Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Nor127
Registered Member

Clownfish laying on the sand

Hi. Two weeks ago I purchased a large clownfish and a algea blenny. These were my two first fish. The clown has from day 1 been very active. It had been swimming from side to side all day long. Never even touched the sand. Today I bought a second clown. A much smaller one. From the second the smaller clown entered the tank, the large clown changed its behavior. It is now much calmer. Always swimming side by side with the other one. No aggression at all I guess this is normal clown behavior?

But some hours later, right before I turned off the light, the large clown started laying on the sand in the corner of the tank with the smaller clown swimming right next to it. Should I be worried? Or is the normal behavior?

All my parameters are in order.

Also, whats the main signs for sick clowns?

Im new to saltwater tanks and I appreciate all answers
Thanks!

Nor127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

What kind of clown are they? do you know if they are captive bred or wild?
some clowns tend to like to hangout in a corner of the tank, but for me that's always been the upper corner of tank never the sand bed. Do you have an anemone for the clown to host?

Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 07:42 PM   #3
sc50964
Moved On

Nor127, you probably want to pay close attention to the clowns. It's not usual for clowns to lay on the sand for no reason. Watch for discoloration, spots, any fin damage, loss of appetite..., or maybe just take a picture or a video and post it.

sc50964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Nor127
Registered Member

They are Ocellaris. The large one is wild. I have no anemone, but I have bought a coral for them. Just waiting for it to open. I cant see any signs of sickness and they eat as they should. The large clown just seems to be resting on the sand for short periods. It has found the place with the least current and kind of chills there for some seconds and then swims around for a bit. Could it just be lazy? It seems to choose the same spot every time so im hoping that its just hosting the spot

Nor127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Did you quarantine them at all? Just wondering if there is a possibility of disease since the large one is wild. How's your lighting? Perhaps you should consider adding a rose bubble anemone (easiest anemone to keep) and see if the big guy would host it?

Unread 10/11/2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Betta132
Registered Member

Just resting? Probably okay. Clowns are weird.
A small public aquarium near us has a clownfish that hosts (I kid you not) a hole under a rock. People ask if it's trapped, but nope, it just likes being under there.

Unread 10/11/2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Just resting? Probably okay. Clowns are weird.
A small public aquarium near us has a clownfish that hosts (I kid you not) a hole under a rock. People ask if it's trapped, but nope, it just likes being under there.
Love it! Some clowns likes to host things other than anemone- Some common ones are lps, rare ones are clams, and I think hosting a hole brings this one to a whole new level

Unread 10/12/2014, 06:35 AM   #8
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

I have a clown that likes to lay on a bed of GSP all day. ALL DAY! the dude is a lazy bum! He's the male of a pair. Once I moved them to a bigger tank no GSP. One day I found him laying on the side in the sand. thought he was dead. NOPE. He just likes to LOUNGE. He only becomes active when food's there or its time to sleep. then he gets busy with his lady LOL.

oh you'd be jelly. He stays skinny despite just eating and not doing a thing all day! It's his faithful lady who keeps getting bigger and bigger.

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Barracuda68
Registered Member

When i first got my clowns, one of them dug a hole in the sand on the first and second night by the glass. Then they slowly found an upper corner to move to at night. Just keep an eye on them. They just might be aclimating.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, 55 lb rock, 45 lb sand, 1000gph return pump, jebao wavemaker, t5 4 bulb light
Barracuda68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 11:07 AM   #10
claireputput
Registered Member

Hi, I have never seen this behavior out of my two clowns. However, clowns do have a mind of their own. Like others have said, just keep an eye on them.

claireputput is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, pair