Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2016, 02:25 AM   #1
jayjay5531
Registered Member

HOB protein skimmer versus in sump?

Which is better? What are the actual pros and cons?

I have this HOB skimmer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pid=PLA_B_6194 but I want to get a sump, and I'm wondering if I should eventually get an in-sump skimmer to utilize that space. I know with the HOB filters they say to position the intake so that it collects from the surface of the water. Is this actually an advantage? Don't you lose that advantage with an in-sump filter?

Also, I've heard that venturi skimmers are better than countercurrent skimmers? How do I know which type mine is? Has anyone here used the one I have^ and liked it?

Thanks!!

jayjay5531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 05:14 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

HOB skimmers are OK if you don't have a sump and it's a smaller tank. In sump skimmers tent to be bigger, more powerful and used on bigger tanks. I had a HOB when I started with a 30g tank. But I went to a sump and in sump skimmer when I upgraded to a 75g tank.

Skimming off the surface is for the HOB skimmer because you aren't clearing the surface with an overflow (the drain that collects the water and moves it to the sump) that does the surface skimming and puts it in the sump. So in sump skimmers don't need to take surface water as that's what has been delivered to the sump.

Unread 08/29/2016, 06:05 AM   #3
CarrieB
Registered Member

One nice thing about an in sump skimmer is if they overflow it just goes back in the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 07:15 AM   #4
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieB View Post
One nice thing about an in sump skimmer is if they overflow it just goes back in the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 skimmers tend to overflow frequently. I had a HOB skimmer (BH2000) and had more than one overflow and mess to clean up. If you can do in-sump that is the way to go for sure.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 12:23 PM   #5
jayjay5531
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses! The overflow thing makes sense. So I should get something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-PF300...com|||29,37|3| And then the intake of the overflow should extend just barely under the surface of the water, right?

Unread 08/31/2016, 01:38 PM   #6
jstack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay5531 View Post
Thanks for the responses! The overflow thing makes sense. So I should get something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-PF300...com|||29,37|3| And then the intake of the overflow should extend just barely under the surface of the water, right?
if you we worried about the skimmer overflowing then that will give you a heart attack when it overflows

jstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 01:56 PM   #7
xCry0x
Registered Member

I have had a aquamaxx hob-1 on my tank for well over a year and it never overflowed -- saying that they overflow frequently is a bit odd. Maybe it depends on the collection cup?

Most I have had would overflow back into the neck of the skimmer if something causes it to start skimming super wet for some reason. The aquamaxx overflows back into the skimmer body as well.

I am not familiar with your reef octopus HOB but from the picture it looks like it has a venturi -- usually a venturi skimmer will have a airline hose going into a tube before the pump. The venturi effect pulls air through the tube as water passes by and as such injects air into the water as it goes into the pump. A modern skimmer will have a pump impeller that is a needle wheel or mesh wheel type impeller to pull water and chop the air into tiny bubbles for skimming efficiency. That is really the basic function of a venturi skimmer.

xCry0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 07:31 PM   #8
jayjay5531
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstack View Post
if you we worried about the skimmer overflowing then that will give you a heart attack when it overflows
What's the best way then to move surface water into the sump, other than drilling into the glass?

Unread 09/01/2016, 05:16 AM   #9
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay5531 View Post
What's the best way then to move surface water into the sump, other than drilling into the glass?
A properly designed sump filtration system will never overflow. Either drilled or with a HOB overflow. So really there should be no worries on that end. A skimmer, however, can be finicky. For instance, if you change your filter sock, the skimmer can go crazy and overflow. If the water level changes it can overflow. Some people never experience this. I had it twice with my BH2000 in 2 years. The first time I was not home and it overflowed and went through the floor to the basement room below it (probably a gallon of water). The 2nd I happened to be there right as it happened and stopped it. From that point I decided never to do a HOB again. ymmv

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 12:19 PM   #10
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstack View Post
i used HOB overflows extensively for several years with no issues. great way to add a sump to a non-drilled tank.

in fact, i still have one of them running on my grow out tank. got rid of the other when i upgraded my system to include two drilled tanks.

the e-shoppes overflows are the ones to get in my opinion.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 04:43 PM   #11
firemountain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgate View Post
+1 skimmers tend to overflow frequently. I had a HOB skimmer (BH2000) and had more than one overflow and mess to clean up. If you can do in-sump that is the way to go for sure.
If you make a few modifications to the BH2000.... It will not overflow. Mine used to overflow on startup on occasion, but since I modified it, it has been fine for over a year. An in sump is definitely the way the go, but I started using a HOB skimmer since it was given to me. It worked very well and pulled a good amount of gunk out of the water. I upgraded later on, but I now use the HOB in my QT tank.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed reef
firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 04:53 PM   #12
firemountain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgate View Post
double post.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed reef
firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filtration, hob, protein skimmer, venturi