, 04:29 PM   #753
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks Dawn!

So far, so good, with the algae battle. I've got it beat down pretty good right now. Next, I want my crew to step up and take over. I think I'm approaching having enough snails and friends to do it. I believe clean up crews can do much more good for our aquariums than we give them credit for. You need to know each members' strengths and weaknesses, and diversify.

What I'd really like next is macro growth. Now that I have them placed, I'm leaving them be, so they can settle in and grow. I am seeing growth in the tiny, green macros that came in with the live rock. Also, I can just make out a tiny, green, fern-shaped macro I assume is caulerpa. I was planning to avoid caulerpas this time, but right now I'll take all the help I can get, to outcompete the uglies. Since I haven't been able to acquire one of the macros I had planned for the fake wall, maybe I'll let the caulerpa stand in, and we'll see how it does.

Mr Zippy was kind of an experiment. I wanted to see how long my tank could support him, before he wiped out my plants. It took about six months. It gave me a vacation from pruning, which was nice. But I had to remove him. So, like Phyllis the file fish, Zippy was a temp. But what a great fish!

Old 03/14/2019, 07:06 AM   #754
McPuff
Registered Member

Nice new avatar! :0)

Oh and the tank is looking mighty fine too.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2019, 09:04 AM   #755
Chasmodes
Registered Member

V2 looks so clean and green. Nice! And I thought V1 went well. You're ahead of the game so far Michael. I was wondering what the live rock might bring in. Great pics!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2019, 09:37 AM   #756
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks McPuff! Thanks Kevin!

I'm still holding at cautiously optimistic. If my crew can keep it down until my macros kick in, I might be good!

Old 03/14/2019, 10:10 PM   #757
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

The tank seems pretty low nutrient right now. Even ulva isn't growing. That's kind of surprising, given the ten pounds of uncured live rock I added over a week ago. I'll give it more time. With my dirty sand bed, the grasses are getting all they need.

With most of the algae gone, it looks like my snails are keeping it that way. This is what I hoped for. Balance!

Old 03/16/2019, 09:14 PM   #758
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I did a slight adjustment of the reds, with another going up, into the wall.

A dino-clean for the grasses today. I'm still not dino free, but there isn't much left. Same with cyano. The grasses got a little beat down by the blackout, but they're slowly bouncing back. The mysterious, little green macros are growing well. Maybe another candidate for the back wall?

My crew is getting there. They just need to reproduce a bit more. The sand bed isn't as wormy as I'd like. I think I must have lost some when exporting algae.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass