Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2015, 08:29 PM   #1
reefnooby
Registered Member

Question pairing an existing male false clown with new mate??? how to?

Hello! My 20 gallon has been cycling for just about 3 months now and I have my male in the 3 gallon right now. Had him for a little over a year and I'd like to keep him cuz hes really good about not jumping when the lights go out. Is it possible to re-pair a false clown so late? if so, any methods in doing this??? i thought maybe introduing he other clown in like breeder box just to ease the tension. any suggestions or info greatly appreciated!!!!

3gallon
20gallon

reefnooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 08:44 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Breeder box absolutely, but I doubt your existing still is or will remain male, a smaller clown would be best, let your guy take the female role.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 04:28 PM   #3
reefnooby
Registered Member

Well I got the other clown. Mine was small as it is but they had one a tiny bit smaller. I explained to them my intentions. They said to just release the other one and have a net ready and they I should know within a couple seconds if they're comparable. So I did. The smaller one did the little side wiggle with which I think is it submitting to the other clown. So far so good. No fin nipping or anything.

Unread 08/28/2015, 06:23 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Well hope it stays cool, but for future reference the breeder box is the safest way to go, you still can tell if the female wants to kill it or just curious, and sometimes it takes a couple days for her to get used to it.
I hate when people say just throw them on in and "it should work out" or "oh you'll know if it's cool or not"
Sometimes it results in death of the smaller clown before you can even grab the net.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 08/28/2015, 07:01 PM   #5
reefnooby
Registered Member

I asked the lfs I I could exchange the fish I have now for a pair. Would that be better than this and would it increase the chances of mating ?

Unread 08/28/2015, 08:05 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

No reason to do that, sounds like you like him/her and wish to keep it.
I would.
A lot of people do get lucky just tossing them in w/ each other, but it doesn't always work out and there is risk is all I'm saying.
The breeder box trick helps eliminate that risk.
It's not super responsible of your LFS to suggest you bypass the breeder box and just throw it in.
In fact, they really should be telling you to QT your fish rather than toss them in.

Tags
clown, coral, gallon, pair, reef