Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 07/10/2012, 02:20 PM   #1
MNewman
Registered Member

Unhappy with New Avast K2 stirrer

I just got my brand new Avast K2 kalk stirrer today and was very disappointed with the quality of the product. The lid along with the base of the unit are chipped up all around the edges. It looks like maybe a dull bit was used to cut out the pieces. This is a defect in material and dont understand why it was still used in production??? Not to mention all my equiptment that I use in the sch 80 gray color and this unit came to me in white. I didn't know this stirrer came in white, its not offered in white, but its pictured gray from the one shown on the retailers and Avast websites. I tried to call Avast today at 4p but they were already closed. Will update.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avast K2.jpg (34.7 KB, 229 views)
Unread 07/10/2012, 05:14 PM   #2
shaggss
Registered Member

They are a great company and I'm sure they will help you out with the chipped stirrer. as for the grey, I think they changed to white a while ago, not sure of the reason though.

Sit tight, they'll answer soon.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
Unread 07/10/2012, 05:15 PM   #3
shaggss
Registered Member

double post

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
Unread 07/10/2012, 08:43 PM   #4
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Hi MNewman,

I apologize for the chipped stirrer that you received. I agree that those flats were probably cut with a bit that was at or near end of life. Might have been a vacuum pump off, allowing the material to chatter too much. Re: stirrer color, we are slowly phasing out PVC material mainly because of the cosmetic issues. PVC sheet shows scratches much easier than acrylic, and often comes that way from the mfg.

Anyhow, I'm happy to send you a replacement stirrer as soon as we have more in stock, which should be tomorrow. Or, I can send you a return label and you can return that one for a refund. Please send me an email as I can't always check the forums as often as I'd like.

Justin

Unread 07/17/2012, 05:34 AM   #5
MNewman
Registered Member

Hopefully I get my new stirrer this week....I'm ready to get this up and going....

Unread 07/17/2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNewman View Post
Hopefully I get my new stirrer this week....I'm ready to get this up and going....
Hi MNewman,

I know Justin tried to reach out to you last week via email. Unfortunately he is on vacation this week but if you let me know your order # I can try and help.

Dan

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Unread 07/17/2012, 03:53 PM   #7
MNewman
Registered Member

I order this from aquariumspecialty. I sent justin the original invoice last week and can send you the sameone. I hope this stirrer has shipped out already.

Your Order #100016086 (placed on July 5, 2012)
Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Avast Marine Works K2 Kalk Stirrer AMW-K2 1 $249.99
Tom AW-20 Aqua Lifter Pump T1137 1 $16.65
ESV Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser Powder) 4lbs. ESV102 1 $19.90
Subtotal $286.54
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount (July 4th Sale 2012, july4) -$17.19
Points Earned 1420 Specialty Reward Points
Grand Total $269.35

Thank you again,
Aquarium Specialty

Unread 07/18/2012, 02:20 PM   #8
MNewman
Registered Member

Avast Please respond back...I called you 3 times today and left a message. I Sent the invoice to you guys last week as justin requested, and he said a New one will be shipped out. I have not got any tracking number, phone call or email after I emailed my invoice. Its just nice and respectful to be updated on a purchase being a customer. I will contact AquariumSpecialty next week and shipped this back if this doesnt get solved. I havent call them because feel that its not their problem or fault that the strrier is defective from the factory. I think they have done everything correct on their end. Please respond back email or call.

Unread 07/18/2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

There is only one person who answers the phone and he is on vacation this week.

We are building a k2 for you now and it will ship Monday. All of the edges will be polished.

You can also return the item to AS for a full refund if you prefer.

We have parts in the shop that are from this same batch of k2's and today we measured the pitting at .02" on these parts. This is a minor cosmetic flaw and the product is not defective. we are willing to build you one though that has been polished and as stated, that is what we are doing.

I appologize for the slow communication, for faster response please send email to captains@avastmarine.com

Last edited by Avast Marine; 07/18/2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spellin
Unread 07/23/2012, 04:03 PM   #10
MNewman
Registered Member

Checking to see if the K2 shipped out today?

Unread 08/06/2012, 08:03 AM   #11
AquaSpecialNews
RC Sponsor

We received the K2 back. Give us a call when you are ready to move on the ballast.
Thanks
Kelly

Unread 08/06/2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Kelly,

We shipped him a new K2 on 7-23 with a return label to send the old one back to us. Odd that he would instead ship the old one back to you and then ask for a refund.

MNewman, did you get a chance to ship the new one back to us as well or are you planning on keeping that one? We sent an email asking about this last week but never heard back.

Unread 08/07/2012, 06:34 AM   #13
MNewman
Registered Member

AVAST MARINE, How does it feel being ignored, thats why you havent heard back from me and will not ever again. I, NOT ONE TIME ASKED FOR A REFUND, I just want a 100% product as the one I got was crap. I called,emailed,PM'd you, everything to try and get a hold of you but never any responds in a timely matter. There's alot of post on RC stating this.
Half of what your posts say dont make any since. Wont you take a minute and read this thread...........
1)You said "the stirrer would ship out the next day as they will be in stock", that would be the 11th and you just said you shipped it out the 23rd????
2)I posted the 17th "hope I get the stirrer this week" after not hearing anything from your company for after 7 days and you didnt have a clue what was going on with my stirrer...Excuse after excuse"the guy that ships them out is on vacation". I dont care who's on vacation, thats your issue. Not mine. Please dont tell me.
3) Your the one telling me the return it of a refund as the previous post says???? And now your saying I asked for the refund????
4) The stirrer was supposed to be gray and its white. I order it as a grey one like ON YOUR WEBSITE????
5)The second stirrer I got is poor quality also. The output elbow wasnt installed straight. Looking down into the stirrer the elbow is very crooked and put together without anycare. No instructions were included and the manual under the website doesnt work, no stickers on the body, the brown cardboard paper still attached to the bottom base plate.
I bought this stirrer because I wanted a professional looking and working unit, not something hand cut-out that I could spend $20 on and build out of PVC pipe and a ebay stirrer motor.....

Unread 08/07/2012, 07:37 AM   #14
layer3switchguy
Registered Member

Wow, very disapointed to read this... I always thought their products were of high quality, and like to DIY approach as well... Guess I will take a wait and see if others have issues with Avast.

ATI 8 Bulb Powermodule (T5)
2 Vortech MP40W
Prodibio
Profilux P3ex Controlled

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech
Unread 08/07/2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

http://www.avastmarine.com/literature/K1_manual.pdf

The elbow is not glued. It can be removed for cleaning so it probably shifted in shipping.

The "cardboard" on the base is the protective film that comes on acrylic. It is left on to protect the base from scratching. It can be peeled off if so desired.

You had a brand new custom built just for you stirrer 2 weeks after you addressed your concerns. Theres no excuses, thats reasonable.

You still have the prepaid label to return the stirrer if you are unhappy, why you decided to return one to AS and ask them for a refund after you had a replacement sent out from us still confuses me.

Unread 08/07/2012, 09:08 AM   #16
sportzfish
Registered Member

There should be no concern, there products and service are top notch! I have many of their products and am a happy and satisfied customer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by layer3switchguy View Post
Wow, very disapointed to read this... I always thought their products were of high quality, and like to DIY approach as well... Guess I will take a wait and see if others have issues with Avast.

Unread 08/07/2012, 03:41 PM   #17
MNewman
Registered Member

The shaft that the output elbow slides on is crooked making the elbow crooked side to side(not as if you would turn the elbow on the shaft).THAT PIECE IS GLUED ON THE BODY OF THE STIRRER AND CANT BE REDONE AS IT WAS PUT TOGETHER CARELESS.

Nice try posting the K1 instructions...... I bought the K2 so I tryed downloading the instructions on it with no luck as they dont work..... For anybody buying the K2 and need instructions that didnt come with your unit, dont click on the K2 under avast's website for the manual. You have to download the K1 manual. Thats would have been nice to know.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...2-Kalk-Stirrer

Excuses all the time, and never will own up to the mistakes..
1)Posting K1 instructions for my K2.(like I should know to download a different manual) (EXCUSE)
2)No instructions with the K2's (CARELESSNESS)
3)Trying to say that the elbow is fine when its really not installed straight into the body because of being careless. (CARELESSNESS)
4)If the cardboard paper comes on the stirrer as stated by you, why didnt the first one have it? (theres one on those famous EXCUSES)
4)Shipping the replacement product out took longer than you qouted. (that happens but I got no update or commuication whats was going on)
5)Sending me a replacement product that was built careless..(CARELESSNESS)
6)Sending me a white K2 not a Grey one as I ordered. (Lack of commuicationa nd customer service)
7)Its time to update the website AVAST (NO INSTRUCTIONS to downlaod AND THE PRODUCT HAS CHANGED COLORS) I think people would like to know these things??
8)Very POOR Customer service skills.

Last edited by MNewman; 08/07/2012 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 08/07/2012, 05:36 PM   #18
redtop03
moved slow

I purchased the DIY K2 stirrer and am well pleased with price and quality,although the cut edges aren't perfectly polished,the quality of material is excellent....

you have to keep in mind that these units are meant to be affordable for the majority of us consumers,unlike say a Deltec KM500S which is a beautifully polished piece of equipment,but with a premium price tag as well....

if Avast has to spend the extra time and effort in polishing,they are gonna have to increase pricing as well...

these units work exceptionally well and for the price,can't be beat in performance....

for the K1 and K2 stirrer instructions,the same applies to both stirrers,K2 is just a larger unit.....the instructions simply tells you how much kalk to use per your tank size and evaporation rate

Unread 08/07/2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Return the second stirrer and your refund will be processed.

We have sent 2 return labels now.

Trying to get a refund from AS after getting a second unit shipped from us is, well you know...

Trying to make us look bad while you play your little game is even worse.

Thinking about this whole ordeal is obviously just making you upset, please return the unit and we can all move on.

Closed Thread