Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2018, 05:26 PM   #1
proud2bcanadian
Registered Member

60-gallon Cube Build

Long time, no tank!

I've been going crazy for years without a tank, and now that I can dedicate some time to one, I'm planning on setting up my 60 gallon cube.
Between Christmas and New Years, I'm setting it up as a test to ensure it's water-tight, and then am planning to start the build in the new year. I'm going to be mixing some of my old equipment with new technology to justify hanging on to stuff from years past.

So here's my equipment list:
60 gallon (2x2x2) glass with Herbie overflow
Custom stand
Custom acrylic mesh lid
(2) Double T5HO (Hagen GLO) fixtures running ATI bulbs (combination TBD)
Aqua Illumination Prime HD LED -or- Radion XR15W (leaning towards AI Prime due to cost, as it's just supplemental to T5HO)
Skimz UP21 Sump with Ecotech S1 return pump
Aqua-C EV120 Skimmer with Sicca 568gph pump
(2) Eheim Jäger 150watt submersible heaters
Coralife Turbo Twist (wattage TBC) UV Sterilizer
BRS GFO&Carbon Reactor (Single Deluxe) with an MJ1200 pump
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
Glamorca GP03 circulating pump

As the tank progresses, and depending on dosing/coral requirements, I'm looking at automating a lot with a controller like the Apex.

Planning stages right now have me leaning towards mostly softies/LPS but I may incorporate a couple SPS into the mix near the top of the tank. Very shallow sandbed of max. 1" is what I have in mind right now, and mostly staggered shelves for coral placement around a center cave structure.

Stocking, I am unsure so far. It will definitely have 2 clowns (species TBD), a Bangaii or two, Mandarin Goby, and a small school of Parvulus Cardinalfish. I would love to add something like some Blennies/Gobies or a Flame Angel/small Tang or a Longnose Hawkfish, but that depends on the size available from the LFS as well as compatibility. My 240g setup is a few years in the making still, so I won't get anything that will outgrow the setup. Live food is not an issue as we are culturing phyto-rotifers-brine right now and can expand that to larger pods too without any issue.

Anyways, nothing is set in stone above and I'm a bit rusty, so please let me know if there are any concerns for what is seen above!

Happy reefing!

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube build in progress
proud2bcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I love the cube! My first marine aquarium was a 60 cube. Sounds like you have a good plan. Welcome back to aquariuming! Enjoy the process.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Ocean In A Box
Registered Member

I am in the early stages of my 60g cube build as well, and had planned on using the Skimz UP21 sump as well. Do you have it yet or have used it? Any opinions on this?

Rest of your list looks interesting! I'd like to to follow along on this build.

Ocean In A Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 08:57 PM   #4
proud2bcanadian
Registered Member

Funny enough, I have it but have not yet used it. Came missing a bunch of parts as well as a big crack in the front. Waiting for my replacement now, although even the defective one looked quite nice and has me excited to set the proper one up! I'll provide an update once I get it set up.

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube build in progress
proud2bcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote