Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2010, 11:39 AM   #1
niqiri
Registered Member

GE Silicone I "Shedding"

I used GE Silicone I in my sump to glue in baffles and re-glue the vertical seams because the previous owner had scraped off all of the silicone on those seams. Any silicone that has been exposed to water has "shed" the top layer of itself, releasing flaky white patches that make their way into my return pump, get ground into small particles and end up in my display so that it looks as though I have thousands of microbubbles. Is there anything I can do about this? I can't really use a filter sock because I have an ATS plumbed directly from my overflow and I'm not sure of what I could put in the display to get rid of these things. Thanks for the help.

niqiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Blown76mav
Registered Member

Silicone has a hard time sticking to itself or any surface it was on. If its coming off the vertical seams then the previous owner didn't get it off 100%. I usually scrape, then clean the area with rubbing alcohol, then re-clean and let sit for a few days. Never had any come unglued.

Current Tank Info: 240g in wall, 150g sump.
Blown76mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 07:35 PM   #3
niqiri
Registered Member

The problem is that the outer layer that has been exposed to water is flaking off. The part that was applied to the seam has no trouble sticking. The only thing I can think of is the warning on the label that said "not for use below the water line". Guess that was a big no-no, but now I have to focus on removing all the crap that it's putting in the water.

niqiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Blown76mav
Registered Member

I have GE Silicone Type 1 in my sump, no problems, never had with the last three I've done either. Too many people on here use GE Type 1 in there sumps below the water line for that to be an issue.

Current Tank Info: 240g in wall, 150g sump.
Blown76mav is offline   Reply With Quote