Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2019, 05:34 PM   #1
toruk
Registered Member

Centerpiece Clown for 72 gallon Bowfront

So after months of research and looking I am picking up a 72 gallon bowfront reef ready aquarium tomm. I want to make the stock around a large pair of clowns. I am thinking the centerpiece will be said clown pair and anemone with maybe some easy corals and other equally/smaller sized fish. I am torn between either a pair of Maroons and a large/group of Bubbletip anemones or a Pair of Amphiprion Polymnus with a Haddoni? Which one would you pick and why and we are some good interesting appropriate sized fish to keep in the tank as well? I know I want a pistol/goby pair and perhaps a yellowhead jawfish. Maybe even on of the larger dwarf angelfish.

toruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

Lighting Maroon Clownfish is my favorite!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lighting-marron-clownfish.jpg (38.6 KB, 10 views)
Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 01:50 AM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Gobies and jawfish are a total no-go with haddoni carpet anemones - they will just end up being expensive anemone food. On top of that, polymnus are probably the meanest clownfish there are - at least that is my experience with them.

BTAs are less dangerous to bottom-dwelling fish but may be roaming around in the tank. So you need to make sure that all powerhead intakes are covered with foam.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 05:53 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

Polymnus are mean and IME, digs into healthy Haddoni. They would go into and out of the Haddoni and kill him by ripping chunks of the inner of the Haddoni.
I knew about this, saw this in my tank, but I keep on thinking "Haddoni are natural hosts of A. polymnus so how bad can it get?" and leave them in there, until they kill by beautiful Green Haddoni. Back to the LFS they went and there will never be A. polymnus in my anemone tanks again.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 06:29 AM   #5
toruk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin_Yang247 View Post
Lighting Maroon Clownfish is my favorite!
Love the pattern but I actually prefer the gold and Maroon coloration. If there was a Gold Lighting Maroon I would definitely pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Gobies and jawfish are a total no-go with haddoni carpet anemones - they will just end up being expensive anemone food. On top of that, polymnus are probably the meanest clownfish there are - at least that is my experience with them.

BTAs are less dangerous to bottom-dwelling fish but may be roaming around in the tank. So you need to make sure that all powerhead intakes are covered with foam.
Yea I think I am going to skip the Haddoni for now. They are really cool so maybe try them in the future. How about a doreensis? I think they are a natural host for Maroons? If not I may just go with Bubble tips and a pair of GS Maroons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Polymnus are mean and IME, digs into healthy Haddoni. They would go into and out of the Haddoni and kill him by ripping chunks of the inner of the Haddoni.
I knew about this, saw this in my tank, but I keep on thinking "Haddoni are natural hosts of A. polymnus so how bad can it get?" and leave them in there, until they kill by beautiful Green Haddoni. Back to the LFS they went and there will never be A. polymnus in my anemone tanks again.
Yea I think I am going to skip on the Polymnus. I think right now it is between Maroons and Bicinctus. Do you think either of them would bother bottm dwelling fish like gobbies?

Unread 03/24/2019, 06:30 AM   #6
toruk
Registered Member

By the way I ended up getting a 50 not a 72. It's smaller but it has a small sump as well. I am hoping to still get the pair of clowns and a few smaller gobbies and blennies.