Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marineland
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Rimless 60 Gallon Cube Tanks Issues?

Figured Id post this up as a 60 in hopes of having a better chance at gaining a response from MarineLand or other 60 owners out there.

Anyways, just like in the 93 thread: 60 w/ corner overflow that has been set up for a few weeks now besides the overflow/sump (having a custom acrylic 20x20x15 made). I Just noticed this yesterday when cleaning the glass.

Its a cluster of micro-bubbles in the silicone joint where the glass panes are mated. Its on both top corners where the front pane meets the side panes, spanning down from the top lip about 1-1/2" in length and in some places almost as thick as the 3/8" pane itself.

The "wet" inside seam looks alright and nothing is leaking as of today. lol! Its pretty unsightly when the LED's are ramped up and now I know its there I cant stop noticing it.

The tank does sit level on a level MarineLand Ventura stand if that is in question.

Anything to worry about given it is rim-less/frame-less?..

Email was sent to MarineLand as well. If I do not hear back from them by Tuesday I will give them a call and inquire about both the 60 and 93.

Contact info for those needing off their site:

800-322-1266

7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

*** If you have a warranty issue, please contact our Customer Service Team about your product issue and how to best handle your problem. Warranty returns should be sent to Marineland Online Returns, 4015 Lakeview Corporate Dr., Edwardsville, IL 62025, but you must call before sending in your product in order to get authorization and further directions.***

(Again, sorry for the sideways pics).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joint 1.jpg (46.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg joint.jpg (43.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpeg tank.jpeg (90.7 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Joeb1983; 08/08/2015 at 08:30 AM.
Joeb1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Contacted MarineLand Wednesday via phone as I did not receive a response to my original email.

I was told to send in pictures of the areas in question for them to be forwarded to their engineering department at Perfecto.

I just received an email this morning stating that the tank WILL need to be replaced.

I am in the process of gathering all they requested which includes additional pictures of the tank on the stand.

I will keep this thread updated for those interested.

Unread 08/17/2015, 12:03 AM   #3
koral_lover
Registered Member

I just noticed the same issue with my tank. I have it on the marineland stand, etc., but don't believe I ever did the warranty registration when I bought it 4 months ago....am I out of luck? What were the requirements to get it replaced? I have microbubbles in the silicon seam (identical to your pic, maybe more) at the top corners, and then going down sides from the top a couple inches before it tapers away....just noticed it, so frustrating after having just got this setup a few months ago...

koral_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Joeb1983
Registered Member

The place I purchased the tank from delivered a new tank this afternoon. Unbelievably, it had the exact same issue in the exact same places. (Why it wasn't opened and inspected before delivery; I don't know)

The kicker is the tanks were both made by the same individual on the same month in the same year.

So back it went and another email was sent out to MarineLand explaining the above.

At this point I'm just over it. Kinda just want to not mess with it anymore and hope for the best...

But, what do you do? Who do you let influence your decisions and basically how you feel about the situation?

No offense, but someone off the Internet telling you it's fine (which 100% it very well may be) or the actual manufacturer of the tank saying it is an issue and that it needs to be replaced?

And then again; are they all like this? If so, some serious changes need to be put in place.

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Joeb1983; 08/20/2015 at 06:30 PM.
Unread 09/03/2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb1983 View Post
The place I purchased the tank from delivered a new tank this afternoon. Unbelievably, it had the exact same issue in the exact same places. (Why it wasn't opened and inspected before delivery; I don't know)

The kicker is the tanks were both made by the same individual on the same month in the same year.

So back it went and another email was sent out to MarineLand explaining the above.

At this point I'm just over it. Kinda just want to not mess with it anymore and hope for the best...

But, what do you do? Who do you let influence your decisions and basically how you feel about the situation?

No offense, but someone off the Internet telling you it's fine (which 100% it very well may be) or the actual manufacturer of the tank saying it is an issue and that it needs to be replaced?

And then again; are they all like this? If so, some serious changes need to be put in place.

I'll keep you updated.
I have the same problem with my 60 Gallo cube, were you able to get a picture of the tanks Id badge while on the stand?

Ma_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Well,

Tank 1 (original): Micro bubbles in the seams. Reason for inquiry to MarineLand. (Emailed first, no response so I called) Informed its bad/needs replaced after supplying pictures. (Was hoping for "its only comsmetic").

Tank 2 (replacement from the place of purchase): Same exact problem as stated above. Email sent off to MarineLand explaining such. In limbo thereafter.

Tank 3 (at another LFS/dry display): Micro bubbles in seams yet again. (starting to think its normal) Another email sent to MarineLand for a status update. No reply.

Tanks 4, 5 & 6 (place of purchase has 3 come in) ALL have the same issue, some even worse than mine.

I receive a voicemail form MarineLand. They asked what I wanted to do seeing how the replacement tank had the same issue on 8/20. Also, it was implied that this would technically be a 2nd RMA depending on what I decided...

Call MarineLand back and speak with another CSR. I am again assured that this is a defect, not normal and or safe. I was told "Do NOT gamble with micro-bubbles in the seams of their rimless tanks" and was told of a customer who inquired about the same thing and the next day had a seam failure... (nice!)

I explain the whole 6 for 6 thing and was told a note was put in for the person I have been dealing with and they would call me back the next day. That was a week ago today...

I sent yet another email on the 28th explaining I had tried calling them back, and replied that all I wanted was a safe and reliable tank:

" So far that would be 6 for 6 that's has the same issue that according to MarineLand/Perfecto is a defect that's warrants replacement...

I'm baffled; the place I got the tank is just as confused. Should they even be sold?..

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I hate feeling like a thorn in someone's side, but I am being told these bubbles are an issue from the tanks manufacturer and that they are not normal.

What would you do if you where in my shoes?

I have invested both time and money for this exact setup. Matching stand, sand, live rock, livestock, lighting, lighting mounts, custom 20x20x15 sump, skimmer, pumps, plumbing so on and so forth all purchased/centered around and sized for this 60 gallon cube. " (Like we all do, but its the principle of the matter)

Like I said; I am being told this is a defect, not normal and not safe, but so far I haven't seen anything different.

I feel lost and not sure what to do. "

I removed the water and while doing so, the bubbles spread lower down the seams... Here is a pic of the right side. You can see where I marked it originally. Almost tripled in length!

Anyways, the built by sticker was not on the tank, but on the overflow/return packaging.

Made by MG, Oct, 2013.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Growing 3.jpg (50.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg built by.jpg (43.3 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Joeb1983; 09/03/2015 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 09/03/2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Just so you don think I'm crazy, here is pics of the first of the three that recently came in sitting in the warehouse right after being delivered.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg warehouse 1.jpg (49.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg warehouse 2.jpg (44.3 KB, 130 views)
Unread 09/05/2015, 03:20 PM   #8
danrobberg
Registered Member

I had two of their 93 cubes do the exact same thing. I returned the first then waited to get the second and wen I water tested that one it did the same thing. I was furious. My tank would have rock in it and be cycling as we speak. I decided to order a custom tank with similar demensions. Spending quite a bit more but to me it's worth not worrying about a tank failure and damaging my home. Also the bubbles in the seam would have just ****ed me off every time I looked at the tank. I can't believe they put out a product with this many defects. It is disgusting and dangerous. I hope nobody gets injured due to a failure from these crappy tanks.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Dude, I hear ya... I already have quotes for acrylic cubes... 1/2" ~ $500ish and don't even ask about a non-braced, 1" thick acrylic tank.

Here are some pics of a guy with a 93 as well with the same problems. He dealt with months of the runaround and still ended up with a tank with the same issues! Some guy said he had the patience of a saint... lol!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 gal 1.jpg (34.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 93 gal 2.jpg (30.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 93 gal 3.jpg (29.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 93 gal 4.jpg (25.4 KB, 94 views)
Unread 09/18/2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Ever get a resolution from marine land?

Unread 09/19/2015, 12:00 PM   #11
mirkus
Registered Member

When I purchased a 93 gallon back in 2013 i called marine land and told them it had bubbles in the seams. They said it's normal, don't worry about it. I filled that bad boy with water.. I could see water in the seam.

Anyway, I ended up getting a replacement tank and it still had micro bubbles in 3 of 4 top corners just not as bad. It still holds water today, but thank you for reigniting my fear. Why are these tanks so shoddy! The rimless tank I had prior to marine land was perfect.

mirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 08:22 AM   #12
Joeb1983
Registered Member

No resolution as of now. I am just holding on to the original tank as it was the "best" out of all of them...

This whole thing blows my mind... I talked to the place I got the tank from 2 weeks ago.

Apparently MarineLand told them they would send out a bubble free tank as they have a new manufacturing process... (That's what he said. I haven't heard a thing from MarineLand)

I'll believe when I see it, but I'm not holding my breath by any means. Like I said, I still haven't heard anything back from MarineLand. No reply to phone or email messages.

I recently got an AquaTop 18" frame-less cube with low iron glass for my office and it is literally flawless; I kid you not. I was honestly amazed! The build quality is night and day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Joeb1983; 09/20/2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Pic of cycling 18" AquaTop cube
Unread 09/20/2015, 06:06 PM   #13
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb1983 View Post
No resolution as of now. I am just holding on to the original tank as it was the "best" out of all of them...

This whole thing blows my mind... I talked to the place I got the tank from 2 weeks ago.

Apparently MarineLand told them they would send out a bubble free tank as they have a new manufacturing process... (That's what he said. I haven't heard a thing from MarineLand)

I'll believe when I see it, but I'm not holding my breath by any means. Like I said, I still haven't heard anything back from MarineLand. No reply to phone or email messages.

I recently got an AquaTop 18" frame-less cube with low iron glass for my office and it is literally flawless; I kid you not. I was honestly amazed! The build quality is night and day.
Per my discussion with the manager at spectrum brand they "know they have a problem with these rimless tanks" and I guess they have some big meeting coming up to resolve it. I told her just to give me my money back and they can have their tank and stand back. So hopefully that'll happen and I can move on, the replacement tank they sent was worse than the one I had

Unread 09/20/2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Well it is clear there is something wrong with their manufacturing process. Wether it be the assembly method or meterials used.

That is very evident when compared to my AquaTop cube. The glass panes are completely even, the silicone seems are thinner, tighter, cleaner and without a single bubble/micro-bubble.

Obviously given my experience so far I was worried about another rimless cube; so I inspected it completely with a LED pen light just to see, so it's obvious it can be done. Like I said I was blown away with the difference.

The MarineLand cube has uneven panes, sloppy silicone work and obviously the bubbles. It's a shame when you come across "that's MarineLand for you".

Hopefully they figure it out...

Last edited by Joeb1983; 09/20/2015 at 08:27 PM.
Unread 09/20/2015, 08:33 PM   #15
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Maybe that's why it's been hit or miss in regards to communication with them due to them figuring this issue out...

Seems like the only option as of now is to either deal/live with it and hope for the best or return it for a refund.

Unread 09/21/2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

As I took my tank down yesterday the micro bubbles went from only the top 2 inches to all the way down to 3 inches from the bottom, I'm glad I took it down lol. But 2/6 weeks for the refund is a little excessive in my opinion

Unread 09/29/2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Yeah, as someone stated before; every time I do a water change they grow while removing water and recede when adding... Never stays the same however.

Still have not heard a thing back from Marineland; so I have no updates unfortunately.

It would be nice if they checked their sponsor threads...

Unread 10/14/2015, 12:02 PM   #18
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Still in the dark... Marineland seemed to fall off the face of the earth.

Pretty sure I am just keeping this tank since I set it back up and its running.

Like its been said, either you live with it and hope for the best, or get your money back.

Apparently, I like to gamble or I'm just lazy. Most likely the last one or a combo of the two.

I do know I'm tired of being in limbo with Marineland.

Unread 11/19/2015, 10:40 AM   #19
mirkus
Registered Member

any updates on this one? I now think the bubbles on my tank are getting worse..

mirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 08:22 AM   #20
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Zip, zero, zilch and nada... I have heard nothing from MarineLand nor has my LFS.

No replies to phone or email messages. Honestly, I gave up after my last post.

It's apparent they want nothing to do with this anymore.

Unread 01/09/2016, 05:08 AM   #21
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Why don't you ask for your money back?

Unread 01/13/2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Like I said, I know that's an option. It's been presented numerous times.

Honestly I'm tired of messing with it. It's completely setup and I don't want to bother going through swapping yet another tank out whether it be Marineland or another manufacturer.

Long story short I'm lazy and given up.

Looking back, this whole thing amazes me...

My buddy at the local fish store has one worse than mine.

Its a dwarf lion tank he's had for a couple years.

Said not to worry about it.

Unread 01/30/2016, 10:11 PM   #23
Mek84
Registered Member

I am currentlylooking at buying a marienland cube. After reading these issues I'm not sure. Do you have any more information about the tanks. Would you recommend one of these tanks or what tank do you recommend after all these problems. Thanks

Mek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 10:56 PM   #24
Joeb1983
Registered Member

PM sent, but I havent had an issue yet other than the visible micro-bubbles in the top corners.

MarineLand tripped me up saying it is bad and needs to be replaced... Thats what started this entire fiasco... (Although it has been said that is their answer to everything)

I know the 93 gallon cubes have more issues than the 60's.

It is a mass produced tank, which increases issues. (I'm am in no way saying it is an excuse to go 6 for 6.... lol!)

Quality, well built tanks from a reputable manufacturer will cost you more than you probably want to spend.

Like I said I'm getting estimates for a 72x24x14 and they range from 600 all the way up to 1800 so far.

The one around the 600 mark is 1/3 the cost of the other manufacturer, but they have a not so good track record in both build quality, warranty and customer support...

My MarineLand 60 cube, stand, custom sump, return pump and plumbing will most likely be going up for sale very soon due to the big tank...

Last edited by Joeb1983; 01/30/2016 at 11:03 PM.
Unread 02/01/2016, 01:05 AM   #25
Mek84
Registered Member

Cube tank purchase

I would like to go with a cube and since you have experience with them. I would like to know what you would recommend. Is it worth buying a more expensive cube than the marienland due to your track record with them. I'm ok spending a bit more money. Really would just like to get the best value for the dollar. I can get a marienland 60 cube for 200 bucks but is the a make that would be better spent money that you can think of? Maybe spending 400 instead?

Thanks for your input

Mek84 is offline   Reply With Quote