Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Merten’s Anemone

I ordered a Merten’s from DD. It arrives Wednesday. This will be my first Merten’s. Any tips?

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2019, 08:34 PM   #2
cali9dub
Registered Member

Merten’s Anemone

Cover any powerheads you have.
Oh. And have a huge tank because that nem will grow fast and get about 3’ across.

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2019, 11:08 PM   #3
Overboard
Premium Member

I have kept a Merten’s for about two years. It has been quite hardy for me. Not as colorful as other carpets, but the clowns love it.

Unread 05/25/2019, 11:26 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
I ordered a Merten’s from DD. It arrives Wednesday. This will be my first Merten’s. Any tips?
If you don't have it already, order Cipro (Fish Flox from Thomas Labs is Cipro and available without a prescription).
Also prepare a quarantine tank.
You want to observe the anemone for at least a week, better two, to be sure it's healthy. And should it be sick you want to have the medication ready to go.

As for the placement in the display tank, mertensi like to sit in rock crevices the same way as crispa, and they can retreat into it with enough force to make a loose rock pile crumble. So you better have a solid aquascape that is ideally cemented.
And like crispa they like decent flow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I’ll order the Cipro ASAP.

Unread 05/26/2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
I have kept a Merten’s for about two years. It has been quite hardy for me. Not as colorful as other carpets, but the clowns love it.
How much has it grown in the two years?

Unread 05/26/2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Overboard
Premium Member

Great suggestions from ThRoewer! Having the antibiotic ready is important.

One other tip, I have my Merten’s with its foot anchored in a small clay pot. I then have live rock around the perimeter so the anemone is supported as it spreads out. Seems to like spot. It is has never moved from that set up I, even when I relocated it from one spot in the tank to another. Sort of a detritus trap, but the flow helps.

Unread 05/26/2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Overboard
Premium Member

It’s has only grown about 4 inches across. I rarely feed it.

Unread 05/26/2019, 11:37 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

Good luck with this rare anemone. Anemones only grow if fed, either intentionally by Reefers or what ever it catch. Fish foods or fishes (or snails). Good condition and light will only help them grow very slowly. When ever I have an anemone reach the size I want for the space I have in my tank, I just stop feeding and the hardly ever out grow it.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Unread 05/30/2019, 06:37 AM   #11
Planetmacro
Registered Member

The Merten’s arrived yesterday in excellent condition.

Last edited by Planetmacro; 06/01/2019 at 05:44 AM.
Unread 05/30/2019, 06:39 AM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Great. Keep us update

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 06:50 AM   #13
Overboard
Premium Member

Looks good!

Unread 05/30/2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Under the right light it has gold tips on its tentacles. Also, the base has beautiful red spots. The clown in the picture is only temporary. After the nem grows a bit I'll decide what species for it to host.

Unread 05/30/2019, 09:08 AM   #15
cali9dub
Registered Member

Pic of my Mertens. The close up with the clown is from April of 2013 and in the full tank shot you’ll see where it settled and how big it got in just 2 months (you can see the same clownfish underneath it) full tank pic is from June of 2013. Loved the Mertens and would definitely get another, but they grow big and fast !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Just fed the Merten's Small Hikari Mysis. Very quick feeding response. This is a well conditioned carpet. Went to buy the second one but it was gone.

Unread 05/30/2019, 10:42 AM   #17
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Pic of my Mertens. The close up with the clown is from April of 2013 and in the full tank shot you’ll see where it settled and how big it got in just 2 months (you can see the same clownfish underneath it) full tank pic is from June of 2013. Loved the Mertens and would definitely get another, but they grow big and fast !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Nice one! I hope to grow it fast. I saw one on YouTube that's 40 inches in diameter!

Unread 05/30/2019, 11:07 AM   #18
D-Nak
Registered Member

Nice pick up!

Mertens seem to be more like haddoni in terms of their "durability" with shipping. Most I've seen in the LFS looked really good.

Unread 05/31/2019, 10:09 AM   #19
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Nice pick up!

Mertens seem to be more like haddoni in terms of their "durability" with shipping. Most I've seen in the LFS looked really good.
Thanks. I agree that it ships better that gigantea and magnifica

Unread 05/31/2019, 01:57 PM   #20
hottuna
Registered Member

what's a guy that supposedly has all kinds of wholesale connections doing buying an anemone off DD?

Unread 05/31/2019, 02:25 PM   #21
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
what's a guy that supposedly has all kinds of wholesale connections doing buying an anemone off DD?
Mertensi are rarely imported and therefore kind of hard to find.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2019, 07:47 PM   #22
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
My friend at the wholesaler means well but he can’t tell a haddoni from a mertensii. I gave up trying to get a mertensii from him so when I saw one on DD I bought it. It wasn’t expensive and it is in excellent health albeit a bit on the small size.

Unread 06/03/2019, 08:15 PM   #23
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Oops! I spooked my percs while taking the video. The mertensii is in a 4" pot. My poor haddoni is still bleached but getting better. At night the female perc sleeps in the mertensii and the male in the haddoni. https://youtu.be/g3rFWqLAB1M

Unread 06/03/2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Mertensi are rarely imported and therefore kind of hard to find.
I'd like to know how the collectors get the Merten's and the magnificas off the rocks without damaging the foot. The haddonis are easy to collect because they live in sand. That's probably why haddonis are common in the trade.

Last edited by Planetmacro; 06/03/2019 at 08:39 PM.
Unread 06/03/2019, 08:34 PM   #25
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
I only have ONE wholesale connection and when my friend retires I'll have NO connections unless I get a resale number and run a business which I doubt I'll be doing at my age.

The writing's on the wall. Eventually we will not be able to get wild fish. I am very impressed with what Bali Aquarich has accomplished. They've just announced the successful breeding and raising of the Regal Angel, P. diacanthus! Their captive bred angels, tangs, clown triggers, etc. look perfect but not their clowns. There's still something off with they're captive bred clowns although they are probably the best captive bred clowns around. I just prefer natural colors and patterns and don't care much for the "designer" morphs.