Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2020, 07:42 PM   #1
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

1200 gallon: should I buy or no?

I have the opportunity to buy a used 1200 gallon tank for a reasonable price
10x5x3

This would be a fowlr only... what do you guys think cost would be for skimmer, lights, sump, etc???

I have around 600lb dry Pukani already in my garage

I’m thinking I might just buy it and store it until I save up. Always been a dream of mine to have a massive angelfish/butterflyfish tank. I’ve been accumulating dry rock over the past few years

In the past I’ve had a 75 gallon, I was looking for a 300 and this tank is similarly priced...

RadagastWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2020, 12:05 PM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Obviously the bigger you go the more equipment costs. With a 1200g tank the skimmer alone will be several thousand or if you’re lucky you will find a used skimmer but it will be expensive to have shipped to you due to the size/weight. Sump wise you’re looking at a 200g + and lighting could be all sorts of different options.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 07:41 AM   #3
aaronpentz
Registered Member

Not to mention the second mortgage electric bill you'll have to power it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

First I'm like, "That's a dream tank. Make it happen!" Then I look at that three foot depth. I have a 30 inch deep tank and I'm tall and it's still a pain. Keeping the glass clean will be a never-ending struggle. It's hard to recommend any tank more than 24 inches deep.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 10:52 AM   #5
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
First I'm like, "That's a dream tank. Make it happen!" Then I look at that three foot depth. I have a 30 inch deep tank and I'm tall and it's still a pain. Keeping the glass clean will be a never-ending struggle. It's hard to recommend any tank more than 24 inches deep.
+1... IMO, 27” is about max height! Anything over 24” is what I call a ‘Right Guard’ tank, because to work in the tank my armpits will be under water!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 06:31 PM   #6
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

I love the 36” height but it will not fit in my doors. I’m planning on buying it and storing it in my garage. I’m planning a move in the next few years and I can set it up when I move

I almost pulled the trigger on a 300DD a few years ago but decided to wait. Bc I don’t plan on living in this house much longer. Why spend 5 to 10k on a setup to just take it all down in a few years..

Saw this deal for not much more than a 300.. and a new tank this size would be like 20k so I’m gonna grab it and try a build eventually. If it becomes too costly I’ll shut it down but you only live once I’ll give it a shot

Last edited by RadagastWizard; 03/23/2020 at 06:37 PM.
RadagastWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well yay! I'm sure you can make it work. Dream tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2020, 01:21 PM   #8
tom obrecht
Registered Member

That’s a big tank for sure! On top of equipment costs and set up costs don’t rule out humidity issues. I’ve seen displays a lot smaller than that turn basements and living areas into a tropical zone with humidity. My current tank is a third of that size and I don’t think I would want anything larger but that’s me. Once you get past the 700-800 gallon range most filter equipment ect goes almost to a commercial level and watch out for sticker shock!

Unread 03/24/2020, 02:43 PM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadagastWizard View Post
I love the 36” height but it will not fit in my doors. I’m planning on buying it and storing it in my garage. I’m planning a move in the next few years and I can set it up when I move

I almost pulled the trigger on a 300DD a few years ago but decided to wait. Bc I don’t plan on living in this house much longer. Why spend 5 to 10k on a setup to just take it all down in a few years..

Saw this deal for not much more than a 300.. and a new tank this size would be like 20k so I’m gonna grab it and try a build eventually. If it becomes too costly I’ll shut it down but you only live once I’ll give it a shot
Mind me asking what state you live in?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2020, 12:18 PM   #10
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I think it would be fine if the reasonable price is actually a price you want to spend for a tank (regardless of the size)... I mean if someone sold a 10k gallon tank for $25000 that's probably a reasonable price... but if you're not willing to spend 25k on this hobby that isn't reasonable.

Yeah the height is a pain for maintenance but at that height you are not putting your arm into the tank to clean anything, use strong magnet cleaners that float. Have a really long pair of tongs/grabby tool, and you can keep your arm relatively dry.

That said, do not underestimate how much humidity that tank will cause, do not underestimate how much electricity it will cost to keep the whole body of water in the 80° range. It is going to have a lot of unseen costs associated with it beyond the cost of the tank. Would I do it? Probably not, because California has super expensive electricity.

Unread 03/26/2020, 07:51 PM   #11
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
I think it would be fine if the reasonable price is actually a price you want to spend for a tank (regardless of the size)... I mean if someone sold a 10k gallon tank for $25000 that's probably a reasonable price... but if you're not willing to spend 25k on this hobby that isn't reasonable.

Yeah the height is a pain for maintenance but at that height you are not putting your arm into the tank to clean anything, use strong magnet cleaners that float. Have a really long pair of tongs/grabby tool, and you can keep your arm relatively dry.

That said, do not underestimate how much humidity that tank will cause, do not underestimate how much electricity it will cost to keep the whole body of water in the 80° range. It is going to have a lot of unseen costs associated with it beyond the cost of the tank. Would I do it? Probably not, because California has super expensive electricity.
Yep - even with a decent solar generating window my tank at 210 gallons uses enough to question it. Also have a 30" tall tank and, well, it is frustrating. Something I never considered is what happens with age. Granted I'm only 53 but as luck would have it needed a full hip replacement last month and now that 30" tall tank, which requires me to be on a ladder, is beyond frustrating today.

Tank size does matter. If you are good at planning and making lists you may be ok . I owned a 100 gallon previously then went to a pair of 29 gallon cubes, then merged those to a 40 breeder, and 2 years back upgraded to a 210 gallon. You would be surprised what I forget due to the size increase. More salt, more water, more rocks, and the list goes on. Crazy but it was one right after another that I was like oops, forgot. Plumbing...

Anyway best of luck. Sounds like a nice tank. If you have time and it is in your budget great.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

My tank is 40 inches tall. 8 feet long, 48 inches deep and about 40 tall. Display tank is about 850 gallons or so.

1- you will spend 10-15k on filtration if you do it right. Between skimmers, pumps, iv etc etc figure 10k.
2- electric bill- I think mine is an extra hundred or so a month, not a big deal.
3- salt, chemicals, food- couple hundred a month.

It’s expensive but I love my tank and I’m sure you will love yours. Good luck.

Unread 04/20/2020, 02:36 PM   #13
foreverreef
Registered Member

Yeah mine is 8 feet long 48" deep and 48"wide. Yes the depth is a pain Everytime something drops or moves it is a pain! And yes you will spend 10k AT LEAST on filters and pumps etc. I have a deltec skimmer running mine it was 3k alone. With leds the cost of running is way better now. But to heat the dam thing is like 4000 watts and it pulls 20+ amps to heat but once it is up to temp it only cycle the heaters but just be wary of it. Also a word for the wise. If you are moving or building, make sure you get AT LEAST 4 dedicated 20amp circuits to the tank and put water under the tank or the fish room. That is huge. I have 2 back up pumps on my tank and a big fuge. Just remember everything is more or bigger. I does a ton of stuff a month. That is my biggest expense by far a month are the supplements. I have to does calcium, because it was cheaper that buying a reactor big enough to supply the tank. Just my thoughts. I am moving to Florida in a few years and we are already in the planning stages for the tank to be moved and as out house gets done in FLA. I am fixing all the mistakes I made here in Ohio down in Florida. I thought I thought of everything with this build but I realized I did not. Hopefully this time I get it "right". Good luck though it's awesome to get your dream tank. It really is!

my wife told me size mattered...I'm not sure 1000+gallons of salt water is what she meant!

Current Tank Info: 1000g display LEDs. Refugium and a few other goodeis
foreverreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2020, 02:09 PM   #14
zheka757
Registered Member

did you buy it?

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote