Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Copperdog
Registered Member

Unhappy Coralife Super Skimmer

Okay, Just bought a CSS and need some help. Got it all set up on my sump and I have water coming out of the air port thing on the output tube. I mean WATER like shooting out a good 4 inches into the air. I put a length of tubing from the air port back into the sump so I don't have water everywere but I am at a loss on how to stop it. Plus my dear hubby who has been messing with now has it to the point were there are no micro bubbles being produced. I know it takes 24hrs+ to "break in" I didn't know if is part of it or not, just corious what you guys thought.

Thanks!

Copperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2011, 11:41 PM   #2
dzfish17
Registered Member

If there is a way to take it back I would do it. I used one of these when I first started in SW and they are always needing adjustments or have some other problem. I just bought a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer for my 46g bow and Im really impressed with the way it performs.

Unread 03/22/2011, 05:16 AM   #3
davidtsx
Registered Member

+1 on returning it. I've own 2 of them and both had the same problems. YOu much better buying something better.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon Mix reef, SPS and LPS, MRC MR-2 skimmer, BK 250 on my Qt tank, GEO Cal reactor, Apex controller, 2 mp40's, Tunze ATO, and litermeter III for auto water changes.
davidtsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2011, 05:31 AM   #4
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I was never a big fan of my super skimmer. I modded it some and it made it better, but it was never good. I'd call it good enough for $50, but that's as far as I'd go. I now have an Eshopps skimmer and it's great. For $130'ish, new, it spanks the SS65 all over the place.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2011, 12:46 PM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If you can't take it back take a picture and post it so we can see how its setup.

If you can take it back. Take it back. They are notorious for creating floods and not performing well.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Copperdog
Registered Member

unfortunately I can't take it back since it was on sale. I will take some pictures and get them on here. In the mean time any ideas on what to do?

Unread 03/23/2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Zebodog
Registered Member

What depth of water is it sitting in?

Do you have the ball valve installed between the pump and the skimmer (CSS65 only, I think) If so, remove it and see what happens.

Unread 03/23/2011, 01:58 PM   #8
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

I'd throw it away, sell on CL, and take it as lesson learned. Research equip first and avoid these headaches. Most were burned by a super skimmer when first starting, I think LFS get some sort of kickback for pushing these.

Unread 03/23/2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Zebodog
Registered Member

Give it a chance first; they can be decent when used in sump.

Here's a shot of nog I was getting out of it (this was used as HOB)

Unread 03/23/2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Copperdog
Registered Member

Okay, hopefully this makes since.
this is my set up as of right now. The blue arrow is the water exiting into the sump and the yellow arrow is the water coming in to the skimmer. The red circle is were the water is shooting out of (the line is leading the water into the sump). The second photo is just a close up of were the water comes from.
Quote:
What depth of water is it sitting in?
Right now it's in about 5 inches of water
Quote:
Do you have the ball valve installed between the pump and the skimmer (CSS65 only, I think) If so, remove it and see what happens.
Mine doesn't have one.

As of right now I'm not just going to get rid of thing, I rather try and get it to work then just give up.

It has LOTS bubbles (in the main chamber) as long as the water is very low (maybe a 1/4 of an inch) in the cone, at half way up (the cone) some bubbles but not enough to even create a 1/4 of inch of foam on top of the water in the cone (at this point its more bubbles on top then actual foam,as soon as another bubble comes to the top the others burst to make room), and any higher then that nothing just water even in the main chamber.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0010[1].jpg (34.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0011[1].jpg (31.8 KB, 90 views)
Unread 03/23/2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Zebodog
Registered Member

I see a couple of issues. All that additional tubing between the pump and skimmer along with those 90 degree elbows are going to cause performance issues. I really doubt it will skim well unless you eliminate these and have a straight shot from pump to body.

Secondly, the output hose cannot be pointed up; this creates back pressure and is what's causing the water to shoot out of the vent hole.

The issue is the placement of the skimmer in relation to your sump. Looking at the photos you don't have a lot of room between the top of the stand and the skimmer. You either need to raise the skimmer, or use a smaller (height) sump.

Unread 03/23/2011, 05:01 PM   #12
tkeracer619
Registered Member

What zebo said.

You will have to install it in sump or cut your sump in a few places to do it external.

If you go external you will flood your house. Its not if but when.

I would seriously consider looking into another skimmer before too long. There are many on the market that are low cost and perform like the expensive ones.

What size is your tank and what do you keep in it? The css is rated about 4x what it will really skim.

Unread 03/23/2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Copperdog
Registered Member

I will have to try to fix it. Everything you two just said is what I told my husband when he put the stupid thing together, but NOOOOO...I am an artist not an plumber (he's not either).

Its on a 55gal. with live rock, 2 damsels, 2 hermit crabs, a starfish oh and a cleaner shrimp. We've had the tank up for about 2 years now just haven't put anything else in it.

Unread 03/23/2011, 05:40 PM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You want the pump to be connected directly to the skimmer. The pump should be about an inch or two under water and the tube connecting the pump should be as short as possible.

Looking at the pic you will need to raise the water level in your sump. If your sump doesn't have a chamber that has baffles at the right height you will need an auto top off that keeps the sump level stable, install new baffles, or make a new sump.

The water line should be about an inch or two below the hook where you would hang it on a tank. I think its about where it turns clear.

Here is one i heavily modified.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/23/2011 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 03/23/2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Copperdog
Registered Member

I hung the dang thing on the tank and its working! Its amazing what one women can do, when she is home sick with the flu. I am going to show your pictures to the husband when he gets home from work, and read what you guys have said. I have had saltwater in the past but never a skimmer so, I am sorry if I have asked a lot of really stupid questions. If you guys have ANY tips PLEASE PLEASE let me know!

Unread 03/23/2011, 08:48 PM   #16
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I suggest getting one of these.

It sets off a fire alarm sound when it gets wet. Put it under the skimmer.

http://www.amazon.com/Leak-Frog-LF00.../dp/B000WMSTUO

Unread 03/23/2011, 09:22 PM   #17
msr224
Registered Member

Here is a link to mine. I am running the same skimmer....for now. As soon as I can I will upgrade to an SWC. Everyone will continue to tell you to upgrade so jsut get used to it....until you do upgrade....... try different things.

What i found with mine...

1. It has a sweet spot....if the water level gets higher than that or lower is jacks it all up. That sweet spot is about a half inch big...get used to it and stay topped off or keep it in an area with baffles that keep the level constant......

2. Keep it clean. The thing works better if you clean out the entire collection cup once a week.

3. Use an overflow container....When it goes haywire it will fill it and then some...I check mine daily.....and yes. i have had water on the bottom of my sump....

4. I heard but haven't tried it yet. If you connect a normal aquarium air pump to the venturi muffler it will push more air into the needle wheel forcing it the entire skimmer to work better...... AGAIN I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS.....

5. Start looking and dreaming of the upgrade....LOL. Maybe if you upgrade before me i can whine to wife and she'll come off the checkbook.....

6. Keep you hands, fingers and crap out of the damn tank...... everytime you put them in watch the foam head on your skimmer disappear.....the less you mess with it the better....buy a set of plastic tongs and some bamboo skewers to do stuff in the tank.....

Good luck!

S

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 09:23 PM   #18
msr224
Registered Member

ooops... forgot the link....DUH!!!!!!

Unread 05/08/2011, 04:47 PM   #19
sampster5000
Registered Member

I just got this skimmer as well, the 125, and am wondering where yall are keeping the micro bubbles level at in the skimmer. When I first started my skimmer up it filled all the way up and then continued to flood over. This happened when I turned the red knob all the way to the biggest circle. I wasnt able to find any information on where this knob should be turned to and why the skimmer floods when I turn it all the way to the biggest circle. I realized that when I slowly adjust the knob the micro bubbles slowly move up or down in the collection cup tube but no matter where I position them I am getting almost no foam. Is the foam supposed to be instant or does it normally take a few days to fill up? This is my current confusion.

Unread 05/08/2011, 09:05 PM   #20
msr224
Registered Member

Takes a day or so sometimes. Keep your hands out of your tank as much as possible and that will help. Also, did you set up your skimmer on a side of your sump that has the same water level all of the time?

Unread 05/08/2011, 09:43 PM   #21
125G Reefer
Moved On

CLSS, you should keep the foam in the middle part of the neck. Then mod the crap out of it to make it a real skimmer. The only reason I say this, is because I have one, and its heavily modified. The thing will work good. Mine even has been mesh modified.
http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.p...r-skimmer-css/
This will help you out.

125G Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2011, 10:23 PM   #22
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125G Reefer View Post
CLSS, you should keep the foam in the middle part of the neck. Then mod the crap out of it to make it a real skimmer. The only reason I say this, is because I have one, and its heavily modified. The thing will work good. Mine even has been mesh modified.
http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.p...r-skimmer-css/
This will help you out.
Nice post. Thanks for it.

Unread 07/06/2012, 08:08 PM   #23
Jim.mer
Registered Member

I had a 125 when I first started, many years ago. I put mine in the sump, I was happy with it. Made a few mods and was good until I bought a EuroReef cs100. I wouldn't hang it off the back though.

I said to my self, my self I said, Maybe i'll go LED
No my self said No, MH all the way

Current Tank Info: 12 jbj settin up soon, no fish, just inverts, hermits,softies,LPS
Jim.mer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coralife, protein skimmer