Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Harry Muscle
Registered Member

Who Makes the Best RO Style Filter Housings

Technically this will be for a freshwater tank, but you guys know more about filters and RO than any freshwater forums would.

I'm going to be setting up a four stage filter for an automated water change setup. Stage one will be a pre filter, followed by three (overkill) carbon filters designed to deal with chloramine. However there will be no RO membrane, TDS meter, pressure gauge, etc. So I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper to piece this setup together from parts rather than buying a pre made RO filter and removing parts.

I've decided to go with brand name John Guest fittings to make sure I'm getting the most leak proof joins possible for quick connect fittings. Next I'm trying to decide which filter housings to buy. I see that Pentair is a pretty popular company in this field with quite a few filter housing types to choose from. However, after reading reviews on some of their housings on Amazon I found way too many reports of the housings leaking. So I'm wondering what individuals here would recommend as a reliable filter housing that will never leak.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 07:53 AM   #2
ded65
Registered Member

I think this is my first post, but I have had freshwater tanks for many years. I know freshwater fish need the minerals that an RO system will remove. Unless you are replacing the minerals (there are additives) that the system removes, it will not be good to the health of the fish. I refill mine with treated (Seachem Prime) tap water. My LiquaGen RO/DI works well with no leaks and you can find them on Amazon or their website. In a saltwater tank, the salt replaces the filtered minerals.

ded65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 07:58 AM   #3
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
Originally Posted by ded65 View Post
I think this is my first post, but I have had freshwater tanks for many years. I know freshwater fish need the minerals that an RO system will remove. Unless you are replacing the minerals (there are additives) that the system removes, it will not be good to the health of the fish. I refill mine with treated (Seachem Prime) tap water. My LiquaGen RO/DI works well with no leaks and you can find them on Amazon or their website. In a saltwater tank, the salt replaces the filtered minerals.
i think he's talking about just useing the sediment and carbon parts of an rodi unit which will work fine as the membrane is what will remove most of the minerals.

as for the canisters I can't say brand name's but the ones from buckeyehydro or spectrapure are quality units. just buy the 3 or 4 canisters from them along with a bracket to fit them all on and it should work fine.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Harry Muscle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty51008 View Post
i think he's talking about just useing the sediment and carbon parts of an rodi unit which will work fine as the membrane is what will remove most of the minerals.

as for the canisters I can't say brand name's but the ones from buckeyehydro or spectrapure are quality units. just buy the 3 or 4 canisters from them along with a bracket to fit them all on and it should work fine.
Thanks. I've heard those brands mentioned on here before. Anyone know who actually makes their housings? I'm located in Canada, so knowing the actual brand might allow me to find them locally or at least in the same currency.

Thanks,
Harry

Unread 02/28/2016, 02:32 PM   #5
cougareyes
Registered Member

BRS has everything you need

cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Harry Muscle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougareyes View Post
BRS has everything you need
Actually I haven't been able to find just the filter housings on their site ... do they actually carry just filter housings on their own without all the extras?

Thanks,
Harry

Unread 02/28/2016, 06:38 PM   #7
cougareyes
Registered Member

are you looking for these:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/revers...canisters.html

cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2016, 06:46 PM   #8
Harry Muscle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougareyes View Post
Yes, thank you ... I looked on their site for these before but somehow didn't find them I guess.

Thanks,
Harry