Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2012, 12:25 PM   #1
emilypres
Registered Member

Wet/Dry filter or Sump Refugium?

I am brand new to the hobby and have been reading alot. I figured i would start buying things a little at a time and slowly but surely i would get enough to get started. I recently bought some items thru craigslist for $75. Its everything you see in the pictures including a 4' coralife T5 light. I think i got a pretty good deal but im not sure. I thought i knew what i wanted to do with the 2 acrylic tanks but now im not sure. Any ideas? I am planning on buying a 75gallon reef ready tank. I want a coral/fish tank mix. Please look at the pics and tell me what you think i could do with this. It looks like the 2 acrylic tanks were attached at one point, however most of the baffles are missing. I can make baffles at work easy enough.

so i think my question is do i go with a wet dry filter with the protein skimmer or do i try and set up some sort of sump refugium with a skimmer or can i do a mixuture? Need some advice from someone more experienced than me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wet dry 1b.jpg (86.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg wet dry 2b.jpg (93.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg wet dry 3c.jpg (91.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg wet dry 4d.jpg (82.2 KB, 40 views)
emilypres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Jopalmighty
Registered Member

I'm pretty new to the hobby as well. After much research I made the decision to go with a sump/refuge. because of the issue with trickle filters possibly raising nitrates if not cleaned regularly. I do also run a skimmer and my nitrates have constantly been 0

Jopalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Kyle918
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalmighty View Post
I'm pretty new to the hobby as well. After much research I made the decision to go with a sump/refuge. because of the issue with trickle filters possibly raising nitrates if not cleaned regularly. I do also run a skimmer and my nitrates have constantly been 0
I agree. With everything that I have read on this forum, I would stay away from a wet/dry trickle if you are doing a Reef Tank.

The wet/dry is more applicable to a fish only setup. Like jopalmighty said, it can raise your nitrates if not cleaned regularly not to mention more cleaning is just that...more unneed cleaning.

Kyle918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Fizz71
FragSwapper

+1 on the others. The traditional "Wet/Dry" filter has gone by the wayside for all but the FO people (there are exceptions of course). Live rock is your filter--you can use wet/dry filter media or socks if you feel the need for large particle filtration.

I'm not sure what that monstrosity in your photos is. Two W/Ds linked together maybe? Either way...an acrylic box is an acrylic box...you can make it work. Hell I had 3 rubbermaid tubs linked together like that for my sump for years...I'm not a DIY Acrylic guy.

I'd be curious what those skimmers are rated for...probably more than a 75g would need but hey...you got 'em...use 'em!

There's potential in what you've got there, but I'm not sure what to type as advise.

Current Tank Info: Current system is 8x2x2 240g peninsula setup with a single "chamber" 100g sump in the basement with an RDSB. All corals are 100% home grown from frags of fellow reefers (low natural reef impact).
Fizz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:10 PM   #5
eyesinthedrk
Registered Member

My personal opinion is that an undersized refugium is a waist of time and space. I think you would be better served to use that space for added water volume and media reactors. I wouldn't bother with using it as a wet dry. You live rock will handle the nitrogen cycle fine all by its self. Just use it as a conventional sump. I'm sure many would disagree with me about the refugium, but as I said that's my opinion.

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated, 125 gallon dt with 3 Apollo reef LED pendants, Apex Controler. 100 gal basement sump, 100 gallon basement fuge, euro reef skimmer, reef octopu s cr140 calcium reactor. Phos an reactor.
eyesinthedrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:35 PM   #6
corpjet1
Registered Member

If used together I would be concerned with how high those bulk head fittings are. If you had room to tie them together great but those bulk heads are way too high.

You could set that system up nice with a refugium and plenty of room for one skimmer, there is no reason I can see to run two.

corpjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 08:00 AM   #7
emilypres
Registered Member

I did set it up and have it running, however, i just recently purchased eshopps adv-100 sump so I will be switching over. If anyone is interested in these 2 acrylic tanks, just pm me. I will probably use them on some of my smaller tanks for small sump, but if someone really wants them I would be willing to part with them.

emilypres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coralife, protein skimmer, refugium, sump, wet dry