Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2020, 06:31 PM   #1
Brisbane Lion
Registered Member

Venting?

Hi everybody....I'm not sure you can help me and I fear this may become something of a venting exercise for me. I will try to be brief. I have been keeping marine fish for over 40 years. It took me about 10 years to stop trying shortcuts and do the right thing. About 20 years ago I had a case of whitespot disease which wiped out all my fish. Ever since all my fish have gone through a strict quarantine in a quarantine tank of course and I have not lost a fish to anything for the last 10 years. This brings me to my problem. I recently purchased 6 cardinal fish and a flame angel. After 6 weeks in cupramine I realeased them into my display tank. After about 2 months what appeared to be white spot spot appeared and wiped out all my fish in less than 2 weeks. Out of desperation and as my tank is FOWLR i dosed my DT with cupramine but to no avail i'm afraid. Please how is this possible or else just help.

Brisbane Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

@HumbleFish

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I assume you had velvet that was not killed off in the cupramine and just masked it. How did you check the concentration of the cupramine? Copper products aren’t great for treating velvet since it has been shown that velvet can withstand the concentration level of copper that’s lethal for fish but didn’t kill velvet. Chloroquine phosphate is the better choice for velvet if your fish can handle CP.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Brisbane Lion
Registered Member

Chloroquine phosphate

Does this have a commercial name?

Unread 02/07/2020, 10:32 PM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

What test kit do you use to ensure that Cupramine is at a therapeutic level (0.5 mg/L) at all times? It is especially needed when dosing in a DT environment because rock will absorb most of the copper initially.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2020, 10:49 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I assume you had velvet that was not killed off in the cupramine and just masked it. How did you check the concentration of the cupramine? Copper products aren’t great for treating velvet since it has been shown that velvet can withstand the concentration level of copper that’s lethal for fish but didn’t kill velvet. Chloroquine phosphate is the better choice for velvet if your fish can handle CP.
Yeah, copper isn't a good treatment for Velvet.
CP is the way to go. But for CP to be for sure effective it should be used in a sterile treatment tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2020, 01:54 AM   #7
Brisbane Lion
Registered Member

I use seachems copper test kit

Unread 02/08/2020, 12:57 PM   #8
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbane Lion View Post
I use seachems copper test kit
This provides a much more accurate reading: https://www.hannainst.com/hi702-copper-hr.html

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote