Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2015, 11:22 AM   #2801
Wyze
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 110 tall in slow motion
Wyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 11:37 AM   #2802
Zackmoo
Registered Member

I made my own skimmer last night and it is actually collecting a lot of green crap for only costing me around 10$.

Zackmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 11:54 AM   #2803
madwhite5.0
Registered Member

Guys i purchased a 28 jbj from a buddy. He had a canister filter along with al the sponges and media in the back chamber. As soon as i transferwd it to my place i ditched the canister and everything in the back. In the media rack i added filter floss, chaeto in the moddle and chemipure on bottom.purigen will hang from on of the side chambers. I also added 10lbs of live sand. The water has been cloudy but has significanlty cleared up. With the chemipure and purigen can i expect it to clear up significantly?

madwhite5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 12:00 PM   #2804
winwar
Registered Member

very cool!

Current Tank Info: 300 Gallons SPS
winwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 01:13 PM   #2805
MatnNatsReef
Registered Member

Anyone know if an original style Innovative Marine Desktop sized skimmer will work on the JBJ 28gal?

I have the opportunity to pickup the tank very cheap to replace the Fusion 16 that I know is a time bomb..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM aqua 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 59 views)
MatnNatsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 05:57 PM   #2806
surveyor65
Registered Member

Intro and question

Hello and good evening fellow nano lovers. Surveyor65 from Central Missouri here.
Before I ask my question, first a little background. I've owned tanks most of my adult live...mostly fresh until 4 years ago. I bought a 54 corner tank off Craigslist and decided to go salt with it. After watching my new tank grow and thrive, I knew I needed to go bigger. My next Craigslist find was a 150 (advertised as 200, but converting cubic feet to gallons makes it a 150). Now both tanks are doing beautifully with some minor arguments with water quality, but diverted. My next find was to be a specific, self-contained system for the cube farm I call work. After a couple months scouring Craigslist, I brought home, and eventually set up at work, a JBJ 28g Nano Cube. The only issue was a missing transformer for the 4 moonlights...which was found, delivered, and plugged in today. Now for the question....drum-roll please.....
Are the 4 moonlights SUPPOSED to blink on and off? If so, why? If not, how do I fix it?

OK...so that was 3 question...oops.

Thanks, in advance, for any answers/advice.

surveyor65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2016, 05:21 PM   #2807
WHEELPOWER
Registered Member

What some options for a replacement return pump? Low power consumption better.

WHEELPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 07:57 AM   #2808
michellejy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor65 View Post
After a couple months scouring Craigslist, I brought home, and eventually set up at work, a JBJ 28g Nano Cube. The only issue was a missing transformer for the 4 moonlights...which was found, delivered, and plugged in today. Now for the question....drum-roll please.....
Are the 4 moonlights SUPPOSED to blink on and off? If so, why? If not, how do I fix it?

OK...so that was 3 question...oops.

Thanks, in advance, for any answers/advice.
I can't answer how to fix it, but I can tell you from having the tank myself that they are not supposed to blink on and off. It sounds like a wiring/connection issue.

Current Tank Info: 30G FOWLR Clownfish tank soon to be replaced by JBJ 28 Gallon Nano
michellejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 12:32 AM   #2809
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELPOWER View Post
What some options for a replacement return pump? Low power consumption better.
Eheim compact 600 are great. Reliable, quiet, strong, and a drop in replacement.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 09:13 AM   #2810
j_mazzy
Registered Member

Howdy, I need a little advice. I've never worked with these but I am moving to sps in a tank. I have a rio 8hf that I would like to install to increase the flow size. However the outlet is much larger diameter than the stock pump so I cant use the stock tube (unless maybe I stretch it???). If I go with the correct tube size it wont fit the outlet at the top as it will be too big.

Suggestions?

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 11:04 AM   #2811
kevin21
Registered Member

Where do you all place your powerheads in the system to eliminate dead spots? I have a few koralia nanos, and cant seem to place them the right way to get the dead areas.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 06:47 PM   #2812
CheckeredPants
Registered Member

I've had my 28g Intermediate LED running for 4 months now and since day one my temps have been 81-84 degrees. I keep my AC at 75. Last week I gutted the hood and installed my Current Orbit LEDs and 3 TrueLumen Blue strips that I had on another tank...for color, but also to see if the temp reduced...and it hasn't. I have a Koralia Nano pointed at the back wall also. I also kept my lights off for 24hrs a couple weeks ago and still no drop in temp.

I am wondering if the stock return pumps are the cause of the heat or if it's the Koralia. Has anyone switched out the pumps and noticed a drop in temps? I don't want to have to buy a chiller...and see plenty of others who's tanks stay in a lower temp range without one. I know I can get a clip on fan also, but would like some feedback on the source of this excessive heat.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

CheckeredPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2016, 07:15 PM   #2813
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
Howdy, I need a little advice. I've never worked with these but I am moving to sps in a tank. I have a rio 8hf that I would like to install to increase the flow size. However the outlet is much larger diameter than the stock pump so I cant use the stock tube (unless maybe I stretch it???). If I go with the correct tube size it wont fit the outlet at the top as it will be too big.

Suggestions?
I had the same problem running an Eheim compact 1200 on my NC28. I used boiling water to heat up the tubing then stretched it over the pump outlet. Or you can just make an adapter using a couple of items from Home Depot

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 06:25 AM   #2814
WHEELPOWER
Registered Member

Has anyone used the AI flex arm mount for Prime HD on their nano cube? Does it work well/ still allow decent access in the sump area?

WHEELPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 09:17 PM   #2815
Ranchhand02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrambo88 View Post
Here's my Jbj 28. All SPS and a clam.
What light do you have in yours?

Ranchhand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2016, 05:06 AM   #2816
4Runner2003
Registered Member

Hey everyone. After a crash with my JBJ 28g tank awhile back, I finally got the itch to start up again. My biggest problems were the JBJ light, which I've ditched and got a new Radion XR15 G4, which has been pretty cool so far. But anyway, I purchased a Tunze 3155 ATO and wanted to get feed back on the best place to put the optical sensor.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by 4Runner2003; 09/24/2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Update photo
4Runner2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 06:51 AM   #2817
NEOgeorge
Registered Member

JBJ28 Intermediate LED Upgrades?

The stock JBJ28 intermediate stock LEDs wash out colors in the tank and seem to make the fish uncomfortable. Looking for a upgrade solution that will provide a better spectrum for photosynthetic corals and improve color rendition.

Since the tank is already set up with LEDs, is it possible to just replace the original LEDs that are better suited for corals and viewing? Would appreciate any recommendations on sourcing and best spectrum.

Thanks!

NEOgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 12:55 PM   #2818
NEOgeorge
Registered Member

After doing a bit of searching, two companies came up for JBJ 28 nano cube LED retrofits: Pro LED Supply and Rapid LED. Both quickly responded to my e-mail questions and have solutions in the $200 price range that don't require soldering.

Anyone have experience with these companies? Are the kits worthwhile upgrades from the Intermediate LED hood that came with the tank?

Thanks!

NEOgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 09:02 AM   #2819
D_Nyholm
Registered Member

Just replaced one of my pumps with a maxi jet 1200 and while powerful, it is much noisier than the stock pump. Even after ensuring it wasn't touching any glass and modifying the suction cup mount so it doesn't move, it is still noisy with a clicking type sound (made this noise right when I put it in)

Is there another pump that fits that is silent while even sacrificing a little flow (I have a circulation head on order)? I'm currently just using one pump right now since it is just too loud to have in a living space.

Thanks in advance.

D_Nyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 09:25 AM   #2820
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOgeorge View Post
After doing a bit of searching, two companies came up for JBJ 28 nano cube LED retrofits: Pro LED Supply and Rapid LED. Both quickly responded to my e-mail questions and have solutions in the $200 price range that don't require soldering.

Anyone have experience with these companies? Are the kits worthwhile upgrades from the Intermediate LED hood that came with the tank?

Thanks!
I used the rapidled and love it. Clean and customizabe to percentage

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 09:27 AM   #2821
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Just replaced one of my pumps with a maxi jet 1200 and while powerful, it is much noisier than the stock pump. Even after ensuring it wasn't touching any glass and modifying the suction cup mount so it doesn't move, it is still noisy with a clicking type sound (made this noise right when I put it in)

Is there another pump that fits that is silent while even sacrificing a little flow (I have a circulation head on order)? I'm currently just using one pump right now since it is just too loud to have in a living space.

Thanks in advance.
Depends which maxi you have. Marineland garbage. Cobalt quiet and reliable

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
Unread 10/31/2016, 09:41 AM   #2822
D_Nyholm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Depends which maxi you have. Marineland garbage. Cobalt quiet and reliable
Oh man, didn't know there was a difference. Even posted about it with a link

I'll look at that or the eheim 600. Any idea which is quieter?

Unread 10/31/2016, 09:43 AM   #2823
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Oh man, didn't know there was a difference. Even posted about it with a link

I'll look at that or the eheim 600. Any idea which is quieter?

Eheim #1

Unread 10/31/2016, 09:57 AM   #2824
D_Nyholm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Eheim #1
Thank you. Ordering now

Unread 11/03/2016, 06:17 PM   #2825
hipertec
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOgeorge View Post

Thanks!
I have the Advance LED hood. ALL JBJ LED Hoods are garbage and their customer service is even worse.

The LED will go out and when it does, all the strips will go out too. And all it is, is 1 LED bulb but JBJ makes you buy the 1 strip at $70!

I have found on ebay the 3W LED bulb replacement. Search Bridgelux LED Bulb 3W or 3W watts SMD LED. Just unsolder and re-solder on and it was 10pcs for $3! You just have to make sure the intermediate LED hood uses 3W LEDs.

hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote