Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2006, 06:43 AM   #151
Sullivmw
Premium Member

For those of you that have a lot of SPS's, or large pieces and do not know a good QT tank, look into a Rubbermaid tank, or something equivalent. For about $70 you can pick up a 150g tank which should hold a good deal of your stock.

Rubbermaid also has 50g options, all the way to a 300g tank. The prices are much cheaper if you buy through a store like Tractor Supply, or someone like them.

Just in case someone is not familiar with the tank, here is a link :

Rubbermaid stock tanks

(PS. replace the stock bulkhead right when you get it, it will save you many headaches down the road)

Sullivmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2006, 11:33 AM   #152
ikatobiko
Awaiting Email Confirmation

AEFWs

I don't think it is necessary to remove all your rock or even all the acropora tissue. If you remove 95% of the acro tissue from your tank the AEFWs may have some food for a little while longer but will eventually still starve, although it may take slightly longer.

Quote:
Originally posted by MSHUR
guys, i agree with all of u..but,,they still can laid eggs on the base of my birdnest.. Like the do on the Lr..no?
And its only one coral)
what about the rest of my corals?
So, u dont think its a good idea to just remove all my LR?

mike

ikatobiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2006, 11:33 AM   #153
ikatobiko

AEFWs

I don't think it is necessary to remove all your rock or even all the acropora tissue. If you remove 95% of the acro tissue from your tank the AEFWs may have some food for a little while longer but will eventually still starve, although it may take slightly longer.

Quote:
Originally posted by MSHUR
guys, i agree with all of u..but,,they still can laid eggs on the base of my birdnest.. Like the do on the Lr..no?
And its only one coral)
what about the rest of my corals?
So, u dont think its a good idea to just remove all my LR?

mike

Unread 08/18/2006, 12:01 PM   #154
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Re: AEFWs

Quote:
Originally posted by ikatobiko
I understand that,but i have to get a Qt tank for acros,
s, i fugure i can use my display tank and keep all acros there ,but take rock out.

mike

MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2006, 04:31 PM   #155
gflat65
Registered Member

Re: AEFWs

Quote:
Originally posted by ikatobiko
To be sure they were all gone, you'd have to wait a bit longer than four-five weeks to reintroduce acros, though. You'd basically want to go four to five weeks from the time the last of the acro tissue was eaten. That could be a waiting game and a guessing game...

Unread 08/18/2006, 05:56 PM   #156
Sparkss
Registered Member

Re: Re: AEFWs

Quote:
Originally posted by gflat65
To be sure they were all gone, you'd have to wait a bit longer than four-five weeks to reintroduce acros, though. You'd basically want to go four to five weeks from the time the last of the acro tissue was eaten. That could be a waiting game and a guessing game...
Agreed.. and even with trying to be sure that we got all acro flesh out, we still plan to let it sit for 2 months... just to be sure. I don't know about anyone else, but the whole "guessing" game about if the AEFWs are gone or not is just not worth it to think about having to go through all of this yet again

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2006, 10:31 PM   #157
ikatobiko

Re: Re: Re: AEFWs

Well, I too want to be more safe than sorry. I lost many colonies to these beasts so I am playing it really safe. I basically got rid of ALL of my corals. I tried to get as much coral tissue out as possible, although I am sure I left some behind although I don't see anything growing. My tank has been running without corals for over 4 months.

In the meantime, I changed m aquascaping, installed new lighting, set up a QT and also redesigned and built new overflows out of acrylic. I also am in the process of refinishing my cabinet and canopy.

