Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Kactai
Registered Member

Looking for stocking suggestions for 180G reef tank

I am currently cycling my 180g reef tank. This will be my second tank and I am looking for stocking advice.

I'm planning on keeping the following:

1. Kole or Tomini tang
2. 5-7 Blue green chromis (my lady wants some schoolers and I plan on having some acros in the top part of the tank so that could be super cool)
3. Leopard wrasse (have one in my 75g - fav fish)
4. Starry Blenny
5. A pair of clown fish - not sure what type yet

those are the only ones I'm dead set on. I'm looking to avoid anthias as I will not able to keep up with the constant feeding required.

I do not mind some mild aggression in the tank, however, I would like all of my additions to thrive. I would also like the stocking to remain on the low to moderate side as I'm more of a coral nerd myself.

I'm considering a watchman goby/shrimp pair and a dragonet or mandarin.

Give me some suggestions and I'll get my research on.

Thank you all in advance
K

Kactai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Kactai
Registered Member

Oh I forgot to mention that I would like a second tang. preferably one of the smaller types.

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
scooter31707
Registered Member

I would do a Tomini Tang, Lemonpeel Mimic Tang, and a Purple Tang. Also Chromis are known for killing each other off until they are down to 1-2. Or you could do 2 tangs and a Foxface. I would add a Flame/Longnose Hawkfish, Orchid dottyback, couple of dwarf angels and some flasher/fairy wrasses. A lot of options with a tank that size.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Kactai
Registered Member

Thanks Scooter! I guess people are pretty sick of these stocking help threads .

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:46 AM   #5
JTJreef
Registered Member

I have yellow tang, blackcap basslet, geometric Pygmy hawkfish, barnacle blenny.
Really like all of them. Very interesting and or bright colors.
Other suggestions are red velvet wrasse, sunburst anthias ( I don’t think they require as much food as regular anthias but once a day)

JTJreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Kactai
Registered Member

Oooo I like the look of the hawkfish... I'm gonna look them up a bit more! Thanks for the suggestions.

Unread 01/16/2018, 11:46 AM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kactai View Post
1. Kole or Tomini tang Great
2. 5-7 Blue green chromis (my lady wants some schoolers and I plan on having some acros in the top part of the tank so that could be super cool) The chromis won't school like you think. And like scooter said, they tend to reduce in number until there is 1 or 2 left.
3. Leopard wrasse (have one in my 75g - fav fish) Great. Consider doing a pair of these, and I would add these fish first
4. Starry Blenny Great
5. A pair of clown fish - not sure what type yet Great. I would stay away from the big/mean maroons and clarkiis.

K
Another smaller tang or foxface is a good suggestion. Lots of wrasses left.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:09 PM   #8
MarkW64
Registered Member

You could consider a pair of pipefish like the bluestripe. They add great variety. I was amazed when I learned that some of the pipes do great in a reef -- handle flow just fine.

Unread 01/17/2018, 07:27 PM   #9
running scott
Registered Member

Can’t go wrong with either a flame or long nose hawkfish! They are great as pairs as well. My pair of long nose are almost inseparable. I believe they change sex based on social conditions, I bought mine separately put into tank a week apart, and they paired up emediatly.

running scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Kactai
Registered Member

I had not considered a pipe fish but they are super cool. I’ll research those as well! Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Much appreciated!!! I agree with everything said about the chromis. I’ll probably just try a pair

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:12 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

For a second tang, either Purple, Yellow or Powder Blue tang.
Consider having 2 or 3 Leopard wrasses
Onyx Percular if you want wild type clowns, otherwise SnowOnyx PerculaXOcellaris. These are two of my favorite.
Consider a Flame angel pair
Consider a Mandarin pair.
Finally a few Flasher wrasses or/and Fairy wrasses. They have exceptional colors. None of these are my picture

Once cannot resist these colors. It is futile to resist

This is my Fairy wrasse, a new species yet un-named. Common name is Sailfin or Bluethroat Fairy wrasse

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 01/31/2018 at 11:18 PM.
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:31 PM   #12
Kactai
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have started stocking! I was actually super lucky to get my hands on a moyeri leopard wrasse. So I stared with a Swiss guard basslet a pair of midnight clowns and a yellow flanked fairy wrasse. Two weeks later I added the moyeri and a tailspot blenny. So far so good. I’ve decided against the chromis and am still looking for my next additions in early April most likely. I want to give the system time to adapt to the bio load. My cheato has already filled my Refugium section

Unread 03/09/2018, 01:00 PM   #13
oceanfan913
Registered Member

I had a kole and it got along great with all other fish including a yellow tang. The only fish it did not like was a basset for whatever reason. It was always sifting through the sand so a fun fish to watch eat. My clowns were scared of it when I first got it but they settled in and swam with him after awhile.

oceanfan913 is offline   Reply With Quote