Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Reg the reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
The answer to this is very simple and addressed in my first reply.

Other controllers do not have anywhere near the functionality or control suite that the GHL does neither do they have the amount of add on accessories, they also do not get updated with new features as often a GHL do. When was the last time you saw other controllers bring out new bits of hard war for example dedicated flow sensors? All these things you are going to want access to from your APP I am quite sure. They are also items that will save your tank from a crash, an APP wont. You already can get email alerts and turn things on and off through any browser enabled phone.

In regards to just wanting an APP to turn on and off sockets, as mentioned above, you do not need any APP for this, the P3 has a built in webserver it can be run from any browser enabled phone, so you already have access to this.

Having said all that, an APP will come, that is a 100% fact, but lets get the Mitras launched and the extras level inputs launched so you can have as many flow option as you like.
"Other controllers do not have anywhere near the functionality or control suite that the GHL does neither do they have the amount of add on accessories, they also do not get updated with new features as often a GHL do."

Can you elaborate on your statement further? I am just getting back into the hobby after ten years and unfortunately I have not seen a controller in person so this is all new to me. Can you give me examples of function and control the Profilux has that the Apex does not. Also your example of flow sensor how can I utilize this in my reef tank? I guess to measure turnover and to report a failed pump but won't a float switch so the same function?

Last the upgrade ability of the profilux, exactly what types of upgrades are available for legacy controllers? I am a IT professional for 20 years and I have seen my fair share of upgrades and enhancements. It is best to weight the cost of the upgrade against the cost of the replacement and in most cases you are better off with replacing the equipment as oppose to updating. You also have to weight if the upgrade worth the cost.

Last edited by Reg the reefer; 08/18/2012 at 12:21 PM.
Reg the reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2012, 01:17 PM   #27
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Hi

The best thing to do is go to www.ghlna.com and have a look at the mass of accessories available to GHL users, even then not all are listed some are special order.

Other controllers opt for the user to find third party options even if the controller has the ability to use them leaving you having to in many cases hot wire, and I assume with no manufacturer back up. In this respect GHL make so many options decicated to work with their control suite and also dedicated software to control it, with this in mind you end up with a rock solid reliable system backed up and supported by the manufacturer.

In regards to upgrades for the future, in the past when new controllers have come out GHL have never left their existing clients in the dark, everything is backward compatible and when the ProfiLux 3 launched everyone was offered Plus II to P3 upgrade kits. As there is not mention or need either right now for a replacement to the P3 I cant comment on for example a P4 upgrade, but i cant see why GHL would suddenly change their stance on upgrades.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 07:22 AM   #28
Augster
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
Having said all that, an APP will come, that is a 100% fact, but lets get the Mitras launched and the extras level inputs launched so you can have as many flow option as you like.
I'm somewhat relieved to hear that it WILL be released...

Just concerned about when. 2013? 2014?

Mitra's are about to go "live" (at least in the US) at MACNA this weekend, which means resources should pretty much be freed up by now.

The reason I'm asking is that I am a developer myself; but a Mac OS X developer. I'm pretty certain that GHL has no immediate plans to release a Mac version of the ProfiLuxControl software but this glaring issue for us can be alleviated if GHL were to release a iPhone/iPad app; a third party is releasing an Android-only app presently.

If nothing for the iPhone/iPad will be available for another year, then I want to embark on a development project of my own to build an iPhone/iPad/OS X application; I may still do so for an OS X application because running Windows 7 in virtualization on a Mac laptop is painfully slow (much faster on my Mac Pro but that's on the second floor whereas my aquarium will be on the first floor)

Is there a source either through GHL or other third parties that can provide guidance to API's or techniques to access the ProfiLux?

Current Tank Info: JBJ 45, 20 pounds Pukani

Last edited by Augster; 09/28/2012 at 07:30 AM.
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 03:52 AM   #29
unze
Registered Member

Quote:
the P3 has a built in webserver it can be run from any browser enabled phone, so you already have access to this.
The P3 does have a webserver, however after having used the profilux for many years you do find that it does have shortcomings.

Webserver is pretty useless as you can't really do anything with it.

My SMS unit is great as it advises when i get a alarm, however it does not advise what is alarmed so i can't tell tell if it is urgent or not.

When i do water changers i have real issues as i get alarms all the time as i can't turn off the probes and level control.

updates have been promised but it never happens.

not sure if the GHL is any better than others, it also have its strengths and weakness

Last edited by unze; 10/04/2012 at 03:58 AM.
unze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 06:38 AM   #30
Augster
Registered Member

What version of firmware do you have on the P3?

Current Tank Info: JBJ 45, 20 pounds Pukani
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 06:54 AM   #31
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Sounds like you are running old versions of both sms and ProfiLux firmware, and for the level alarms, this is probably due to your safety time out being too short when draining, easily resolved. If not that then still simple to resolve with a bit of support.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 03:33 AM   #32
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Gross View Post
The official GHL statement:
we are developing apps for Android and iPhone at this very moment

the development of the Mitras firmware took many ressources, so the app dev. has been delayed

I am quite sure we have something to show in about 6 weeks
Any update on this ??
Thanks

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digital aquatics, neptune apex, profilux, profilux 3