Every coral will be treated with Levamisole or Betadine and interceptor in a 5 gallon bucket and then spend 6 to 8 weeks in the quarantine tank, with weekly dips. I do not plan to go through this again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
Agreed.. and even with trying to be sure that we got all acro flesh out, we still plan to let it sit for 2 months... just to be sure. I don't know about anyone else, but the whole "guessing" game about if the AEFWs are gone or not is just not worth it to think about having to go through all of this yet again

Unread 08/19/2006, 03:01 AM   #158
ltelus
Premium Member

i went over to one of our club members homes last night who just discovered the worms.We dipped corals with the betadine @3ml per liter and i can say that the worms seemed dead after 25 mins and pretty much turned to dust when touched at this point.
One thing to be aware of is there seems to be difference in various brands of betadine.We used cvs brand which was around $18,i picked up a bottle at Target which was only $5 and although the iodine povidone levels are the same the list of inactive ingredients is very different,just something to be aware of incase one of the inactive ingredients is actually relevent.

ltelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 06:48 AM   #159
david8956
Registered Member

Quote:
We used cvs brand which was around $18
I just picked up the CVS brand yesterday too, it was only $9.79 here for an 8 oz. bottle.

My experience was pretty much the same as everyone's...I used 20 ml in 6 liters of water, within about 5 min. all the AEFW started turning loose and falling off. Went the whole 25 min, then spent about another 15 - 20 min. trying to get all the eggs off. (I found a wooden toothpick with the sharp end broken off works best for this as the eggs are kind of sticky and will stick to the toothpick)

I only had two Acros that seem to be effected, both are small Tri-Colors, I only removed and treated those two so we'll see. They are very pale right now, so I put them low in a lot of flow.

Current Tank Info: 72 G Bowfront reef with custom Maple stand & canopy. 20 G sump, Eheim 1262 return pump, 2 MJ Stream mods. 2 - 250 watt SE 14K AquaConnects & 2 X 110 watt VHO. EuroReef ES 6-1 skimmer. 1/10hp Arctica chiller.
david8956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 08:32 AM   #160
gflat65
Registered Member

I know my fun with AEFW's has changed the way I treat all corals (SPS, LPS, or softie/zoa). Nothing goes in the displays without TMPCC dips and weeks of QT. I seem to have kicked the AEFW habit the first time, but I know they could pop up again without warning, so I'm not to content yet. It's been since around March that I started treatments and have seen no signs since, so I'm holding on to hope...

Unread 08/19/2006, 09:54 AM   #161
Sparkss
Registered Member

our acros are still so traumatized from the last Levamisole treatment that we don't dare do another treatement of anything for a while now. I am almost tempted to put them back into at least the prop tank so that they can have some stable parameters within which to recover. But I hate to put them back within reach of the AEFWs that I know are still in there. Going to do a complete water cahnge using tank water and move them back to the other treatment tank this afternoon, but I am now regretting ever recommending Levamisole to anyone as I hold it solely responsible for our coral deaths. We had done a treatment some time back with minimal losses, and can't honestly say what is different this time, if anything the water parameters are more stable and controlled now than before. It just makes me sick to think about it all.

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Unread 08/19/2006, 03:29 PM   #162
gflat65
Registered Member

I had the same experience. I was doing water changes every other day or third day, sometimes from the main display, but more so with new salt water. the skimmer would pull out some nasty stuff, real thick and brown, but slimy, too. Not like normal skimmer output. I did do 100% changes with water from my main display when I did the treatment, getting temp stable first. That allowed me to rinse and vinegar the tank and equipment to kill any stragglers. I've had better luck with my monti's, in terms of mortality rate. I've only really lost one colony, but they have all browned up.

Unread 08/19/2006, 03:36 PM   #163
raddogz
Premium Member

Tom - I did a Betadine treatment a week ago, and that seemed to help. I have pulled half of the sps out, and decided to do a fluke treatment in a quarentine tank at work.

I can't tell if the Betadine really did anything, but the corals were not as stressed out as the TPMCC dips I was doing before.

At the moment I really think all of us are damned if we don't try something and damned if we sit back and do nothing.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
- Quentin Crisp

Current Tank Info: 180g Reef
raddogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 04:53 PM   #164
Sparkss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raddogz
At the moment I really think all of us are damned if we don't try something and damned if we sit back and do nothing.
I know exactly what you mean . I just got finished moving the corals back to the other treatment tank. No medicine added prior to it, but just 100% clean tank water. Started using bionic 2 part in the treatment tank last week, going to try to fingure out a good dosing regime and hopefully be confident enough in the corals strength to do either a betadine or TMPCC dip of all of them next weekend.

Unread 08/20/2006, 05:17 AM   #165
Neptune777
Premium Member

Melev....how's the coral looking now after the initial Betadine Dips? Still alive?

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2006, 11:13 AM   #166
melev
Moved On

Yep, still alive, but not colorful at all. Polyps come out at night, like before.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2006, 06:55 PM   #167
david8956
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep, still alive, but not colorful at all. Polyps come out at night, like before
Still O.K ? My Tri - color Acros looked like the pic you posted 8-17 of your Tyree frag for a few days, then today I noticed a very light "dusting" of tan / brown algae on them. Still have a little PE. Does not look good for these two. (These had a 25 min Betadine dip)

Current Tank Info: 72 G Bowfront reef with custom Maple stand & canopy. 20 G sump, Eheim 1262 return pump, 2 MJ Stream mods. 2 - 250 watt SE 14K AquaConnects & 2 X 110 watt VHO. EuroReef ES 6-1 skimmer. 1/10hp Arctica chiller.
david8956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2006, 11:58 PM   #168
melev
Moved On

I'll go check on it now....

Okay, it is 1am here and the lights have been out for some time. Every branch has good polyp extention like the past. The coral itself is beige all over, ever since the dip. The very tips of a few branches have a touch of the purple, but it is virtually invisible. I have to think the betadine dyed the coral, or it killed the symbiotic zoanthellae that provides the normal coloration.

Unread 08/22/2006, 08:22 AM   #169
SaraB
Coral Killer

I am curious as to why some are experiencing such loss while using Levamisole. I only lost about 4 frags out of 28 Acro's treated while using it and I am wondering if I had the dosage correct. I have the plastic bottle with the small amount of yellow powder at the bottom. I added RO water to the 500 ML fill line and used a little over 50 ML per treatment in about 9 gallons of water. Is my dosage way off or are some using too much?

Unread 08/22/2006, 08:32 AM   #170
Travis
10 and over club

Sara, your mortality rate was similar to mine. I suffered a 25-30% loss and I was treating at 60ppm. The losses are not fun but, IMO, worth it to know that the FW's are gone for good. If I had sat back and done nothing, there would have eventually been a 100% loss from the FW's themselves.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 08:48 AM   #171
SaraB
Coral Killer

Travis - was my treatment amount of Levamisole adequate? I did 5 treatments and kept the Acro's in QT for 5 weeks.

Unread 08/22/2006, 10:10 AM   #172
raddogz
Premium Member

Can't speak on Levamisole, but had a small colony sittng in betadine for a couple of hours (ummm...had dinner and kinda forgot).

Pulled the colony out let it sit in rinse water, and put it back in. It browned out considerably (I thought I killed all the zoanthellae) It's actually doing fine now. Brown and very p'od

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
- Quentin Crisp

Current Tank Info: 180g Reef
raddogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 10:40 AM   #173
melev
Moved On

Here's the coral as of today. Just a hint of lavendar on some of the tips, and polyped out about as much as normal when the lights are on.

Unread 08/22/2006, 02:44 PM   #174
Neptune777
Premium Member

That's excellent Melev.....good to see it has survived the first dip. So what are your plans for the whole system? Have you seen damage on any other colonies?

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 03:03 PM   #175
melev
Moved On

No, I've not seen any proof that they exist on anything but this coral. Other pieces that have STN'd were tested in the iodine bath, but resulted in none present. I've been thinking about what to do, but didn't opt to jump into panic mode.