Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2019, 03:44 PM   #1
FaithKlim
Registered Member

Hanna Phosphate checker vs Red Sea

I recently purchased the HI713 checker for phosphates; I had been using Red Sea for 2 years prior.

My hanna results are showing .83 - .86 ppm
Red Sea shows .10 - .12

I repeated the hanna test 3 times, red sea twice using identical batch of tank water. Can someone please help me understand this huge discrepancy in results?

FaithKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 06:47 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Welcome to the world of hobbyist testing equipment. I have no idea which results, if either, might be more accurate. Are all the animals in the tank doing well enough? You could try getting a Hach PO-19 test kit to see what it says, but it might not be worth the cost.

Unread 08/12/2019, 11:17 PM   #3
FaithKlim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Welcome to the world of hobbyist testing equipment. I have no idea which results, if either, might be more accurate. Are all the animals in the tank doing well enough? You could try getting a Hach PO-19 test kit to see what it says, but it might not be worth the cost.
Yes everything is fine. I battled Dinoflagellates about a year ago & try to keep an eye on my NO3 & PO4; when those bottomed out is when my troubles began. Since keeping those levels elevated, the dinos have stayed away. I use hanna for Alk & Cal testing, thought their phosphate test would be easier than the Red Sea color matching...

FaithKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 06:27 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, the meter is nice, but all the hobbyist equipment goes through problems from time to time. Since everything is doing well enough, I'd just chalk it up to experience. I can't begin to guess which test might be more accurate, although .8 ppm is very high.

Unread 08/15/2019, 09:49 AM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Consider investing in the Hanna Phosphorus test kit. I use it and have been very pleased with the results and I think it is quite accurate.

Accuracy: ±5 ppb ±5% of reading

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 03:28 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

That accuracy rating is fine as long as the reagents are good. If not, then the meter can be far off.

Unread 08/16/2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Since your tank is not new, the Hanna is a new test and it’s results are 8 times normal, I’m thinking the Red Sea May be more correct.

The level of phosphate we keep in our water for corals is very very small and can be difficult to measure accurately with any test, but the Hanna Phosphorus test for UL as suggested by hkgar is a better test.

I have had no luck with Hanna’s calcium test, the sample size is so small, results very widely. Used it a couple times, went back to Salifert.

The Hanna Alk checker is great!

If everything is doing well, corals are growing, not overrun by algae, I would discount the Hanna test,

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/16/2019 at 03:37 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 02:04 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

I only test for dKH, Ca and Mag.
Salifert for Ca and Mag and Hanna for dKH.

Once i a great awhile I will test for Iodine

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 08/17/2019, 02:05 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

I only test for dKH, Ca and Mag.
Salifert for Ca and Mag and Hanna for dKH.
Periodically I will verify my dKH against Salifert and Elos.
Once i a great awhile I will test for Iodine

Unread 08/18/2019, 08:22 PM   #10
tkeracer619
Registered Member

hanna 736ulr checker is the proper one for reef tanks. 713 is not ideal.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2019, 05:35 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

The Hanna ULR Checker is better at the low end of the scale, but both should be accurate within their rated limits given good reagents, just to be clear. I probably would go for the ULR, personally.